JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most of us have heard about how the extreme cold during the battle of Stalingrad affected various pieces of equipment, specifically referring to the contention that the Mosins kept working and the Mausers didn't.
Some possibilities I see are:
It's not true. Either they were all rendered ineffective or less effective to more or less the same degree, or they all just kept on tickin' to more or less the same degree.
It is true and the reason is:
The M-N design was better suited to the conditions.
The Soviet troops knew how to deal with the cold better since they lived there, and thus could keep their rifles in operation.

Bonus question: Were any of the Axis troops armed with something other than the Mauser, and if so how did they fare?

I would love to hear what the informed commentariat of NWF has to say on this.

So one of my late fathers best friend was a Sgt in the German Army during WW2, he was on the eastern front for 2 years before being pretty badly wounded, after getting treated he was put into the battalion Armory as a small/large bore armorer. He said he was amazed at how well the Russians Mosins functioned despite being filthy and how badly he though the machining was on some of the parts. He said they would fire and fire well even in -0 Celsius temps. He said that the true failing was the poor quality of the Russian ammo.

Last Edited: