JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am always the last to know about these things. I was perusing Mossberg and under "Other Weapons", the "JIC" (Just In Case) caught my eye. Hmmm. A new shotgun in a sealed, water resistant tube with a survival kit in a can. "JIC" sounds a lot like SHTF to me.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.57.12 PM.png

If I were to get one, I'd go full on marinecote version in the orange canister:
H4128-L133455711.jpg

They also made a shockwave version:

wm_12854738.jpg

Cool packages, but still holding out for a 590a1 marinecote version (non-JIC). I was looking for a deal pre-pandemic and then they went crazy. I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks! I didn't check all of their options, but it looks like they have pretty much all bases covered. We talked about doing this back in the 70s, when things "looked really bad" for gun owners. Little did we know. Buried deep enough vertically, muzzle down would make it somewhat more difficult to metal detect.

A Shockwave is shorter, but otherwise very similar.

Also, a SW is not legal in some states, and there is nothing on the SW that says it is a SW, so an ignorant LEO might think it is a SBS.
The point is that these are reserved for a condition of little or no law - like that we are approaching. As well, they are intended to be secreted for extreme defense purposes. The buttstock matters little under a condition of societal collapse.

Not if you're a lefty.
Well, I am left-handed. But shoot right handed. Anyway, if shooting is getting serious, the off-hand can disengage the tang safety when danger threatens. It would be stored normally with an empty cvhamber, therefore no need for the safety. If shooting casually, there is time to familiarize oneself with either safety, no? Regarding the .5-1.0 second it takes to react to perceived danger, the quickest "safety-off drill" on earth still puts one in second place. In defensive encounters, action beats reaction each and every time. Our task is to be alert and forewarned.

The point of the weapon package, I believe, is in the principle, the ultimate purpose of the gun, rather than perfection of function. I think that, when things go sideways, it would be a tremendous relief to locate the sealed tube and find its contents. City, desert or forest. If you train with it, you will instinctively find the safety.

Just to add a data point: I bought 2 of those tubular Mossberg cartons (just the empty tube) just to store a shotgun. Unfortunately, the pistol grip I have is a tad too large to fit into the tube, so if you are considering it, check it closely. Part# 17978 JIC case is 6"DIA. X 32" OD (ORANGE SHIPPING CONTAINER), Price back when they first came out was $ 40.00 with shipping and handling at $ 8.95. The OD green part number is 17970. Same price, but I checked they they are $65 plus shipping now.

Last Edited:
Just to add a data point: I bought 2 of those tubular Mossberg cartons just to store a shotgun. Unfortunately, the pistol grip I have is a tad too large to fit into the tube, so if you are considering it, check it closely. Part# 17978 JIC case is 6"DIA. X 32" OD (ORANGE SHIPPING CONTAINER), Price back when they first came out was $ 40.00 with shipping and handling at $ 8.95. The OD green part number is 17970.

ID or OD?

Comes with the shotgun, the necessary fish hooks, the catchy stenciled letters on the tube that appeals to floperators. When SHTF and you finally crack open that container, the only thing missing will be the ammo

Not sure what you are getting at here?

Matters little with regards to law or function?

Having two Shockwaves myself, one with a brace and one without, I can say from experience that the brace makes a significant functional difference.
I was addressing what I thought was a question of the legality of one grip versus the other. My bad there. The magic number 26" OAL and that stuff. I probably missed the point being made. Legally speaking, there may be no law when such a tool is both needed and unearthed, so to speak.

Functionality and aesthetics are a different issue. One could probably get a tube to fit their Franchi SPAS-12, a Street Sweeper or you name it. What I found appealing, and why I posted is because someone - even a gun manucfacturer - is offering a turn key survival package.

Some other gun company may have done this before, but it escapes my memory if so.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top