JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could someone who works on or uses the mosin rifle please explain the causes and cures for the Mosin sticky bolts? I have had this issue with two of mine requiring beating on the bolt-handle to open them up, and have heard that I'm not the only guy to have experienced this problem.. Thanks, Dun
Have you taken the bolt apart to clean out any cosmoline residue?

There was a reason they were selling for under $100 just a few years ago. Heck, I paid $89 for mine in 2017. If you disolved all the cosmo from the bolt assembly, chamber, and receiver, I would wonder if the bolt numbers match the receiver? Just my guess. Cosmoline gets very hard over time and might be gumming up the receiver ring or compacted on the face of the barrel.

Cosmoline in the chamber. Use a spray bottle from the dollar store to douse the chamber with mineral spirits. You can also use a 12 gauge bore brush attached to drill at very low RPM to scrub the chamber.

The new mfg. steel case ammo (Tula) has a coating that gets stuck in the chamber when the case expands. The most reliable and cost effective ammo is the surplus copper washed ammo. Unfortunately it is also corrosive. But as long as you clean your guns after shooting this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys... I had cleaned the bolts but not soaking them in anything... Thought that all the cosmo was removed. I will try this and give it another go. Compared to the Mausers the Mosins are second-string:p but I do like the "feel" of them and know they served well in many conflicts.... I like lugging and shooting mine and the bolt issues have been very frustrating!:eek: Thanks again, Dun

I have three M39's in the family. My oldest son's VKT had sticky bolt. Did most of the things in this video and it's much better. Some of them have already been mentioned.

There are many reasons....see the numerous YouTube videos.

You may just end up trying them all.

And, I didn't see it mentioned but.....also check the headspace. I once swapped bolt heads between a M91/30 rifle and an M44 carbine that I had. And well, it worked better after the swap. Of course, check the headspace to complete the "fix". Perhaps, it was the lugs? Whatever, bolt heads are made so that they can be easily changed.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Dude as a long time Mosin lover, i have rifles that were epic in how they worked and ones, well sigh were just junk..most of the comments are right, if you can strip your rifle all the way down give it a good 48 hour soak in whatever your best cleaner solvent it, a lot of guys like brake cleaner. Next get a 20 guage hone and gently hone the inside of the chamber also some fine dental pics to get at the hard to reach prehistoric cosmoline. Next polish your bolt a lot of them were well made in a hurry and have a bunch of burrs on them, and next by a set of USA made GO NO GO FIELD gauges. If all else fails, live with it, also i have found that the high quality ammo helps a lot, the stuff from tula is junk, in my mosin at least, it loves the S/B 154 grain..but that is JMHO...carry on comrade.

IMG_0664.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top