JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately I've been having an excessive and disheartening amount of failure to primes from my mossberg 500. I take fairly good care of my guns, does anyone know a remedy ? I'm prepared to buy a new bolt assembly if that's what I need to do but
I would rather fix it.

I don't have any pictures, but basically Witt multiple different types of ammo used I was getting light primer strikes. Sorry maybe that's the more appropriate term haha

Light primer strikes in a Mossberg typically are either a firing pin or firing pin spring issue. They changed the design of the firing pin at some point in time. Old design had issues?

Did you clean the bolt really well? Did you over lube Or use Froglube on the bolt? Was / is it rusty? ...

Clean that bolt really well. Use carb / break cleaner. Don't oil it down or grease the thing. A tiny amount of oil on a rag can be used to prevent surface rust.

But, if there is so much oil or grease on it, that you would NOT lick the silly thing, then you used too much! :D

If you still have light primer strikes, send it in to Mossberg to be fixed. They should fix it for free. Replacement bolts are also stupid cheap, if you know where to get them.

Last Edited:
maybe the firing pin is gunked up in the bolt?

its rare but ive seen broken firing pins and weak springs in other shotguns.

ive never had a malfunction in any of my 500 variants and one has 25k rounds thru it.

When you dry fire it does it make a hollow thunk noise or does it click like it should go bang if it had a shell chambered?

Id say a hollow thunk. I think years of over frog lubing did this. I think the firing pin is all gunked up. I can't even take down the bolt the pins in the bolt are cemented in place I have learned my lesson... I may need a new bolt

Id say a hollow thunk. I think years of over frog lubing did this. I think the firing pin is all gunked up. I can't even take down the bolt the pins in the bolt are cemented in place I have learned my lesson... I may need a new bolt

I'd try heating the bolt up to soften up any built up lube/gunk and then try disassembly before going to the expense of purchasing a new bolt assembly.

Just an old guys .02

FYI: An old crockpot from Goodwill, filled with antifreeze, will remove fossilized dinosaur snot! Just keep it from boiling! And don't ever use that crockpot for food ever again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top