JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired a <broken link removed> with the ghost ring sight system by XS (XS Sight Systems - Sights)

Anyway, upon taking it out to the range to shoot some slugs I found myself having to raise my rear aperture to it's near maximum height on the post.

Front sight is a .380" from top of sight to bottom of dovetail.

I've looked and I can't locate any 3/8" sights that are lower.

it appears very odd that the sight would be so high.

Stats:
I was shooting at 50 yards. Top of front post was center of rear aperture. When I stretched it to 100 yards front post was at top of aperture which is normal. 1oz slugs 2-3/4".
8" pattern@50, 12" pattern@100

Shooting wasn't off, it just made me very nervous that the rear was so darn high to bring the shotgun to a zero at 50 yards. Like being held by the set screws by maybe 3-4 threads.

These do not come with protector wings like most rear posts... another thing that has me curious.
IMAGE_49.jpg

Edit:
Because I NEVER give up.
I have been searching and I came up with this product:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...ght-340-width-steel-blue-3-32-fiber-optic-red

My current base is .340" wide. and overall height is the .380"
So by logic I could pick up this one thats .250" tall, shaving a LOT of height off the rear aperture.

I'm still searching, so any input would be great. I don't think it's "Human error" right now.

The person I got it from could have swapped stuff around not knowing, as the shotgun was new in box when I got it.

Sweet gun. Just put a red dot on it and you won't have to worry about the ghost rings. :) I really can't help with your problem, I just felt like spewing ignorant nonsense.

I like nonsense when the speakers of nonsense know that they are talking it.

Yes that's a no brainer as pointed out above in post #1.

problem is "finding" a site post that's low enough. .240 isn't low enough.

Im ordering a blank and a fiber optic post so I can make my own .100" height. I will post photo when done.

Update:

The sight I had (according to XS and a conversation with them) is the .400" height. Why it's causing the rear to be so tall? He had NO CLUE! Imagine that. Guess that's on Mossberg...

I could though order heights in the order of: .400", .350", .300" and .250" Each adjustment would be 3 revolutions of the rear ring down.

They can be ordered for $30 each + Shipping & handling. Hmmmm.... No thanks.

I ended up making two sights for the front of the shotgun. I made a fiber sight using a post that I picked up from Midway.com, and a blank dovetail piece. I spent $6.50 for the drill bit and tap from a local industrial supply (talk about odd threads and drillbit sizes). I found that to be .330" overall height, and .300 at the center of the fiber. Still not low enough compared to the overall .400" that I had. I was getting there though.

Went to Home Depot, picked up a $10 set of files, patience, flat surfaces and the result:
IMAGE_1.jpg

a little touch up with a bluepen and it's done. The modified original sight is .250 tall in the front (.250 is from bottom of dovetail, which is where all the measurements are from), allowed me to lower the ghost ring in the rear to a height that I'm comfortable with that is solid and secure.

I now have two front sight posts, easy to interchange and I can easily adjust on the ghost ring for which one I choose to use.

Current rear sight:
sPSIStQRuUszgZaVOZxxvpM482heoglGlrfQS70LGBs=w884-h663-no.jpg

Total spent: $28
(could I have ordered for near that cost? Yes, quite so. Would I have had something to do though? Nope.)

Quite possibly, but when you shoot slugs out of a cylinder bore shotgun those bead sights do no justice when compared to rifle sights or GrS

I found similar results on my Blackwater and wondered to what logic such a sight combination would be assigned to this model.
I have a 3/8" sight blank on order along with a tritium low profile bead sight from Brownell's. I will post results and invite anyone else to share their success with resolving this issue. Thanks for prior posts. I wish I had found them earlier.

I just lost my front sight and will need to order a new one. But to answer the original question, I think that Mossy shipped the gun with a high sight so that it would work with a red dot.

Everything is higher up to match up with a red dot without having to adjust the ghost ring. What do you guys think?

I just lost my front sight and will need to order a new one. But to answer the original question, I think that Mossy shipped the gun with a high sight so that it would work with a red dot.

Everything is higher up to match up with a red dot without having to adjust the ghost ring. What do you guys think?

Doubtful. Considering the difference is not enough to be co-witnessed in even the lowest of red dots such as a Burris Fastfire series.

.125" = 1/8"
Not significant enough.

Good theory though. An AR's rear back up sight is the right height from the top of the rail.

Doubtful. Considering the difference is not enough to be co-witnessed in even the lowest of red dots such as a Burris Fastfire series.

.125" = 1/8"
Not significant enough.

Good theory though. An AR's rear back up sight is the right height from the top of the rail.

So you're happy with a .250 sight? Zero for slugs at 100 yards? I'm looking at a fiber optic for mine.

So you're happy with a .250 sight? Zero for slugs at 100 yards? I'm looking at a fiber optic for mine.
I no longer have the shotgun.

I can say that the .250" sight was perfect. Even if Mossberg wouldn't admit their error with shipping with a sight that's too tall.

I can't recall my pattern anymore at 100.... Though what worked on this shotgun doesn't mean it will work for yours.

The purpose of lowering the front was to lower the rear and not make it stick out like a sore thumb.

So even if you have a .250" front sight, you could always adjust the rear to pattern higher or lower since the rear is not fixed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top