Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Chris76, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Chris76

Chris76 Northwest Member

Picked up a Mosin that is in a synthetic stock with modified bolt handle, scope mount and scope. Did some looking and its a 1892.

Looks like that may be the first year built? Wondered if it has any value before I hack the barrel.

Thanks,

Chris

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I would say it's worth about 100 bucks, that's all I'd be willing to pay for one and about the going price. It could be worth more to others, but finding that person may take forever and may not be worth it.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

It's already lost almost all of it's historic value. Please proceed with hacking the barrel if you wish to remove the rest.

Keith

4. Chris76

Chris76 Northwest Member

will do :)

5. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

i'd hack it. like said above, most any historic value is already lost... even then, it likely wouldn't be worth more than any other mosin sitting at any number of Big5.

the only ones i'd hesitate on cutting would be Finnish or some of the "rare" armory markings, or a genuine sniper rifle.... and then only if it was in original/good condition.

i've hunted with a heavily sporterized early 1900s mosin with a composite stock, shortened barrel, etc. i liked it quite a bit. i'd not hesitate hunting with one again.

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

What kind of scope mount? If it's a "no-gunsmith" type ( no drill and tap the receiver...) the gun might be worth trying to save...got pics?

7. Chris76

Chris76 Northwest Member

too late :)

8. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Should be transferable as a non-firearm due to the age. Think the cut-off is 1895. That's not a real gun anymore.