JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you ever noticed that the area below galvanized vents are clear of moss?
I haven't tried it yet but you can buy rolls of zinc sheet metal - just mount a strip just under the ridge cap or top course of shingles and the water running off of it will keep the area below free of moss and algae.

Here is one source that popped up on a search: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/zincarmor3.htm?gclid=CMPh7tD7_70CFUiFfgodNBsArQ

Just toss some of that zinc powder/pellets up there during ideal conditions and you're good to go. I had some moss issues a couple years ago on my roof. Me not being a scrawny twink like most NWFA males I just tossed the pellets up there by hand so I didn't have to go crawling around on the roof.

By far the best product is Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate in the powder form "field grade".
It's an animal feed supplement that I buy in a 55 lb bag at a local feed store that specializes in organic supplements. $50.00
The feed store is called Concentrates Inc, near Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukie, OR.
All it takes is a little bit sprinkled along the top of the roof ridges.
After a little moisture (best if applied before a light rain) every speck of moss will turn black and dry up.
I have a couple of elderly neighbors who pay me to treat their roofs every other year and one bag will more then pay for itself 20 times over.
If you price what Home Depot charges for Moss -B-Ware in the little 1 lb can ($12.99) for the same product,
you can see the savings.
One thing to consider about using laundry soap, is that it might kill the moss, but it will degrade the petroleum products in asphalt shingles.
I also mix this with water and spray it on sidewalks with a 1 gallon hand sprayer with excellant results.

You need to physically remove the moss then apply preventative measures.

The old or "dead" moss may not grow but can still absorbe water and pop your shingles
(if talking about composite)

As another part of my business we also do moss removal.. Been around that stuff for a while so Ive tried many theories and many different removal and preventative applications.
Trial and error when we initially started. Lets just say
"pressure washers" are not the do-all tool many think they are.. Many companies miss quite a bit of moss when they wisp some water up there , toss a little bit of preventative chemical and then leave.

And @PuddleMonkey
I too am a very big individual..
I have no issues venturing up on roofs, in attics or crawlspaces. ;)
You'd be surprised what us big guys can do.

It always scares me when I see people with pressure washers on roofs, That can damage the shingles IMO. Go with the powder (NOT ON A WINDY DAY), it works over time to kill it. The bigger dead moss clumps won't disappear unless you remove them manually though.
I might install the zinc strips this year if I get around to it.

For grass lawns I use Moss Out. It comes in a 2 gallon jug and you fill up a hose end sprayer to a garden hose and blast away at the recommended flow rate.
The lawn moss will turn black overnight, if not sooner.
I go to a lot of estate sales and there is always stuff like Round Up, Moss Out, motor oil, WD40 and garden/lawn fertilizer for pennies on the dollar in the garages.

The best time to install Zinc Strips is when your re-roofing your house.
I install them under the ridge shingle with about 1/2 the width the strip exposed.
If you leave more then that, you should tack it down with some high quality clear silicon adhesive. Otherwise, the wind will just tear it off the roof. Then you will have to nail whats left down with rubber gasket roof nails and that looks like krap.

The old saying is true. "There are no U-Haul trailers hitched to a hearse."

Last Edited:
Zinc strips will only leach and kill moss for about the first two to three feet down the rake.
It's by no means an end all to moss control.
As noted, moss clumps should be removed manually to prevent further lifting of the shingle.
There's no magic bullet for this, except yearly or bi-yearly maintenance.
BTW: Try not to walk on an asphalt shingle in the hot sun.

moss-b-ware

sprinkle it on the highest points of your roof so when it rains, it will wash down over the rest of your roof. I've been using it each fall for years and no moss since 2002. Neighbors roofs all around me are toasted with moss as they do zero maintenance. Stuff works.

BTW, careful up on that roof.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads