JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

Forgive me if this has been talked about before, I just tried to use the search for 35 mins without luck. If there is another thread on this please post me the link :)

Anyways like the title says I have a 1930 mosin. I don't really know anything about it just what I have been researching the last month. Picked it up from a gun show from a collector saying it was special. So far I don't see it.

I recently picked up a utg scope mount from amazon. Didn't want to drill into the gun so this seemed like a good option.

I want to be able to shoot paper at ~200 yards and the iron sights are a little difficult for that haha.

Now I am stuck on scopes. I have seen a few reviews on some called NG and leatherwood?
Any other input on scope would be awesome!

Thanks!

I have 2 Mosins. I've been looking at scoping one. The setup I'm looking at is from Brass Stacker. It's a see-through mount, so you keep your iron sights, and unlike some mounts, doesn't require drilling the receiver. It does require use of a long-eye relief (scout) scope. You can check out a video of the mount on YouTube: Brass Stacker? See-Thru Scout Scope Mount for the Mosin Nagant 91/30 - YouTube

Looks like a nice option if you do intend to scope the rifle. I obviously haven't used it yet, but I like this option over some others I've seen.

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been talked about before, I just tried to use the search for 35 mins without luck. If there is another thread on this please post me the link :)

Anyways like the title says I have a 1930 mosin. I don't really know anything about it just what I have been researching the last month. Picked it up from a gun show from a collector saying it was special. So far I don't see it.

I recently picked up a utg scope mount from amazon. Didn't want to drill into the gun so this seemed like a good option.

I want to be able to shoot paper at ~200 yards and the iron sights are a little difficult for that haha.

Now I am stuck on scopes. I have seen a few reviews on some called NG and leatherwood?
Any other input on scope would be awesome!

Thanks!

Here is my write up on adding a "Scout" style scope to a Mosin

Long Eye Relief Scope

I chose to use an NC Star 2-7x32 Pistol scope and purchased it off Amazon. There are many people out there using this exact same scope on Mosin's and they seem to have left positive reviews. I've put over 20 round down range with mine with no ill effects. For a cheap solution, it can't be beat.

Thanks!
Yea I wish I'd seen the brass stacker before, I have already purchased the UTG.

@ DieselScout Your setup is pretty nice. Can you link the scope from Amazon? Thank you!

This has been discussed ad nauseum on another forum. The general consensus is this;

Cheap scopes are bad. Spend the money for a quality scope.
Anything with 'ATI' in the name is as useful as herpes.
Anything that requires drilling into a rifle with even a hint of collectible features will cause regret in 10 years.
LER scopes have limited usefulness.
If you use an LER scope get one that is fixed power(4x is better than 6x)
Most scope mounts require less of a cheek weld and more of a chin weld.

My own experience;

S&K scope mount on 91/30 with NCStar fixed power 4x LER; solid, held zero for 800 rounds
S&K scope mount on 91/30 with Leupold fixed power 4x LER; 2000ish rounds, still on zero.

My current favourite set-up is an M44 with a PSL's POSP 4x scope on a MOLOT mount. Required drilling the receiver and cutting into the wood. Rifle was a common one with no significant markings and a stock that some chump had already sanded and refinished before I got it. I'd not recommend anyone go that route though, it's not able to berestored.

I had an M38 that I set up with a Nikon EER scope a number of years ago. The scope was excellent and it held zero beautifully. The weak point was the mount.

I changed it out and put a Mojo click sight on it. I found it much faster to acquire the target and wound up happier with that setup than the scope.

Just food for thought.

Honestly, 91/30's are - well, easy to find. Unless you have a really, really rare model, drilling and tapping won't effect the value that much. It's a $100 rifle that will be worth $100 afterward.

Go to SurplusRilfeForum and check out all the threads on scoping mosins...there are a bunch.

Surplusrifle Forum ? Index page

I love my Mosins. No, there aren't Mausers, but the 91/30 is the rifle that really won WWII.

Honestly, 91/30's are - well, easy to find. Unless you have a really, really rare model, drilling and tapping won't effect the value that much. It's a $100 rifle that will be worth $100 afterward.

Said every guy that tapped his Mauser 10-20 years ago and now regrets screwing up something that has risen in value substantially. I'd never advise drilling into a Mosin older than '42 just because they're harder to find these days.

Said every guy that tapped his Mauser 10-20 years ago and now regrets screwing up something that has risen in value substantially. I'd never advise drilling into a Mosin older than '42 just because they're harder to find these days.

I understand and respect that opinion, however for me my Mosin was bought as a cheap project gun for me to enjoy. I have never thought of selling it again. No regrets here.:D

I understand and respect that opinion, however for me my Mosin was bought as a cheap project gun for me to enjoy. I have never thought of selling it again. No regrets here.:D

Agreed. Honestly I think the weak point of scoping, either scout or SER, is a quality mount. Yeah the NCStar or Bushnell, or Hwang, will get you there for a while. As long as the mount is quality and stays solid it can bolster a bottom-shelf scope up a bit.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on another forum. The general consensus is this;

Cheap scopes are bad. Spend the money for a quality scope.
Anything with 'ATI' in the name is as useful as herpes.
Anything that requires drilling into a rifle with even a hint of collectible features will cause regret in 10 years.
LER scopes have limited usefulness.
If you use an LER scope get one that is fixed power(4x is better than 6x)
Most scope mounts require less of a cheek weld and more of a chin weld.

My own experience;

S&K scope mount on 91/30 with NCStar fixed power 4x LER; solid, held zero for 800 rounds
S&K scope mount on 91/30 with Leupold fixed power 4x LER; 2000ish rounds, still on zero.

My current favourite set-up is an M44 with a PSL's POSP 4x scope on a MOLOT mount. Required drilling the receiver and cutting into the wood. Rifle was a common one with no significant markings and a stock that some chump had already sanded and refinished before I got it. I'd not recommend anyone go that route though, it's not able to berestored.

Thanks! Was there a particular Leupold? I like the idea of a fixed powered scope.

Do you mind posting a photo of your mount please.

Here's a couple photos if someone wants to tell me I have something special :eek:

photo11.jpg
photo2-4.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

The hex receiver is more desirable than a round one and the wood looks pretty good. The common folklore is that they're stronger than the round receivers. Check and see how many parts match the receiver number. Bolt, trigger guard, magazine, butt plate, etc.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide

These guys will tell you every thing you ever wanted to know about the over 5 million 91/30s built.

I've never drilled and tapped one, but I don't see them as "collector's items" unless it is an unusual make/model. (Note: This is for Russian rifles. If'n it was a Finn, don't dare touch it!)

Wonderful thing about the surplus rifle world, every body has their own take on what you have. Your rifle, your decision. If you do decide to go the drill and tap route, these guys have good mounts for Soviet style rifles Welcome to Kalinka Optics Warehouse!

Well, it's a Tula made rifle which is less common. It looks like someone re-finished the stock so that takes down value if you're worried about collectibility. Nice looking metal on it.

How does it shoot?

The wood wasn't as shinny until I had someone clean it. I think they just used pledge or something haha.

It shoot pretty good IMO. I have shot it about 40 times at 50-75 yards. Off a bench I was getting pretty tight groupings ~4 inches. As like most of these rifles the steel butt plate feels amazing, if I enjoyed being hit by a bus on a daily basis. I bought a "Spam Can" at a gun show that leaves a lot of copper in the barrel, but oh well I guess that's surplus.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide

These guys will tell you every thing you ever wanted to know about the over 5 million 91/30s built.

I've never drilled and tapped one, but I don't see them as "collector's items" unless it is an unusual make/model. (Note: This is for Russian rifles. If'n it was a Finn, don't dare touch it!)

Wonderful thing about the surplus rifle world, every body has their own take on what you have. Your rifle, your decision. If you do decide to go the drill and tap route, these guys have good mounts for Soviet style rifles Welcome to Kalinka Optics Warehouse!

Sweet! I will have to measure when I get home. Thanks for the links.

Kalinka has a lot of cool products. This scope seems badass: <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top