JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a couple Mosins, and I love 'em. One is a hex receiver with beautiful brass fittings, which I haven't seen elsewhere, but which surely are not unique. I tried googling a bit and didn't find anything very useful, so if anyone has info, feel free to pass it along.

check this place out:

http://7.62x54r.net/

This is more info than you can ever use on Mosin Nagants. You can also check out the forum, but remember these guys are hardcore collectors, and they don't want people talking about adding scopes or refinishing rifles or that kind of thing.

check this place out:

http://7.62x54r.net/

This is more info than you can ever use on Mosin Nagants. You can also check out the forum, but remember these guys are hardcore collectors, and they don't want people talking about adding scopes or refinishing rifles or that kind of thing.

So your saying they won't appreciate the work I did on my Mosin???

2635022443_cabe134070.jpg

The cheapest way to get a Mosin is to pick one up when you are making a different purchase. I paid about 25-30 bucks less than they were asking (already under 100) for my M44 and New England Westinghouse 91 (at separate times). I asked the guys at my favorite pawn shop how cheap they could throw them in since I was already purchasing a other guns for a few hundred bucks and they cut me a great deal.
I did drive to the valley from C.Oregon to pick up my hex 91/30 that I got on GB though, totally worth it.
If you don't need a specific/perfect Mosin then they are a good 'extra' buy.

After reviewing the 7.62x54r site I can tell you the following about the Mosin I got from Cocktailer yesterday...

1940 stamp Izhevsk post-1938 Soviet M91/30. 4 digit serials match on receiver, buttplate, bolt, and magazine floorplate. Ukrainian depot/refurbishment mark on stock. Bayonet serial does not match rifle serials. 7959 takedown tool, plus misc. cleaning tools and muzzle cover. Post WW2 soviet two-holer oiler. Post WW2 soviet double leather pouch with brass stud strap holders. Canvas strap is new-old-stock with an undecipherable stamp of the manufacturer on the webbing. The top forearm piece has brass fittings fore and aft.

I'm sure there is a refurbishment stamp somewhere on the barrel/receiver, but I wouldn't know it if it leaped out at me. Nothing on the Mosin site looks like what I have in this regard.

Finish is all there, but it has been handled/stacked/stored so the bluing isn't 100%. Likewise the stock varnish has some scratches where it got rubbed off while installing the rear barrel band, etc.

I'm amused at how many stamps/strikes/symbols/inspector marks there are on the receiver/bbl. I guess the soviet way of doing things is to use 20 people to do 1 job? Cripes!

Great rifle for the price, can't wait to get some ammo to try it out-

After reviewing the 7.62x54r site I can tell you the following about the Mosin I got from Cocktailer yesterday...

1940 stamp Izhevsk post-1938 Soviet M91/30. 4 digit serials match on receiver, buttplate, bolt, and magazine floorplate. Ukrainian depot/refurbishment mark on stock. Bayonet serial does not match rifle serials. 7959 takedown tool, plus misc. cleaning tools and muzzle cover. Post WW2 soviet two-holer oiler. Post WW2 soviet double leather pouch with brass stud strap holders. Canvas strap is new-old-stock with an undecipherable stamp of the manufacturer on the webbing. The top forearm piece has brass fittings fore and aft.

I'm sure there is a refurbishment stamp somewhere on the barrel/receiver, but I wouldn't know it if it leaped out at me. Nothing on the Mosin site looks like what I have in this regard.

Finish is all there, but it has been handled/stacked/stored so the bluing isn't 100%. Likewise the stock varnish has some scratches where it got rubbed off while installing the rear barrel band, etc.

I'm amused at how many stamps/strikes/symbols/inspector marks there are on the receiver/bbl. I guess the soviet way of doing things is to use 20 people to do 1 job? Cripes!

Great rifle for the price, can't wait to get some ammo to try it out-

//

Great stuff! I'm glad you found interesting stuff on the site.

There is definitely something appealing about the Mosins.....I bought one from Coctailer awhile ago which is sixth. Two M44's, an M38, two round reciever (Big 5) 91/30's, and one hex 91/30....I have yet to fire any of 'em but will get an opportunity soon. Most will call them ugly but I disagree, and the history aspect is great. Plus I'm sure they'd make a far better club if necessary than any AR:s0155:

I own two 91/30s, an M38 and an M44. Eventually, I'll buy more, but there are other types of milsurp firearms that I'm interested in as well.

(did anyone say Mauser? Enfield? Springfield?)

Most will call them ugly but I disagree, and the history aspect is great. Plus I'm sure they'd make a far better club if necessary than any AR:s0155:

Someone said they are "ugly!?" Mosins are friggin works of art! If anyone ever tries to take a whack at me with their AR I'll just step back 5' and stick 'em with my bayonet. :D

I own two 91/30s, an M38 and an M44. Eventually, I'll buy more, but there are other types of milsurp firearms that I'm interested in as well.

(did anyone say Mauser? Enfield? Springfield?)

Get them while you can. m38s are near gone, m44ss are a little harder to find and a 91/30 is still cheap. Best thing to buy now is an m39 as they are considered the best model and will be soon hard to find.

Everyone called Mausers cheap rifles until they ran out, people still kicking themselves for not buying a ton years ago.

Get the Mosin Nagant while its cheap, it'll jump in value in less than a decade.

I remember a sale a few years ago you could get "battle pick-up" M44s for like, 40-50 bucks, it was a carpshoot as to condition and such, but a little work and you had a decent carbine for less then a BB gun >.>

I don't know much about mosin rifles, but I thought they were all Russian made or whatever. My friend told me he bought one and i was like hmmmmmm. I like them but not a fan of the bolt action.... so when I went to his house I was expecting some old....wood.... cool aged rifle. WRONG!!! He has one with a black stock (synthetic) and it is made by Remington. I didn't know that there were U.S. made mosins out there so..... thought I share that and my friend also spent like $80 for 440 rnds of ammo for his mosin. I am going shooting in a few days and I can't wait to see how it shoots.

Russia, Finland, Hungary, Poland, China, France, America -- everybody made Mosins at one point or another. They were even made in the early seventies in Finland... some eighty years after they were introduced.

The Tkiv 85 is Finland's current sniper rifle, all built with Type 1 (the earliest) Mosin Nagant receivers. Finland never manufactured receivers, though. They are all of Russian origin.

The US and French Mosins are highly valued by the collector, as are any Mosins from Finland. Original Hungarian 91/30 snipers are probably the most expensive Mosins, other than some really rare near-unique examples.

Keith

Well, range test today on the 91/30 I got from Cocktailer. I defintely had the 'best looking' one at Clark Rifles today (refinished the stock, spiffed up the brass, etc...).

Bulgarian lacquered 150gr stuff stuck to the chamber repeatedly, in spite of herculean effort to clean out the cosmoline.

Copper-washed Russian 150gr stuff had a touch more kick and functioned flawlessly.

The 'rough' looking bore cleaned up some, guess I didn't get all the crap out in spite of gasoline, carb cleaner, several brushes, etc...

However, she shoots 18" high and 4" right at 100yds., (I use the Navy-style hold, not 6 o-clock), SO, will search for a taller front sight or contemplate that scout-scoping arrangement I've seen.

I can see why folks like these critters, kicks less than my Springfield.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top