Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mossberg 500 Persuader safety parts

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by GuyBMeredith, Dec 23, 2014.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

I'm going to hit a couple of forums with this question, but hoping there is a local solution from my local (Salem) forum.

I discovered that I've lost the "safety click ball" (safety detent ball), probably when I replaced the original with a metal slide. Or maybe later from lack of lube or free movement. I never use the safety so don't know when it went missing.

Anyway, I'm looking for information on the size of the ball bearing used and whether there are local handy sources for a replacement.

2. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

3. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  5. GuyBMeredith

I tried a 3/32 ball bearing today. It was too large. Too bad, 37 cent is way better than nearly $4 plus shipping from the other vendors. I'll check with Mossberg.

6. GuyBMeredith

Well, the commercial sites want $3.99 plus shipping. Mossberg wants me to send the 500 in to have the safety detente ball replaced. I don't care for the idea of paying shipping for the 500 for a 5 cent ball so I decided to look around.

I purchased a package of 100 chrome steel .125" bearing balls from VBX in Anaheim, California for $4.95 and shipping of $5.38, total $10.33.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8589?

So far so good. Hope they are the correct replacement. Actually, I am not particularly worried as I never use the safety and need it to remain firmly OFF. It had been loose and causing mysterious glitches in the shotgun function.

Now, what to do with the other 99?

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I understand never using the safety, but altering it so that it doesn't function as intended just seems like a bad idea. Your gun, your choice, but from the perspective of a gunsmith and gun dealer, I would replace it with a $4.00 proper part and just continue to not use it if that's your choice. That doesn't seem like a very hefty price to pay for a part. Good luck either way.

8. GuyBMeredith

The intent is that the safety functions correctly as I do not like Bubba fixes. If bargain basement doesn't work I'll get the real thing before letting go of it.