JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does the Mossberg 500 have an inertial safety?

Specifically if dropped on the muzzle with a chambered round and the safety engaged is it designed to not go boom?

I'd like to have the extra round, faster into action and not have to risk giving away my position by racking the slide.

None of those advantages are worth even the slimmest possibility of an AD/ND especially as I share housing and live in Portland where an AD/ND could/would be interpreted as illegal discharge of a firearm.

I shall now sit back and allow your wisdom to wash over me like the tide.

Ready...GO!

None of the Mossberg Shotguns or Remington's, for that matter, are Drop Safe! The safety does not block the firing pin. You will find LEO's do not have a shell in the chamber until they actually deploy the shotgun to deal with a percieved or actual threat. Once the situation is over they're trained to down grade the Shotgun from Action Mode to Transport Mode (no shell in the chamber). The reason why is for safety.

In fact I inherited a Remington Shotgun from my grandfather who bought it years ago at a Farm Liquidation Auction. The owner, the farmer, was hunting with it when he leaned it up against the fence with a shell in the chamber. When he crawled under the fence to get to the other side of the field the shotgun fell over hitting the ground, discharging and striking the owner. He was mortally wounded. He tried to crawl back to the farmhouse but bleed to death before reaching help. The family had no life insurance and had to liquidate most of their assets including this shotgun.

Thanks Dan your expertise is much appreciated.
Can't wait to get some $ together to get some real training at OFA.

Does this change anyone's opinions on the state of their HD shotgun or are you all using something other than Rem's and Mossy's?

Seems to me most on the thread about HD weapon chambered or not either stated that they always keep it chambered or if not they do so only in hopes to scare off the intruder by racking the gun.