JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new Mossberg 500. I want to remove the magazine tube. I hear that Mossberg uses red locktite on these? I've tried heating it up. No go. I'm trying CA glue debonder now.

Anyone remove one of these buggers? Or is there a local gunsmith willing to help me out?

Thanks,

-Matthew

Yes, I have removed the mag-tubes on my Mossy's, and Weatherby SA-08.

As stated, a small flame torch (not heat gun) evenly applied around the base until you see a bit of "smoke" and perhaps a bit of the thread locker bubbling up from the threads, do NOT heat up until it turns red!

My Weatherby SA-08 required a rubber strap-wrench to break the torque, don't use a pipe wrench or channel-locks unless you don't care about the ensuing tool marks that WILL occur.

I just tried a pencil torch. The handheld kind that uses lighter fluid. Got it stupid hot, and still nothing. 5+ min. Can't break it free.

Are you guys using a propane torch? Do I need to go big?

I use a heat gun and do it until it smokes. Grab the nut on the end of the tube where it is crimped in. I wrap duct tape or something else around it.. grab the nut in a smooth jaw vice (or padded) and tighten it down. Use two hands on the receiver and unscrew. Allot of times they have locktite on them and they are bottomed out.. so it's tight!

I used a propane/map gas torch that screws into those 16-24oz jobbies you can buy at Lowe but I use them professionally and know how to regulate the intensity of the heat.

One of the factors of using a torch is getting enough VOLUME of heat rather than the INTENSITY of heat for the job.

All the flames (for a given fuel) will burn at the same temperature regardless of their size, but the flame has to be large enough (volume) to overcome the heat conductance of the material being heated to raise and maintain a higher temperature.

I finally got it off!!

They used way too much red locktite. I had a low temp heat gun. 400 deg range. It did not burn up the locktite, but more softened it? Not much white power, mostly red goo. So I did not quite reach temp. 450+ deg

They also torqued it down way more than they needed. The end of the tube was just slightly crushed / curled over and imbedded into the aluminum receiver.

Hand tight folks. It would have taken Captain America to remove it, even without the locktite!

Not recommended for the weekend warrior. Plz take yours to a gun smith.
I probably came within an inch of cracking my receiver. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads