Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin Nagant Sniper?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by chiefchip, Nov 7, 2009.

1. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

I recently aquired a Mosin Nagant rifle. I was looking for one to sport. The rifle I got has a bent bolt and the stock has been cut on the left side and there is two holes drilled and tapped in the receiver where a scope was apparently mounted at one time. I don't want to bubba this weapon if it is a tru Nagant sniper rifle. I have heard that there is a lot of fake snipers around. Is there anyway to tell if this is a real Nagant sniper or not? Any help would be appreciated.

Chip

2. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

As I understand it the snipers were just regular 91/30's that shot well enough that they drilled the receiver for the side mount scope. Go shoot it at 100 or 200 yards, and if it is even close to a modern hunting rifle then call it a sniper. Don't be too disapointed if it isn't though, I have two of them that are great fun to shoot but they are 3 - 4 moa on a good day even after working on them, getting barrel float, and cleaning bore for hours.

3. chiefchip

I found one on gunbroker that is almost exactly what I have.

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of the holes/pins in the receiver and the stock cut? That should narrow it down a bit. What is the arsenal (Tula/Ishevsk)?

Keith

5. chiefchip

Keith, the above link shows the same rifle (marks, etc) only difference is mine has a
    1943r date not 1944r

6. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

Real quick tell on the "snipers" remove bolt look at the receivers left side on the inside if you see were there are screws comming thru that don't show in outside you have a retired sniper. the scope mount holes were filled and the outside smoothed up but they show on the inside.

7. trainsktg

Chip,

I'll be home next weekend and I live fairly close (Scappoose). I can check it out in person if you'd like. So much depends on the arsenal, markings, even the appearance of the cuts in the wood, before a determination of its true authenticity can be made. I think I'd be interested in this one if it turns out to be real.

Keith

8. chiefchip

Keith I will be elk hunting next weekend, so get ahold of me and we will meet up after/before that.

Thanks,
    Chip

9. trainsktg

Oops, I screw up. I'll be home in two weekends (over Thanksgiving) not this weekend. I'll get in touch with you a few days before then.

Keith

10. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

My understanding too, is that the Russians, rather than actually improve their manufacturing processes, just took the really accurate flukes and made them the sniper rifles. However, a rifle that is really accurate today was probably not a sniper. The Russians would use the sniper rifles until they began to lose their accuracy and then remove the scope and place the rifle into regular service. The irony is that the former sniper Mosin Nagants are likely to be the least accurate and most worn out Mosins out there. That said, I still would want one for my collection.

11. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

This website is invaluable for deciphering markings, pictures of what to look for and other Mosin info: http://7.62x54r.net/

12. chiefchip

This is what it looks like, the holes are tapped and go all the way through the side of the receiver.

13. chiefchip

Thank You very much

14. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

If the holes are empty not filled then it is probably a fake, century arms has done quiet a few, the finds are the filled holes

15. chiefchip

Thanks

16. trainsktg

Possibly. But...Samco is currently selling original scopeless snipers...real Mosin snipers with the scopes removed but everything else still in place...holes, pegs and turned bolt. This might be one of these.

I was planning on buying one of these Samcos and adding a reproduction scope until I can find a real one. I also have a counterbored ex-sniper ($100 Big 5 purchase from two years ago) that is scary accurate out to 450 yards (the limits of my vision shooting with open sights :) ).

Keith