JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater preowned. Come to find out it has a canted/ off center front sight. Now, It didn't bother me horribly when shooting bird shot but when it came to slugs, it threw me for a loop. I couldn't hit $h!t with it. On my 590A1, I can hit a man sized target at 100yds fairly consistently so I know its not the ammo or the shooter.
When I got back from the range, I contacted Mossberg's Customer Service. They told me that since I wasn't the original purchaser, my 930 was not covered under the warranty. When I asked about a repair, they said that I would be better off buying a new barrel from them since the repair would likely cost as much or more. I'm not about to spend $200+ on a barrel when I have one and they should own up to their manufacturing mistakes. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with their product.
Does anybody here have a recommendation or know a contact at Mossberg that might be able to better help me? Or should I sell my 930 and 590A1 and go out and buy a couple Remingtons?

20170816_125444_resized.jpg

Wow.. I'm definitely following this thread. I've been keen on buying that same shotgun and was hoping to find one used. Now I'm rethinking that strategy. Customer service means everything. It seems that manufacturers nowadays are on one extreme or another. One extreme being "go ahead and trash it and we'll ship you a new part for free" and the other extreme being "wait, who are you and what did you want again?"

I've noticed this on one I handled at Sportsmans Warehouse.

That's why once I finally broke down and buy a 930 it's going to be the plain Jane bead sighted version.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for repair, see if the original owner would be cool with helping out.

That or have your wife call and say she is. How the hell would they know anyways.

Damn, I fell for it again! I seriously need to pay more attention to thread dates.

Thread resurrection!

Yes, it is an old post. To answer some of the questions...
F2CMadMaxx: Im not sure of the year since I purchased it used
Reno911: Knowing how the owner was selling it, I can guarantee he would not want to help me out with getting a warranty repair.
No_Regrets: I did call Mossberg and they were no help. Didn't even offer me a discount on a new barrel. Also, it is assembled properly. This is a known defect that they will not fix.

I have found that I typically only use this gun for shooting clays or buck shot so I just need to find a way to change it over to a bead sight. Maybe even a mid-grade micro red dot.

It snapped on the barrel tight, no glue or bead needed.

I might put some high temp epoxy on it though for permenance sake.

I guess that is fine. My Maverick has a bead sight which it you look at the Truglo sight it has a opening for a bead sight. But as long as it is straight. I have not fired my 88 for a few years not since I like the 590A1 better but then I got an SLP which my go to shotgun now. But I still take my 590A1 to the range sometimes.

But it needs a bead sight to hold it straight . I have one on my first shotgun which was a 5 shot Maverick 88.

I put one of those on my very old Win 1300 years ago. I was quite shocked at just how well it worked. As for needing a bead to hold it mine like Joe's fit so tight it never seemed to move. If the OP wants a bead that would be dead simple to add to his barrel. As for Mossberg I guess I can kind of see it. They do not want used guns coming back when they have no way to know how many people have had it and what they may have done. If they do not set a blanket "If you are not the buyer we can't help" they would be in a bad spot. They would have to tell people "ok send the gun and we will decide if it was factory defect or someone else did something. That would put them in the position of paying people to make those kind of judgments over and over and most who were told no would of course be mad. Lesson to take from it? When you buy a used gun take a good look at it first.