Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mossberg 590A1 or what?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mpperales, Dec 24, 2012.

1. mpperales

mpperales Happy Valley, Oregon Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying Mossberg 590A1 this weekend.....was wondering on your thoughts of paying $500+ for this...or picking up a Maverick 88, Savage Arms, or Pardner and just adding what I wanted....probably cheaper this route too...

Your input? Let me know...

That 590A1 sure is purty!

2. Glock Jock

Glock Jock Wilsonville , OR Well-Known Member

I believe you are talking about the Mossberg 590A1, and yes that would be my choice for the money. I owned the SPX version of the this gun and really liked it.

3. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Mossberg makes the 590A1... Remingtons pump is the 870

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have both the Mossy and the Rem. I prefer the Win 1300 (I have three) although it's not made anymore!

5. JimmyD

JimmyD Salem,Or Member

I had a 590A1 but went up into a rem 1100. 590A1 shot real nice tho, just had to keep him clean..

6. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

Another +1 for the win 1300. If you can find the defender model, It holds 8 + 1 up to 3" shells with a 20" barrel. great finish, no rattle in the handguard like a lot of mossy's I've had.

7. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Mossberg has a new version of the 500/590 coming out called the flex, it makes it easy to interchange stocks, fore-ends and other parts, might want to check it out.

8. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I like the looks of the 590, but I seem to like steel receivers. My preference is for older wingmasters or any era police magnum models. My current shotgun is a Vang Comp 870 Police Magnum. It has (as one would expect of any quality shotgun) worked flawlessly.

9. mpperales

mpperales Happy Valley, Oregon Well-Known Member

I know it's a Mossberg....lost my train of thought when typing...:)

10. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

... 930SPX if you want to be lazy;

+1 Win 1300.

11. blackgunsdan

blackgunsdan Clackamas, OR Active Member

Gunbroker in Clackamas sells a pump shotgun called a Tri Star Cobra; it has a spring loaded pump return spring that will jack a shell into the chamber if you let go of the slide if it's in the rear position, pistol grip stock, eight round tube mag, IPA fiber optic sights with a rail to mount a red dot for 329.00. There is a big write up in one of the Tactical Rags this month, worth reading.

12. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the 590A1 but I will tell you this, I have owned and used many mossbergs and they are excellent shotguns, for years the military and many police departments used the 500. Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of these guy use abuse these things and still work fine with mud, crud, dirt, sand and all gumbed up.

I have limited experience with other brands so I stick with what I know I would no problem what so ever trusting a mossberg shotgun to work for me when a jam.

You check out bud online for pricing, they ship to an ffl dealer near of your choice, who usually charge $15.00 to $30.00 to do the ffl checks

13. deen_ad

One of mine is the Coastal Marine, stainless steel and plated too, not quite as smooth as my other 1300's though.

I've thought about sending the barrel to Vang Comp and having the barrel backbored for accuracy but since I never plan on shooting 100 yards with slugs it'd be wasted money.

14. deen_ad

In case the OP doesn't know, the Win 1300 is a pump shotgun. It, along with the KelTec shotgun, are the only pump shotguns the will allow the use of the ½ size Aguila shotshells/slugs.