JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My understanding is that most parts are. Barrels are not. The 590 has metal trigger components and safety, where the 500 uses plastic. But as @Stomper noted, you can swap those out on a 500 with the metal components if you want.

I bought the metal trigger packs off Brownell's, years ago. After YEARS AND YEARS, I actually managed to beak the plastic trigger guard on my first M500, so I make it a priority to upgrade that part ASAP... although I have enough and won't be buying anymore M500's... LOL

FYI- The M930 series (at least my two specimens do) already has a metal trigger group (I wonder if they'll cheap out and go plastic some day)

Barrels and mag-tubes are the only incompatible difference between the M500 & 590 series, but the receivers will take either/or.

Last Edited:
I've got a few available optics to throw up there. Don't really need them in the house though, no real long shots anywhere and the rail lines up well with the front site. Bigger priority is to get another light on it, the last one died on me (not an expensive model), then I'll worry a bit more about an optic.
I put a XS Sights Big Dot Tritium on my 500A1, along with a S&W 500 lumen light. No rear sight, just line up along the grooves. The Tritium sight is bright at night, and the light is bright enough to light up the length of my house inside and the yard outside.
My understanding is that most parts are. Barrels are not. The 590 has metal trigger components and safety, where the 500 uses plastic. But as @Stomper noted, you can swap those out on a 500 with the metal components if you want.
My 500A1 is all metal with a heavy barrel. I am not sure when it was manufactured, but maybe they have changed on the newer ones. It may be that the plain 500's use less expensive parts including barrels and triggers and guards.

I picked up a590 back in 2011 when outdoorstrader was still around, it was listed for $420 unfired and came with a sling, 100 rnds of 00 buck, Sig micro red dot, ghost ring rear sight and tritium front and a 4 position Knoxx spec ops stock!
One of the best deals I have ever come across on a firearm!

I relied on a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose for years but I added a 930 Thunder Ranch with a two round extension this year. I'm happy, I've been wanting a 930 for a long time. :cool:

My 18.5" 590A1:

763F9E97-E81B-4600-908C-8FFA4A61187C.jpeg

Added 2 round extension from here:

Mossberg 590 A1 +2 Mag Extension - S&J Hardware USA

Added a light mount sling attachment:

CDM gear for other shotguns

Added a 6 round buttstock side saddle:

Specter Gear Mossberg 500 / 590 / Maverick 88 Buttstock Shell Holder

Unpadded sliing from Blue Force Gear:

Vickers ONE Sling

Heavy Duty Side Release Swivel for buttstock lug:

Heavy Duty Side Release Swivel - Fits Most Rifle / Shotgun Studs

Had a 590A1 with ghost ring once, sold to a member. I liked it way better than 870 express. Now 930 SPX 9+1 is on watch.

darn it! when did that happen? I've been waiting for it to be back in stock for like, FOREVER! i ended up with a Stoeger M300 28" barrel. i specifically picked one that's very different from the 590A1. but man, every time I take my Stoeger out, I want to compare to the 590A1! That and the Panzer Arms AR12. I really want to "feel" how the 590A1 shoots compare to the Stoeger as it's too much for the wife. To the point we are considering a 20g just for her (maybe an 870 Express Tac?)

I used part of my 'stimulus' check to purchase a 590 Tactical from Northwest Armory on April 15th. I wanted a 590A1, but simply couldn't find one. I do feel I lucked out all the same since the 9-round 590 I was able to find is a 'new for 2020' model and the only 590 currently offered with a 'Accu-Choke' equipped barrel. I call it 'The Beast' :)

View attachment 709222

What is that foregrip?

I used part of my 'stimulus' check to purchase a 590 Tactical from Northwest Armory on April 15th. I wanted a 590A1, but simply couldn't find one. I do feel I lucked out all the same since the 9-round 590 I was able to find is a 'new for 2020' model and the only 590 currently offered with a 'Accu-Choke' equipped barrel. I call it 'The Beast' :)

View attachment 709222

i was so temped when i saw you posted this initially as they still had some at that time! i hope 590a1 is worth the wait (still waiting)...

That's is the other thing that's unique about this new model, Mossberg has designed their own M-Lok foregrip. It provides good traction as is, but I went and added some Magpul M-Lok covers, hand stop, and 1913 rail section for an InForce :)WMLx. Works awesome.

View attachment 714150

Does Mossberg sell the new foregrip for the 590A1? It looks pretty nice. :)

Spent YEARS running tactical shotguns, and found both Mossy and Remmy to be bomb proof, to the point I would have no issues running ether! Benelli not so much, had a few fail, one detonated, and one burst a barrel, so, NOPE, never again! Wish Winchester would do the SX series up with the goodies needed as a H.D. Shotgun, that's the only other one I would ever consider, and would make a fitting tribute to the grand daddy of all fightin shotguns, the 1897!

Edit: Looks like Winchester heard me! :D

Spent YEARS running tactical shotguns, and found both Mossy and Remmy to be bomb proof, to the point I would have no issues running ether! Benelli not so much, had a few fail, one detonated, and one burst a barrel, so, NOPE, never again! Wish Winchester would do the SX series up with the goodies needed as a H.D. Shotgun, that's the only other one I would ever consider, and would make a fitting tribute to the grand daddy of all fightin shotguns, the 1897!

Edit: Looks like Winchester heard me! :D
Don't bother with the new winnie sxp , ran one brand new out the box and it wouldn't throw empties clear. The ejection port seems tighter than it should be for 3" hulls. My .02

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top