JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up my first mosin nagant m91/30 1942 from Crossroads arms here in vancouver. First, nothing but good things to say about Joe. Experience was quick and hassle free. Now onto the stock. I have been googling everything about removing cosmoline but I figured I would ask here because I like seeing new threads to read as well as wanting information from locals who understand a sunny day isn't something I can wait for lol. I was wondering if anyone had ways of removing cosmoline that's apartment friendly/weather friendly. Ive seen the EZ bake oven designs but that isn't really practical for me. I was wondering if a heat gun would do the trick or something like it? I checked walmart and their heat guns only have like 2 settings 750 degrees f or 1000 degrees f. I read that the melting point is only 130-150, somewhere in there. That makes me think the heat gun would be too hot and would cook the cosmoline. Are there anyways of removing cosmoline from the stock other than trashbag and sunny day/ez bake oven/oven/dish washer? Or does anybody do this regularly in the area with a self made ez bake and want to make a few bucks? Lol id rather do it myself if possible though, after all that's half the experience. Any information helps, thanks!

Also, anyone have any luck with the ati monte carlo stocks? Seems it takes a lot of work and sometimes fits loose.

I use an old two setting blow dryer that my wife was going to drop on goodwill.
It will take you several go rounds on the high setting, but it will do the job.
Heat the stock up in sections, wipe it clean.
Repeat and repeat... till you are happy.

I also use a heatgun, just be careful and all is good.

So, since we are on the subject, I am under the impression the cosmoline has soaked into the wood of the stock? If this is correct, doesn't soap and water just remove the surface layer? Also, I am not looking to strip the stock at this point, so what route should I take? I am under the impression to just clean it well enough to remove the excess cosmoline, but I don't need to go as far as stripping it and sweating it out, correct?

I've done this successfully on many a WWI/WWII restoration projects. BOIL, the stock in hot water. It melts and leeches out comsoline that has permeated throughout and inside the wood. Let dry for about a week or so. Then re-moisturize the wood with your favorite wood/oil treatment. Refinish and enjoy shooting.

If you have any dents in the stock, lay a wet towel on it, and put a hot flat iron to it, preferably with steam setting on high. This will help pull up minor handling dings and dents.

The problem I have with cosmoline soaked wood (internally) is that I found that it weakens the wood, especially at the thinnest junction between the receiver and the stock. I've had several Enfields split on me this way. I've never had that problem since.

Not sure how you'd easily find a container large enough to boil a Mosin stock in, but the oven bake method will work quite easily. Simply place the stock inside a couple large paper bags (one bag over the butt end of the stock, the other over the front end so they overlap). Then roll the bags around the stock, and place in the oven on the lowest temperature setting. The cosmoline will sweat out of the stock this way. Remove the stock from the bags and wipe off the cosmo that has sweat out. You may need to do this several times. Took me three times wiping it down before it finally stopped oozing out of the stock.

Tried a little bit of boiling water and soap and it seemed to remove a spot of finish so I stopped. house heater worked ok but I have a massive headache lol (no more indoors for me..but don't have any other space really) needless to say I wish it was summer time. anybody add an ati stock? Was fitting it that difficult? Thanks

I've done this successfully on many a WWI/WWII restoration projects. BOIL, the stock in hot water. It melts and leeches out comsoline that has permeated throughout and inside the wood. Let dry for about a week or so. Then re-moisturize the wood with your favorite wood/oil treatment. Refinish and enjoy shooting.

If you have any dents in the stock, lay a wet towel on it, and put a hot flat iron to it, preferably with steam setting on high. This will help pull up minor handling dings and dents.

The problem I have with cosmoline soaked wood (internally) is that I found that it weakens the wood, especially at the thinnest junction between the receiver and the stock. I've had several Enfields split on me this way. I've never had that problem since.

FYI: In answer to the 'Container' question, I have used either:

• (Outdoor) 55 gallon drum cut in half with a turkey burner/Wood fire as a heat source
  • (Indoor) Water filled bathtub, windows open, fans running, with boiling water being evenly and continually doused on the stock

*NOTE: Once you leech cosmoline out of the stock, expect the finish to disappear. You will have to re-moisturize and refinish the wood. Most WWI/WWII stock are oil finished and not necessarily weather sealed, so don't feel bad. Your stock wood will look a little "Grey" when it has been de-cosmolinized.

A lot of the old stocks were finished with nothing but Linseed oil.
If I have one start to lose it's color I then experment with two small areas.
One I apply a mixture of 2/3 "Unboiled" linseed oil and 1/3 paint thinner and.
To the other spot I apply quality Tung oil.

* when using these always wipe the excess off and dispose of the rags properly. Linseed and thinner mixed on a rag will self combust in time in the right conditions.