JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys I had a question. I noticed several split cases as I was cleaning up my brass and was wondering if it was the gun or the ammo. It was all the same case of surplus ammo from the 40's. I suppose I should take it to a smith and have it looked at? Who in the Corvallis area is good? If it is the gun what's the cost of fixing the head space or whatever the problem is?
Thanks,
Kevin

I had this happen to me as well, not sure you have the same issue but I did a very aggressive cleaning of the chamber AND bolt face then switched to another make of ammo. No longer have the problem. I would also see about a go/no go gauge evaluation.

Hey guys I had a question. I noticed several split cases as I was cleaning up my brass and was wondering if it was the gun or the ammo. It was all the same case of surplus ammo from the 40's. I suppose I should take it to a smith and have it looked at? Who in the Corvallis area is good? If it is the gun what's the cost of fixing the head space or whatever the problem is?
Thanks,
Kevin

I wouldn't worry too much on it. My m44 and m91/30 do the same with Bulgarian. Romanian. Russian. And Czech surplus. Some do and some dont. Mostle brittle casings as the Russians made these in a hurry (the ammo)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Where are the cases splitting? pictures would be good. If it's just the neck/shoulder area that is normal due to the age of the brass and hot military loads

Yeah they are splitting at the neck/shoulder. So it's not that big of a deal? I will just get some ammo that was made later, I hear the 1976 stuff is good. I just got the really old stuff for the clips.

I've got some 50's Bulgarian that routinely splits at the neck (and more rarely drops a primer out the back of the case during ejection) in just about every Mosin I use the stuff in. I get no split cases with most other type of ammunition I use in any of my rifles. If this is indeed your situation, I would try other surplus and commercial first to see if the cases continue to split before I spent any money having a smith look at a gun that might be perfectly fine.

Edit: I forgot to mention, brass-cased '86 Czech, packaged in the long, light blue boxes, is exceptional surplus to use. Unfortunately I haven't seen it for sale lately on the retail market, but you may get lucky and find some in a local pawn shop. Very good stuff. There is also a steel-cased version in darker bluish grey boxes (I think its also Czech, but this is going off of old memory) that is pretty good, but if I remember right its dirtier too. Still solid stuff to stock up on if you can find it.

Keith

Had some Albanian ammo and it had the same problem. Looked at some unfired cases and they were actually made with splits in them on some. Lots of flaws from the factory. I wouldn't worry about it, just try and find better ammo.