JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After seeing how cheap the surplus ammo is, I was thinking about picking up a mosin for plinking to tide me over until things return to normal. Can anyone recommend a shop within 50 miles of Seattle? Anything to look out for, reasonable price? Etc.

Thanks.

A different twist....

<broken link removed>

Hmmm...with all of the aftermarket 'improvements' I've seen to Mosins over the years, that 10 round detachable mag has got to be the most practical and innovative yet. It doesn't even look like a Mosin any more. The mag pretty much puts the rifle in the same league as the Enfield as far as volumes of sustained firepower is considered. And the fact that you don't have to bubba the rifle to install it is excellent too.

Keith

If you get one you should look into a Mojo peep sight for it. They allow you to make adjustments for both windage and elevation, way easier than trying to move the front sight.

Nagants | Mojo Sights

I got one off of Gungroker.com a few years ago. Still in the cosmoline, had all the accessories, and the bore looked like it had never been fired. Really cool gun. Made the mistake of shooting up hill and had the butt of the stock a little high once. That metal butt plate doesn't feel good when it hits your collar bone!

Also keep in mind that most of the ammo is corrosive so be sure to clean it after shooting.

I'm thinking about picking one up to build a project, and that stock will be my inspiration. The last one I did was an old 6.5x55 Swede, when they were so cheap. Bent the bolt, good optics, stock. Was a tack driver.

Guess I need to start shopping.

I had a pile of them back then, and they were $99 all day. I put a Timney trigger, a $50 fiber stock, and Nikon 3-9x40. All in I was into the project around $300. Sold it to somebody back in '05 for $500. Built it in the mid 90's. Made a great hunting rifle.

I had a pile of them back then, and they were $99 all day. I put a Timney trigger, a $50 fiber stock, and Nikon 3-9x40. All in I was into the project around $300. Sold it to somebody back in '05 for $500. Built it in the mid 90's. Made a great hunting rifle.

Oh no. You made money on a gun? You must be a horrible person.

Just kidding.

I think it is funny that some of the members seem to be proud of the fact that they have lost money on every gun they ever sold. Don't mean to change the subject of the thread.

Well, as a gunsmith, I had time invested there as well, and my time has never been free. I'm not big on the profiteering stuff I see going on at the moment, but people are people and greed is king.

Any way, how much are the Mosins running these days. I had one of the old short barreled ones at one point, but think a long barrel would be better suited to my purposes.

That metal butt plate doesn't feel good when it hits your collar bone!

You need to get what I got. This has been so nice.
Amazon.com: Aim Sports Mosin Nagant 1-Inch Extended Recoil Buttpad: Sports & Outdoors

Also keep in mind that most of the ammo is corrosive so be sure to clean it after shooting.

And just for those who might not know, it is the primers which create corrosive salts upon firing. So, cleaning includes FIRST washing (with water at the minimum) the bore (I pour hot water down it and wet patches afterwards) and THEN clean it normally using your solvent.

Me, I had a 91/30 but it was too big for me. So I bought an M38 Carbine and I love it. Recently bought 440 rounds for $85 from Sportsman's Guide website.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top