JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter's boyfriend is getting interested in guns and I am going to start helping him out, taking him shooting etc., and he bought a M-N on his own. No doubt he will be looking to me for his initial help with it IE shooting it, maintenance & other issues but the problem is I don't know Jack about them! I have a good background with a wide variety of guns (even ones I have never owned) except them. If someone could direct me to a good online resource where I can educate myself about them I would appreciate it. Seems to be a lot of M-N owners with good reports about them.
Thanks.

best advice I can give you is clean the piss out of it. pretty much all of the x54r is corrosive.
And that would be overkill. Yes, it needs to be cleaned after shooting. No, it doesn't need to be done right away but don't leave it for days. Yes, it needs to be rinsed with water to remove the corrosive salts that are left due to their creation by the gases the primers emit during ignition. Hot water is best as it dissolves the salts better/faster. Then clean as any normal rifle.

best advice I can give you is clean the piss out of it. pretty much all of the x54r is corrosive.

Pretty much all SURPLUS is corrosive. I've been shooting Winchester out of mine, brand new ammunition, non-corrosive and boxer primed. I've ran some S&B non-corrosive through it as well. Strange to say, but while in my possession I've never shot any corrosive ammo through it.

Hot water with hand dish detergent. I do this at the range from a thermos, and then spray penetrant oil down the bore until I can get home to truly clean it

And that would be overkill. Yes, it needs to be cleaned after shooting. No, it doesn't need to be done right away but don't leave it for days. Yes, it needs to be rinsed with water to remove the corrosive salts that are left due to their creation by the gases the primers emit during ignition. Hot water is best as it dissolves the salts better/faster. Then clean as any normal rifle.
I don't think my remark was overkill in the slightest. I used to think I cleaned my CZ-52 effectively after using corrosive ammo. recently noticed a considerable amount of pitting, to the point of purchasing a replacement barrel for it.

I don't think my remark was overkill in the slightest. I used to think I cleaned my CZ-52 effectively after using corrosive ammo. recently noticed a considerable amount of pitting, to the point of purchasing a replacement barrel for it.

Chemistry. Because this says it best I'll quote this post from another forum:

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - View Single Post - Corrosive ammo. What's with the water?
The ammonia in windex doesn't do much of anything other than dissolve the oils that might be covering the corrosive salts from water.

<labcoat and pocket protector on>
What happens when a corrosive primer is lit off:
The active ingredient in a corrosive (non mercuric) primer is potassium chlorate. (KCl3 in lab geek speak)

When you light it off, one of the potassium-chlorine bonds is broken, releasing energy. This energy is what makes the fire that lights off the powder.

What is left over is potassium chloride, it sounds sort of familiar because it's the same chemical as salt substitute for people with high sodium level in their blood.

It has a very similar makeup to table salt(sodium chloride) except that the sodium is replaced with a potassium. This potassium-chlorine molecule deposits in the bore as a salt crystal, which behaves very much like a regular table salt crystal. It absorbs water, holds it against the steel, and creates a galvanic cell.(this is the electro chem part of college chem 2 that you probably slept through, it's boring) This causes rust, just like any other piece of steel/iron/etc exposed to salt water, or any other water with dissolved stuff in it like sea water.

That said, the potassium chloride is very soluble in water (even more so in hot water), which is why the water bath is suggested to remove it. (windex is just ammonia with water and a few other items, the active ingredient here is actually the water) Pour some water over the metal coated in potassium chloride, and the salts dissolve, leaving bare metal. Dry it and run some oil over, and you're good to go.

For you guys using other "ammonia" solutions, you're really using something that is mostly water with a bit of ammonia added to it. Again, the water is the active ingredient, but the ammonia helps break up oils and such that could be covering the salts. Not a bad way to do it, but in the bore, there isn't going to be much, if any oil to break up.

<lab coat and pocket protector back in the closet>

I run a bore brush thru with each flush from the thermos.. I do this will all corrosive ammo, no matter what the weapon is. Never had rust in 24 years

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top