JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a second hand Mossberg 12 ga. at a very reasonable price. Gun is beautiful, in fact as far as anyone can tell it's never been fired. Took it out last weekend and it won't eject shells. A couple of internet searches and what I come up with is (a) tearing apart to examine for cracked ejector or (b) first just trying a different brand of shell, as the gun just may need some "breaking in". Anyone run into this with the Mossbergs? My experience has always been one of great reliability. Thanks for any help.

the only thing i can come up with unless its a mechanical defect/breakage is that it might have to do with the size/style of the shell your using (i.e. 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 shells as well as whether or not they are low or high base)

i had a semi auto that wouldnt eject 2 3/4 until i bought a new barrel for it, even though it was supposed to

o yea, you could always break it down and make sure that the gas seals/rings are in proper working order and that the gas holes in the barrel are clear of gunk.... if im not mistaken pumps still use a bit of gas to aid in ejection much like a semi (sorry most of my experience is with semis)

I had one, that had a broken ejector, after less than 100rds. Bought a new one from Numrich. Easy fix, open up action, look inside, take out 1 screw, replace with new ejector. Away you go! No need to tear it down. Evidently they are made to easily replace this part.

Bend the ejector slightly, i mean real lightly. I had that problem on my westernfield which is the exact model as the mossberg, i took out the ejector and bent it with a c-clamp and vice grips, never had a problem since.

Hello BigHerm!

So by your post title I am going to assume that you have a Mossberg 500 Pump and NOT a Semi-Auto loading SG. If that is the case then...

I am a certified Mossberg 500/590 Armorer and the Armorer's Manual says that if the Malfunction is a Failure to Eject; check the following:

Loose ejector screw.

Broken ejector.

Damaged extractors, extractor springs or pins.

Right and left extractors are reversed.

To check these, the gun will have to be disassbled with the exception of the Ejector Screw. You can see it through the ejection port. IF the ejector screw is indeed loose, then it needs to be removed, cleaned and a very tiny bit of blue loctite applied and tightened.

PLEASE DO NOT BEND anything! This is bad advice!

Call Mossberg and they will probably have you send it into their service dept. It will then receive a full inspection, function check and be brought back into spec.

Hope this helps. -Zippo Joe

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads