JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason they're so cheap is that there were over 20 million of them made between 1891 and 1945. As for simplicity and construction, you won't find a more durable rifle; those things were meant to take a beating from the elements and Russian peasants and still keep shooting. They will last longer than you will. I have 2 long rifles and 2 carbines and love the heck out of them. The price will increase as supplies dry up but the 7.62 x 54R ammo is still being used to this day so it will be available for a while.

I have one, depending on how it shoots I might pick up a couple more. I like the character of the old commie guns, someday it would like to have an AK47 and an SKS to hang on the beam along side the MN. I have to get some ammo for it, I'm curious how mine shoots, it's got a pretty decent trigger pull on it. I see guys dropping big game with them on the YouTubes.

Classic posted on their Facebook page that they will be out of those $99 B-grades by tomorrow morning. Still, deals can be had. Don't fall for the hype, however. While the hex receiver models and Tula made models are commanding a higher premium there is nothing wrong with a rounded receiver made by Ishevsk. Unless you are a pedantic collector, any version will give you hours of shooting fun. Surplus ammo can still be had for less than $100/440 round spam can if you know where to find it; I picked up a can from Sportsman's Guide last month for $85 (including shipping and a can opener).

I have one, depending on how it shoots I might pick up a couple more. I like the character of the old commie guns, someday it would like to have an AK47 and an SKS to hang on the beam along side the MN. I have to get some ammo for it, I'm curious how mine shoots, it's got a pretty decent trigger pull on it. I see guys dropping big game with them on the YouTubes.
Funny that you say that. The M/N was first designed and produced while the Tzars still ruled Russia, a couple decades before the commies.
Mosin?Nagant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the best site I know on this venerable firearm and its caliber: 7.62x54r.net

This is the best site I know on this venerable firearm and its caliber: 7.62x54r.net

OH NOES! Go to that site and you will get infected with the virus which causes Mosinitis! Soon every room in your house will be filled with Vintovka Mosina and all it's variants. Start with one Molot re-furb and next thing you know you'll be tripping over the Finnish versions, Hungarian and DDR marked Mosins and then you'll offer up an arm, leg and your first-born for an original, non import marked Westinghouse or Remington made Mosin. LOL

Is a Mosin worth the money?

Let me think about that- YES. Yes it is.

What can you get for 99 dollars? A used saturday night special missing one grip and without a magazine, one midrange accessory for an AR-15 that you will never use, or ammunition.

Or you can get the Mosin, which is an indestructible rifle that can be used in pole vault competitions, can hold up your tent, can be used as an oar, is handy for impromptu games of baseball, and also does a pretty good job at roasting hotdogs. Honestly I'm surprised Billy Mays never sold these things on tv.

Is a Mosin worth the money?

Let me think about that- YES. Yes it is.

What can you get for 99 dollars? A used saturday night special missing one grip and without a magazine, one midrange accessory for an AR-15 that you will never use, or ammunition.

Or you can get the Mosin, which is an indestructible rifle that can be used in pole vault competitions, can hold up your tent, can be used as an oar, is handy for impromptu games of baseball, and also does a pretty good job at roasting hotdogs. Honestly I'm surprised Billy Mays never sold these things on tv.

SOLD.

I hand selected and paid $84 each (They would hold them for me in back till the sale came) at Big 5 in the recent past, including some excellent hex receivers and M44s. The ones I've scout scoped do 2 MOA with mil surp

They are great at bargain prices, but at $200.00, they still are what they've always been—indifferently made POS mil-surp bolt rifles, clearly obsolete in their heyday. Every other allied bolt gun of the era is a better rifle, as is the Swiss K-31 and Mauser actions from Germany, Sweden, Yugo, Turkey, and Spain.

If it weren't for the still cheaply available ammo, the Mosin would be the obsolete wall hanger that it should be.

They are great at bargain prices, but at $200.00, they still are what they've always been—indifferently made POS mil-surp bolt rifles, clearly obsolete in their heyday. Every other allied bolt gun of the era is a better rifle, as is the Swiss K-31 and Mauser actions from Germany, Sweden, Yugo, Turkey, and Spain.

If it weren't for the still cheaply available ammo, the Mosin would be the obsolete wall hanger that it should be.

Not particularly accurate. Spoken from a modern and somewhat snobbish perspective.

Mosin was designed in 1891 and kept modernized until semi-auto/select-fire firearms became dominant through updates. The bolt itself is simple and rugged, and extremely reminiscent of the French Lebel in action.

If you want to argue it was 'obsolete' despite being a typical rifle of the time, then you'll have to admit everything was obsolete compared to the Lee Enfield. Ten rounds, smoothest action of all, very good sights. I have both a Mauser and Enfield, and I say without hesitation that the Enfield is vastly superior, while the Mauser doesn't have that many advantages over a Mosin at all.

It's a military rifle designed in 1891. It's still in combat today.

And the biggest test of quality? Soviet Snipers killed hundreds upon hundreds of Mauser-wielding Germans with those 'POS rifles'.

It's not cushy, not comfortable, but it will shoot better than most of us can if given the right ammo.

in 2000 my uncles kept on about how much they loved em.Me being a sks fan I went to big 5 handed them my $79 and went home with a really clean m44.In broad daylight it spit 2ft flames and put paper punch holes in steal I beams at 100yrds.They arent $80 any more but I wish I still had mine And would pay $200 for a nice one

What makes them so fun? I've seen them at Big 5 before and never gave a thought to buying one. Can you reload for them? Or is ammo so cheap you can't reload at that price? I must be missing out on something.

Go to this U tube video and see if any other rifle same time period would stand up to this mistreatment: Mosin Nagant Torture Test: Part 1 - YouTube . I honestly don't think anyone would try because they would be out too much money and I doubt if they would hold up as well. I have one I am going to shoot as a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle because for the price of the cheapest alternative I can buy 3 to 6 Mosin Nagant rifles. I will pull the surplus $.20 a round ammo I have and reload them with black powder and a lead bullet. Cost will probably end up being $.35-40 a round aws a high estimate and I think I can sell the original bullets to offset this cost some. My .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block costs easily 5 times as much each round and if you don't reload costs in the $4-5.00 range. Black powder is fun for the boom,fire and smoke not to mention it has been around a lot longer, almost 4 times as long.
But even if you were going to shoot a Mosin Nagant rifle with surplus, new or reloaded ammo, they would be as good buy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top