JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry I spelled it wrong.
Maverick.or what ever
Any way they are on sale on PSA .
Classic firearms .com
And a few other online place.
For under 200 bucks

I owned one back when.

Good basic beater pump action.

Always worked when I shot it.

I owned one back when.

Good basic beater pump action.

Always worked when I shot it.
Thanks I have a buddy that wants a home defense shotgun.
But doesn't want to pay big money.
I told him I would look around.
But if I can buy one online and have it shipped to his local gun shop .we both win

I don't know what the deal is but there are a few online store that have them on sale.
Lol I know my friend will talk and say he wants one but will never actually go get one .
He has his hunting RIFLE and a 38 pistol.
But he started talking about a shotgun.
But he will never spend the money on one.
Lol but I WILL

The EMPEROR NAME makes me think Japanese
I think it's still Turkish.

Same exact shotgun is imported by at least 5 different manufacturers/importers.

ATI
Dickinson
Emperor
Armscor

Probably a few others.

From what I've read it's a solid beater.

Lol I went on there web site set up a password all that .
Im in the process of buying two .
But there website doesn't have the FFL DEALER I WANT on there list .
So I need to get some more information.
To proceed.

I have a 5+1 Maverick 88 and it is super realable. I have shot multiple cases of 00 buckshot over the years. I still have it in my gun safe. It has the trigger safety where the rest of mosssberg shotguns have a tang safety.

I only know one person that has one but are they a good cheap home defense shotgun or are they garbage.
theyre very good shotguns for the price

just bought one for my dad

my buddy has one with well over 20k rounds thru it, sold it to my brother, he put 5k rounds thru it and sold it back to my buddy who has had it ever since.

i would buy one for myself without second thought.

also, cheers. im drinkin coors light

They're fine, but I'd treat myself to something a little nicer. Helped get one for my FiL, he's never shot it but likes having it and takes it with him when ever they go "camping"... I think it's perfect as a gift for that type of or similar gun owner.

PS; I've already told him to at least shoot a box through it, he just won't... don't need any preaching on my end.

The Maverick 88 is a Mossberg 500 with a different safety and some additional plastic parts. Also, you can't change the forward grip easily. I believe it's pinned in place. Regardless, they are mechanically as reliable as a 500/590. It would be very hard to get as reliable a gun as a Maverick 88 for less money.

With that said, the 500 isn't that much more, but if you're counting pennies, the 88 is a hell of a gun.

Edit to add:
LuckyGunner.com has this to say about the 88:

"The Maverick 88 line is Mossberg's budget brand and seeks to deliver the basic function and reliability of the Model 500 at a reduced retail price. Maverick 88 security guns are only offered in 12 gauge and have a capacity of either six or eight shots. The Maverick 88 cuts down on costs by using a simplified one-piece fore-end, which does not allow it to be changed out with an aftermarket one unless you purchase a model 500 slide tube assembly also.

The Maverick 88's receiver is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount and the finish tends to look slightly purple depending on the lighting. The polymer trigger group includes a push-button safety and is not ambidextrous like the tang-mounted safety Mossberg is known for. Older Maverick 88's may also only have a single action bar rather than the two on 500 and 590 models, but function should still be fine."

Hope that helps.

Last Edited:
I've got one of the older single action bar models that I bought new probably over 30 years ago. It's the shotgun I used to train my wife, daughter, and all the extended family that were interested on the basics of the pump action shotgun. It's had tens of thousands of rounds through it, everything from 2 3/4" target loads to heavy 3" slugs. I've never had a single problem with it. People (usually elitists who only bestow favor on the most expensive or well known firearms) crack on them because they're inexpensive, but for me, it's been an exceptionally good investment that has served it's intended purpose exceedingly well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top