JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my first gun is going to be a mosin 1891, but not the 91/30. So this is the 51" long rifle. I was wondering if it could handle the historical mosin sniper scope or not. Everything I have found so far has been for the 91/30.

The scope requires a mounting base that you won't find on a standard M91/30. But in theory you can add it. But I wouldn't.

The scope isn't great - the eye relief and chin weld are the problem. I've got one of the recent authentic WWII-era PU snipers and have a very difficult time getting consistent groups. And yes I'm using all of the tricks - shimmed/free floated/wrapped the barrel, tightened everything well, using the 200g Match Extra (orange box) ammo. Sometimes I get a nice tight 4 but there's always a flier in each group of 5. I can't tune it out. Next step is handloads. Just slugged the barrel yesterday and it was a fairly loose .312. I've got 174g Hornady .312 HPBT Match bullets I'm going to put into some once-fired PPU brass. I've got some nice neck-sizing dies so I won't be reforming the once-fired bass. If I can't get the flier out with these handloads, then I'm going to give up and say it's the stupid cheek weld. I was lucky and happened to find one of the new MagnetoSpeed Sporter chronographs so I should be able to get really good data for the handload tuning.

Thirtycal

Last Edited:
PU cheek weld...if you are a righty, shoulder the rifle, lean your head to the right, put your right cheek on the stock and put your left eye to the scope. Opposite is you are a lefty. This is also a very effective technique if you are cross eye dominant.

OP-don't bother mucking up a M91, there are fewer and fewer every year. There are plenty of reproduction PUs to be found, or just enjoy it as it is and shoot it open sighted.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads