JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a 1942 Mosin Nagant M91/30. Im going to post my full experience but I have one more thing I want to do first..mount a long eye relief pistol scope on the 3/8 dovetail below the base of the rear site.,I took a couple wacks with a hammer and a punch and neither budged. I read to soak it in cpl break free or wd40 for 10 minutes to loosen it up and eat through any solder. Does this work? Is one more effective? What about a propane torch..would that help? Any real life experience will be helpful. I don't want to ruin the site if im not going to be able to get it off. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you have to fold the sight base up before striking out the pin, and it only goes in and out from one side iirc (like the pin was tapered on one end or something). It has been a while since i pulled one apart, but it does seem like it was a pita. Fold the sight up like towards the muzzle (and hold it up like that, not resting against the breech) before striking the pin and see if that helps

Thanks for the replies! I like the picture because I can see what side they were punching from (looks to be left..thought I read the opposite online though..more research I guess lol) anyone know more about how to loosen them up? Mine seem very stubborn

Honestly im not sure on the punch type. I just used one my dad had...which was a cylinder shape and had an indent on the bottom. I bought done blue punches from home depot but once I got home the smallest looked to big. I just tried my dads so I could take the others back. I only tried a few hits because the two pins weren't moving. I read afterwards that the pointed punch could expand the pin which isn't good so im trying to research it more before my second attempt.

You need to use a Pin punch just barely smaller than the pins so you do not distort the sight mount pin as you state above.
I think I used an .0938 or 3/32"

Example but not hard enough for gunsmith work as the tips will mushroom :
8 Piece Pin Punch Set

Punch with a indent in the bottom sounds like a nail set?
If it is, it is to soft

After googling it, it does sound like a drift punch..which is now obvious to be the wrong type (the indent was there when it was bought). These are the ones I bought but am taking back to get a bigger set with smaller sizes <broken link removed>

I got a pin punch set. The leaf sight pin came right out. The other pins however are not moving at all. So frustrating. Does anyone know if wd40 or heat helps? The small pin punch is bending (1/16), the next size is like the exact size..a little big almost (1/8) isnt working

Ill probably order a 3/32 punch (didn't see one in home depot or lowes) but im getting discouraged. I would buy a mount that uses the base (and drill an extra support) but don't want to spend another $100 on this rifle when 50 could work

Is there a way to delete threads? I can't find how. Decided im going to heat it up (read some pins have a little solder) & trying one more time. If that doesn't work im done and the leaf sight is going back on. Only brand new guns in my future lol although when it works out its rewarding but man has this guns been a pita

yeah mine had the same problem. It sure enough was sodered pretty good. make sure to take the stock off and hit it with the torch. less than 30 seconds was all I needed for mine. I tried the 3/8 inch dovetail idea but had problems with the rings moving forward with the recoil no matter how tight i got them. Ordered a "BrassStacker" mount and it is great. All steel made in america and you can put beefy/normal rings on your scope.Now it shoots darts.
DO NOT BUY A CHEAPO $30 ALUMINUM MOUNT!!!!! THE BRASS STACKER IS ONLY $50.
Alternate method is to grind out little half moons where the pins go in on your rimfire rings, so when you put the pins in, they hold the scope rings in place as well.

Ordered a "BrassStacker" mount and it is great. All steel made in america and you can put l.

This mount is exactly what I am looking for!

LOL in my excitement I forgot to say thank you. I'd been looking at putting a scope on the dovetail, but didn't like the fact that I lose the sight itself. I am making my own scout rifle and want the irons to fall back on. This looks like the perfect solution.

<broken link removed>