Mosin sticky bolt

Reactions
Could someone who works on or uses the mosin rifle please explain the causes and cures for the Mosin sticky bolts? I have had this issue with two of mine requiring beating on the bolt-handle to open them up, and have heard that I'm not the only guy to have experienced this problem.. Thanks, Dun
Have you taken the bolt apart to clean out any cosmoline residue?

Xaevian

Reactions
There was a reason they were selling for under $100 just a few years ago. Heck, I paid $89 for mine in 2017. If you disolved all the cosmo from the bolt assembly, chamber, and receiver, I would wonder if the bolt numbers match the receiver? Just my guess. Cosmoline gets very hard over time and might be gumming up the receiver ring or compacted on the face of the barrel.

Aero Denezol

Reactions
Cosmoline in the chamber. Use a spray bottle from the dollar store to douse the chamber with mineral spirits. You can also use a 12 gauge bore brush attached to drill at very low RPM to scrub the chamber.

The new mfg. steel case ammo (Tula) has a coating that gets stuck in the chamber when the case expands. The most reliable and cost effective ammo is the surplus copper washed ammo. Unfortunately it is also corrosive. But as long as you clean your guns after shooting this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys... I had cleaned the bolts but not soaking them in anything... Thought that all the cosmo was removed. I will try this and give it another go. Compared to the Mausers the Mosins are second-string:p but I do like the "feel" of them and know they served well in many conflicts.... I like lugging and shooting mine and the bolt issues have been very frustrating!:eek: Thanks again, Dun

ma96782

Reactions
There are many reasons....see the numerous YouTube videos.

You may just end up trying them all.

And, I didn't see it mentioned but.....also check the headspace. I once swapped bolt heads between a 91/30 rifle and an M44 that I had. And well, it worked better after the swap. Of course, check the headspace to complete the "fix". Perhaps it was the lugs? Whatever, they (bolt heads) are made so that they can be easily charged.

Aloha, Mark

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Have done several transfers through this shop. All were pleasant experiences. Folks were friendly and pleasant, prices were fair. I wouldn't...
  • Gorge Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Good little shop. Have transferred numerous pieces here and it's always been pain free. My only little gripe is limited hours (currently not...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place to pickup from sites like Davidson's. Low fees. Friendly folks.
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    This has been my go to for all transfers. Peter, the two Jasons and Joe have always been very professional and accommodating. The transfer...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent transfer and very helpful
    Was there yesterday and had my first private party transfer done. Went really smoothly and pj was very helpful. He was willing to make an...
Top Bottom