Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin Nagant shoot?

Discussion in 'Events & Get Togethers' started by darkminstrel, Apr 2, 2009.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I've been tossing around the idea of gathering a bunch of us who have one flavour of MN or another and heading out to throw lead. Any Portland locals interested?

2. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Not Portland area, so not convenient.. but I AM getting interested in those rifles, thinking about getting one or three..... so far, don't even know what round they chamber. But I've heard they are fine rifles, and often cheap.

3. darkminstrel

I'd suggest hitting up http://www.aimsurplus.com/. Sure you can try Big5 but there selection tends to be on the lower end from my experience. The round is a 7.62x54r cartridge right up there with a 30-06 in power. Ammo is cheap by the surplus can(~150 for 880). Hit up http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 and read all you can about maintenance, proper cleaning, and desired variants if you want them for more than just shooting.

4. wavo

wavo Portland Member

I would definitely be interested in this, as would another friend. I have 3 MN's that I have never fired. Keep me posted for details. Next weekend I am going out of town to a relative's house in the country and I'm bringing all three to make sure they function properly, after I confirm they all work I'll really be raring to go!

:thumbup:

5. PosterGuy

PosterGuy Hillsboro Member

I'm in. I will rule you all with my original PU Sniper:laugh::laugh::laugh:!

Nathan

6. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Thanks, interesting sites. Yeah, I've seen the worn out junk M-N's at Big 5 and have never been impressed....

that 7.62 x 54 round, is that the same as the old "7.62 NATO" round? Seems about right, and if I remember my post Second German War history, part of why that one was designated the NATO round was that Russia didn't want to retool and make new rifles that used this round. And, of course, in those days everyone "trusted" the commies, and laid down in front of them, giving in wherever they could. It wasn't long after that they began to overrun the rest of Europe, having partitioned off huge blocs in the post war "agreements". Churchill was livid, but had done his bit, having been central to preserving England against the Third Reich. Everyone was tired of fighting and wanted "peace". Yeah, right. Well, we got it..... sort of. Thinking about getting a C&R license... I hear its a simple one to get, no inspections, no "proper premises"... just the usual background check. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a case or three of a usable and significantly powerful long range rifle lying about... never know when something like that mightn't come handy.

7. tuckerha

tuckerha Tucson, Arizona Member

Couple things about Big 5 when I worked there during college. Their sales on the MN's are pretty good. They normally have one or two in the back locked up, in addition to the one on the floor. If you get a chance to see what they may have in the back, you may find one that's in better shape. I bought my Enfield jungle carbine from them years ago. The one on display lookd like crap, but the one in the back when straight from the truck to my layaway plan.
    Anyways, my 2 cents.

Heath

8. Wierzbowski

Wierzbowski Sherwood Member

The 7.62 NATO is 7.62x51, which is a shortened version of the 30-06. The 7.62x54R is a different round from the same (earlier) era as the .303 British, 8mm Lebel, and the 30-40 Krag.

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I think he means the 7.62x54.....30-06

10. Wierzbowski

The 30-06 is 7.62x63.

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

D'OH!
    Really?
    I didn't know that.

12. Wierzbowski

You don't see the metric designation for the '06 very often. I don't know that it was used much by those outside the US.

13. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

14. darkminstrel

That video and a thread on another board are exactly what I'm hoping for.

15. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

let me know, I have a couple of the ol' 7.62 Russians

16. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

If I get one in time Im in

17. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

If? Your paying shipping and handling bud!

18. darkminstrel

Hmm. Didn't think of that...Well, I've got 4 to share.

19. LC450

LC450 The Peoples Republic of WA State Member

If it's a weekend Shoot and somewhere to park my 5th wheel, I'd be interested. Would this shoot be a 'only Mosin-Nagant shoot', cause I have a few other rifles like a British Bren's, #1 mark-3's and other's that also shoot 7.62x54R, And I believe sharing is a must

20. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

I'm there - now should I bring the sniper or the M39 :D