Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin Nagant Help

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RVTECH, Jun 2, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

My daughter's boyfriend is getting interested in guns and I am going to start helping him out, taking him shooting etc., and he bought a M-N on his own. No doubt he will be looking to me for his initial help with it IE shooting it, maintenance & other issues but the problem is I don't know Jack about them! I have a good background with a wide variety of guns (even ones I have never owned) except them. If someone could direct me to a good online resource where I can educate myself about them I would appreciate it. Seems to be a lot of M-N owners with good reports about them.
    Thanks.

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

7.62x54r.net, mosinnagant.net, Gunboards.com

Keith

3. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

Mosin Nagant Models to start and then click
    7.62x54r.net great place to learn just about all of the mosins then as Keith said mosinnagant.net, Gunboards.com

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Mine prefer steel core silvertip ammo.. 2 MOA with scout scope

5. dracozny

dracozny Oregon Member

best advice I can give you is clean the piss out of it. pretty much all of the x54r is corrosive.

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  6. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

And that would be overkill. Yes, it needs to be cleaned after shooting. No, it doesn't need to be done right away but don't leave it for days. Yes, it needs to be rinsed with water to remove the corrosive salts that are left due to their creation by the gases the primers emit during ignition. Hot water is best as it dissolves the salts better/faster. Then clean as any normal rifle.

7. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Pretty much all SURPLUS is corrosive. I've been shooting Winchester out of mine, brand new ammunition, non-corrosive and boxer primed. I've ran some S&B non-corrosive through it as well. Strange to say, but while in my possession I've never shot any corrosive ammo through it.

8. Blitzkrieg

Hot water with hand dish detergent. I do this at the range from a thermos, and then spray penetrant oil down the bore until I can get home to truly clean it

9. dracozny

dracozny Oregon Member

I don't think my remark was overkill in the slightest. I used to think I cleaned my CZ-52 effectively after using corrosive ammo. recently noticed a considerable amount of pitting, to the point of purchasing a replacement barrel for it.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Get a Mojo peep sight for it to shrink groups. They work great and eliminate the need for a front sight pusher.

11. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Chemistry. Because this says it best I'll quote this post from another forum:

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Corrosive ammo. What's with the water?

12. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

worked around acids for a few years, won't baking soda and hot water do more to neutralize acid residue?

13. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Who said anything about acid? Potassium chloride is the salt you're trying to get rid of. It's neutral on the PH scale, so water is all you need.

14. micdude

micdude EDMONDS Member

Hot Water Works for me :thumbup:

Works on all of mine and I just shoot surplus ammo...

u_zps4c0d55dd.jpg

u_zps4c0d55dd.jpg

15. Blitzkrieg

I run a bore brush thru with each flush from the thermos.. I do this will all corrosive ammo, no matter what the weapon is. Never had rust in 24 years

16. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I pee on mine and do the anti corrosion dance:bananadance:

17. Blitzkrieg

Just don't whiz on the electric fence