JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks, I'm looking at getting my first AR-platform rifle down the road a bit, so I'm putting some $$ away for the eventual purchase.

My needs are simple. I don't need a battle rifle. I won't be hunting with it and I won't be trying to win any long-range shooting competitions. I simply want one in my collection - well - to kind of be a thorn in the side of those that would seek to limit our rights to own such things.

So, I've been looking around for a while. I wanted a rifle I could add to/modify later if I wanted, but could start with a decent shooter to begin with. I'm looking at what you would call an entry-level rifle, so really about $700 or less. I've looked at the M&P platform (I already own an M&P 15-22 rifle, and I really like it) as well as a few others. But in my research, I found the Mossberg MMR Tactical. I already own a Mossberg 500, which I really like, and I've owned a Mossberg .22 in the past. I consider them to turn out a decent product, but they're not who I would typically think of for an AR platform.

I've done some research online, but I'm not finding a lot of info. In general, most folks seem to agree it shoots very well and, due to the free-floated barrel, is very accurate. Most also agree the trigger sucks and it could use a new pistol grip. I like the flat top, the quad rail and the flip up sights that come with the model I'm looking at.

So my question to NWFA - anyone seen/shot/owned one of these? For about $700, what do you think? I really like this style since I'm a fan of the quad rail up front. I know I can always replace the trigger if it really bothers me. Other than that, I can't really see any drawbacks. How about you folks?

mm11.jpg

Last Edited:
I've heard some folks mention that - I'm used to it on my M&P 15-22, and if it really bothers me, I know I can add the clip-on Magpul hand guards if I really need them.

I know a couple people that have them. Not what you have pictured but MMR's anyhow. They seem to be fine and shoot as good a a 1,500 dollar "cool kid AR", Built from purchased parts like most AR's. I think there are just as good of options for less money personally. I don't like the integrated trigger guard grip thinggy and therefor a slightly different lower receiver is not as easily compatible with other grips.

$430

$700

$588

$819 (Over budget but it is a SIG!)

I am not a fan of the "quad rail" either and replacing them is spendy. Other than that it seems like a lot of rifle for the money backed up by a strong company you know will be around next year. When it comes to the AR platform the design is pretty proven and universal so most of what you are buying comes down to ergonomics and aesthetics (at least in a entry level rifle) I have one of the Stark grips and quite like it. The angle is slightly different than the standard pistol grip and I find it beneficial. The Mossberg has good looking solid non folding sights which I think is a good thing.

To me most of what buying a entry level AR is about is picking the accoutrements you like. If you are going to be happy with that quad rail and standard tele stock then I think its a reasonable purchase. If you plan on swapping any of that out I would look at something else purely for economic reasons. Lots of times you can find unfired AR's that have been mod'ed already that are as cheap as stock configuration M4's

Thanks for the info guys. I actually made my decision back in October when I originally posted this thread. The decision? I went with the Ruger SR556e - on layaway now. All things considered, I decided to sell another gun to step up just a bit. I'm a Ruger fan and just liked their version. The Mossberg wouldn't have been a bad choice, I just liked the Ruger better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top