JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this an old topic and it's kind of like Ford vs Chevy.

I'd like to get the input of folks here in the northwest where the weather is varied on which you prefer and why.

Thanks
OR

I've had both, and both worked great. The 870 has more aftermarket accessories than the 500, notable you can add a magazine extension to it, where the 500 has a fixed magazine tube. If you are a lefty the 500's safety is on top so it can be used by either thumb.

I like the way the barrel is mounted on the 500 over the 870 with it's ball detent fixed barrel screw. It seems there are more 500s out there and you can find Plain Jane versions (such as the old Western Auto 'Revelation' branded ones) pretty cheaply. A far as the mag tube they are removable on the two I own but I do not know about the availability of an extended one. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all the 500s are alloy receivers where the 870s are steel which is the only drawback over the 870.

Yes the 500 is aluminum and the 870 is steel. If figured this out when I dropped my 500 and it scratched. Also my buddy has a 870 and both with 28" barrels, there is a noticeable weight increase with the Remi. I like both the 500 and 870 about the same.

I guess my question was more pointed toward folks that use them in "bad" conditions i.e. mud, rain and dirt.

Which one do you think is more reliable?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I decided to take my 500 Mariner to Kodiak Alaska with me. It survived being coated in rain, frozen at 32 degrees, covered in blood (not mine), and filled with snow. I had to use it as a balance beam crossing rivers on logs and as a walking stick in waist-deep snow. Never a hiccup. That said, my 870 would have performed the same, I'm sure, but it was easier "abusing" my 500. Hope that helps.

-B

The 870 has more of a following, but the Mossberg is a better shotgun, especially for operating with gloves on.

The tang safety is easier to operate than the crossbolt.

The action release is in a better spot on the Mossberg.

The shell lifter is not in your way on a Mossberg.

The Mossberg has two extractors.

The 870 is a classic design—and it shows.

It's easy when you think about it with logic in mind. I've owned several if not many variations of both.

The shell lifter/loading gate. The M500 lifts up and away allowing you to effortlessly shove shells into the magazine. The 870 has a clumsy one that goes down and stays down, in a seconds-matter scenario I want to be damn sure my rounds are going into the gun not fumbling around and pinching up.

That to me is the make or break behind the choice.

Why, if I may ask to both of you. Not picking a fight just trying to learn. Thanks.
I've hunted with a lot of shotguns and shot a lot more I've had mossbergs and remingtons parts fail among others I have yet to have any winchester parts break and they seem like a more solid quality built gun but then again that's just my experience and my :s0159:

The 870 has more of a following, but the Mossberg is a better shotgun, especially for operating with gloves on.

The tang safety is easier to operate than the crossbolt.

The action release is in a better spot on the Mossberg.

The shell lifter is not in your way on a Mossberg.

The Mossberg has two extractors.

The 870 is a classic design—and it shows.

Ford vs. Dodge. Personal preference. I carried an 870 in a patrol car for many, many years, and qualified with it annually. I own a Mossberg 500 though, and once you make the transition to safety type, I don't see a whole lot of difference either way. Both are rugged, reliable and Made in the USA.

anything mechanical will break sooner or later no matter who makes it just find the best you can afford with easy replacement parts. that you can change yourself you can learn a lot on you tube on changing parts. ive had all three guns mentioned not the mariner. .and ive been happy with them all i have a 8 shot 20 in Moss berg 500 right now.thats because i picked it up for 200.00 put a sidesaddle on it it runs fine i dont think you will go wrong with any of these there all very well made pump guns just my two cents worth

Ford vs. Dodge. Personal preference. I carried an 870 in a patrol car for many, many years, and qualified with it annually. I own a Mossberg 500 though, and once you make the transition to safety type, I don't see a whole lot of difference either way. Both are rugged, reliable and Made in the USA.

Remington's shell lifter gate design is a deal breaker for me. It makes training to run the shotgun hard more difficult than it needs to be.

I don't get how the 870 safety is a disadvantage. I personally I like that safety type for shotguns because I can feel if it's on the right or left side, and know what firing condition it sits in without taking my eyes off what I'm looking at. The 870 is made of steel. I have a old 60's wingmaster that has survived many rounds in the pouring rain and muddy conditions.

I don't have too much experience with a mossburg other than putting 25 rounds down range on some Clays but it shot well. It fired all rounds with no hickups all day. Seemed like a good shotgun of it fits you. For me I'm just use to the 870 configuration.

So it really is a preference. Chevy vs ford ect. As for me, I'll go 870 and Chevy and it works for me. The other guys might like he opposite. The guy who chooses the mossy And ford though will have a problem. His gun might shoot but his truck won't lol jp.