JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am curious what the desire is for this gun - Mosin Nagant
I see them for sale at local stores for Bout $150 - $200

I ahve seen some peopel do gunsmithing on them and changing stocks and bolt handles, scope mounts

So I am curious what is the attraction? Relic? Good bench rifle, Cheap Rifle?
Good long range distance rifle? Somerthing to play with and modify

Appreciate any input

I just picked up one from Classicarms.com and was very impressed with it, the prices vary ($75 to $140) depending on the model you want but you can not beat the $75 for a cheap classic rifle. Plus with the cost of ammo as low as it is and the available parts you could do whatever you want with it for a lot cheaper then anything else.

fun to shoot, cheap to buy, collectable-enough differences to keep one busy with all the variations. You ought to be able to find one of the cheaper ones and a can of 440 rounds for around $200. As far as modding one, don't bother, in 10 years you'll look at it and say "WTF did I do that?". If you want to hunt buy a good used commercial rifle for around $300.

I personally consider it a great price for what you get. I am not a hunter and do not have a $1500 rifle set-up. IF I ever want to try hunting - or - if I have need to "reach out and touch something" my $100 Nagant would do it about as effectively as any $750+ rifle. Yea they are not as "modern" (size and weight) but just as effective....

Warning about gunsnammo.com; they advertise that(edit; some of) their Finn Mosins are unfired, which is true, but many of the examples they're selling were constructed from unused arsenal parts. That means they are not historically correct and have little to no collectible value other than the age of the disparate parts. Besides that the rifles they sell are in amazing shape and tend to be highly accurate.

I have 3 Mosin-Nagants, 1 untouched 91/30, one untouched M44, and a frankenrifle that I built out of an M44. Ammo is cheap, my 91/30 is incredibly accurate out to 300y, and there's nothing better than that kick and fireball.

If'n I bought a Finn it wouldn't be for collecting but for shooting, so I'm not worried about them being real or not. 91/30 rifles aren't collectables for me, they are shooters...they built millions of them, so I can't see them being a "rare collectable" type weapon.

But, I love mine. It shoots every time I pull the trigger, I can get a tin of ammo delivered for about 100 from Century and shoot for a long, long time....

Big 5 sells Hot Shot soft point in 147 grain which is the same as the silver tip ammo I get, so that helps...

great stuff

I still have some Yugo heavy ball 192gr ball "Match" ammo in a small quanity which is very hard to find nowadays and I only use it in Eastern Ore. (<:}-
I have had good luck with Surplus Ammo and Arms (Lakewood WA.) on the light ball as two 440rd cans have ran $159.00 and the UPS charge is $12.00 to east vancouver.

<broken link removed>

I love my Nagant. My friend bought it for me as a birthday present. It's cheap to shoot, very accurate and kicks like a mule. They usually have them at Big 5 for less than a $100. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. If there are multiple rifles when you go ask to look at each of them and pic the nicest one. :)

Gotta ask questions when you deal with any of the importers and dealers on these older firearms. Last Mosin I got from Burns was an unissued 1952 Polish M44 all #'s matching and good photos before I purchased it. Also put in the $7.00 trigger return spring in it with a little polish and stoning here and there and the trigger is right at 4.2lbs.
We have a 1942 91/30 I got from Andrew that will tag a 4x4 target @ 700yds with my old eyes that see a blurry front sight now days.

View attachment 185226

View attachment 185223

They're cheap, accurate, reliable and durrable as heck. The only draw backs are the bolt (it goes straight up, making scope mounts unique or the need to modify the bolt), the size (a standard 91/30 is 48.5 inches from barrel to stock) and the trigger (the average trigger pull is about 10lbs).

I agree with most people on this forum about $150 being too much for a Mosin...I found my second Mosin for $98 at Ace Hardware. The one cool thing the Mosin has going for it is the fact that they (mainly the Russians) still make the ammuniton (7.62x54R) in bulk. The 7.62x54R is still in use for the RPK machine gun and the SVD (just to name a couple guns). The 7.62x54R is a BEAST of a round as well. I was searching for a cheap rifle to have as a cache gun and I ended up buying a second to practice long range shooting with as well. I originally wanted a K98 Mauser or even a British .303 Enfield...but good luck finding any of those for under $100 with ammo less than $0.20 a bullet. The Mosin has a lot going for it as well...I just recently put an NC Star 4x30 pistol scope on my Mosin (pistol scopes have an 8" or greater eye relief so I can mount the scope on the rear sight base) for about $30.

I can get about 1" groups from her at 300 yards (benchrest). Not bad for a surplus rifle with surplus ammunition!

The headstamp on that '21'? That would make it Polish, not Russian. The .ru variety is superior above most others. Either way these aren't built for 1000m competition anyhow.

That is their current I guess. The guy in their wharehouse can tell you the current head stamp on cans in stock if you want..
I had some Yugo awhile back that was ok, but real stinky/smelly burning stuff..

There is just something totally cool about taking a rifle that was used to defend Stalingrad in WWII down to the range. (Don't tell me mine wasn't used at Stalingrad. It was!) (Probably... most likely... maybe)... Best 89 bucks I ever spent (thanks Coctailer). Looks great on the wall too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top