JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a Mosin Nagant from Big 5 a few days ago.

I took it apart and spent several hours cleaning and oiling it. It has been a lot of fun.

I am wondering if I should do anything else to it, or is their anything specific I should check before I fire it?

Also, the bayonet does not fit over the barrel far enough to lock it in place. I am hoping that someone has some advice on making it fit.

Thanks

Mosins are a fun rifle to shoot... For me the biggest concern is after I visit the range.

Since I shoot corrosive surplus ammo -- just about all the surplus 7.62x54r is corrosive -- I give the bore, bolt & chamber a mop/swab as soon as I'm done. Because the corrosive salts are water soluble, any soapy water rinse will work. I use a bit of diluted Simple Green, since I have that for my blackpowder toys. I invested in a boresnake just for corrosively primed .30 cal.

I soak the front end of the boresnake in the solution, pass it thru several times (each time adding a lil bit more). I use a moist paper towel or rag to clean the chamber as best i can, and use Q-Tips to clean the boltface, and any other spot I need to. With a standard cleaning rod/OTIS, I run some dry patches thru the bore and wipe down the chamber/bolt to remove any moisture. Finally, I follow up with an oily patch down the bore & wipe any dry areas with oil to prevent rust.

I'll follow this clean up at home with my standard cleaning procedure.

As far as the bayonet goes, I've used a lil piece of scotchbrite to cleanup/polish the inside of the bayonet until it goes on. Sometimes you may need to use some very fine cut jewelers files to deburr. Just go slow... and the bayonet will tell you where it needs some fine tuning.

Cheers!

Use the go-no go tool that came with your mosin to make sure the bolt is good to go. I also was much happier with the action of the bolt after taking it apart, cleaning, lube it and where the bolt slides back in forth.

I had the very same problem with my bayonet, all parts had matching serials except my bayonet. I ended up putting a little gun oil in the bayonet socket and the gently hammering it in with a piece of wood in between the hammer and the flat barrel end of the bayonet socket.

I left the bayonet on for a week and now it comes on and off with little trouble.

I just got a Mosin Nagant from Big 5 a few days ago.

I took it apart and spent several hours cleaning and oiling it. It has been a lot of fun.

I am wondering if I should do anything else to it, or is their anything specific I should check before I fire it?

Also, the bayonet does not fit over the barrel far enough to lock it in place. I am hoping that someone has some advice on making it fit.

Thanks

If you got it at big 5 Im sure the headspace is fine. But check if you're worried. Down here in CA, those mosins are all over the place. There are like 6 big-5 sporting goods in my area and sell tons of those mosins. Ive never heard of anyone having HS issues with em.

One tip, clean that chamber and bolt like crazy. Bring plenty of paper towels on your first shoot. That cosmo starts melting away in the strangest places once you shoot it and it heats up. Then, you coukd fall victim to the infamous mosin sticky bolt :) That cosmo just gums crap up in there sometimes so bring your cleaning kit with you.

When I finish shooting for the day, I squirt some ammonia +water in there to flush out the corrosive salts from the primers... then clean as usual at home.

I have actually seen cosmo ooze out of the trigger guard before :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top