JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't want to 'jack the thread or restate already posted information overly much...but;

Windex is a myth.

The corrosive ammo leaves ammonium salt deposits in the bore. The salt attracts moisture, thus promoting rust. The point is to clean out the salts by dissolving them. Windex is ammonia and water, why add more ammonia? Rinse the bore with boiling water, your solvent of choice, and then oil. I have a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 that I've moved from Windexing to the boiling water and personally attest that the water does a much better job. I have to pass the brush through 10 times instead of 50 to clean it out.

Can you tell me the specific ammonium based compound used in the primers? I'm curious because I know of only two primer compounds off the top of my head and neither were ammonia based.

Household ammonia will remove copper which is laid down in between corrosive salts when the gun is fired.

Can you tell me the specific ammonium based compound used in the primers? I'm curious because I know of only two primer compounds off the top of my head and neither were ammonia based.

Household ammonia will remove copper which is laid down in between corrosive salts when the gun is fired.

That's a great question. I'll see if I can hunt up the original source of that info where I saw it. Ugh...that was ages ago.

This is a standard argument between the Mosinites and me, I have 3 mosins and have helped 3 other new owners of big 5 mosins, and based on these 6, and discussions of mosin accuracy with other people at my gun club, in no cases do any of them shoot better and more consistently than my cheap savage mark 2, 22lr at 100 yards. 8 moa is an estimate of the consistency you can expect out of a Mosin, and not a statement of the best group you can expect from one. Heck, I have one that shoots the first cold shot with amazing accuracy and then drifts off into chaos.

Maybe someday I'll see the legendary good shooting Mosin firsthand, but even then your odds of getting one at big 5 seem slight!

Also, I did say some good things about Mosin's, but the Mosinites will never say anything bad about them, this is the sort of lack of objectivity of a cult.

Ah hah!

Found the information. I'll also correct my original comment.

Turns out that it's mercuric salts, not ammonium. The issue is using the ammonia based Windex, because the ammonia attracts the moisture.

So, with that information stated, the true process should be using boiling water to dissolve the salts and NOT using an ammonia based cleaner because it will promote rust if you don't also use boiling water to clean out the cleaner! Talk about convoluted.

The process was right, just not the causal information.

I don't want to 'jack the thread or restate already posted information overly much...but;

Windex is a myth.

The corrosive ammo leaves ammonium salt deposits in the bore. The salt attracts moisture, thus promoting rust. The point is to clean out the salts by dissolving them. Windex is ammonia and water, why add more ammonia? Rinse the bore with boiling water, your solvent of choice, and then oil. I have a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 that I've moved from Windexing to the boiling water and personally attest that the water does a much better job. I have to pass the brush through 10 times instead of 50 to clean it out.

Soap and water is just fine. No problem. But so is an ammonia based cleaner like Windex.

The myth that most people espouse about ammonia is that somehow it will 'neutralize' the salts, and that just isn't true. The ammonia in a Windex-type cleaner will actually dissolve copper deposits that might be hiding more salts trapped in pores or scratches underneath the copper. Regular soap and water will not remove these embedded deposits if the copper is covering them.

Keith

Ah hah!

Turns out that it's mercuric salts.

Mercuric salts? Unless a fellow is shooting century old ammo, there will be no more mercuric salts encountered from shooting corrosive ammo. Mercuric primers were actually a holdover from the black powder days. For nearly a century, the residue left after shooting corrosive ammo will be calcium chloride.

Admittedly, it is a tricky subject, with alot of inaccurate information out there.

Keith

wouldnt be a bad idea to remove the stock and handguard, put them in a plastic bag in a warm dry place, like in the sun, and see how much cosmoline sweats from the stock. because it will ooze and ooze as it heats up from shooting.

Anyone know the importer for the ones from Big-5?

I would presume it is still Century. The one I got there a few years ago was, as were the others I've looked at from time to time since. In WA a few months ago, I found that they had ruined a perfectly good 1928 hex receivered Mosin by putting a PU scope on it. A fantasy rifle if there ever was.

Keith

<broken link removed>

Couple the 99 dollar deal with this coupon and its a real deal!
that's how I get mine when or if I want to look at them instead of ordering from the C&R dealers at 69 to 79 bucks...but then shipping is involved.

If anyone can confirm the importer marks, it would be appreciated.

CAI, is what I just confirmed on mine and is what was expected...the others are a bit more rare and don't throw a bill board on the side of the receiver, some put them on the barrel underneath the site area..
would be nice if they actually took the time to lift the receiver out and do it on the belly!

I do this rather avidly lately...is there any other active importers?

Found a great video on it.
YouTube - Mosin Nagant
I really like Hickock he seems so much like real people and the kind of people I hang with...
but this particular one he probably needed to do a bit more research on before he released this video.
but I am very glad he did it, and I will glean what I can he is also a Cowboy action shooter and I believe he teaches too..
He also has a video that is fun to watch ..
YouTube - Steve Lee visits the Hickok45 Compound :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads