JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've successfully resuscitated two rifles with rusty bores that have proved to be excellent shooters. It is the general opinion of those who shoot military rifles that pitted bores do not necessarily mean poor performance. I must clarify that I bought both rifles only because they appeared to have been fired once with corrosive ammo and then put away without cleaning, so the bores stood a good chance of remaining relatively intact.
I probably wouldn't take a chance with a rifle that appears to have been neglected over long periods of time.

With mine, I used a brush soaked in bore cleaner to remove the major crud. Then ran a patch soaked in bore cleaner back and forth a few times to get the bore really wet and let it soak overnight. More brushing and more soaking repeated over a few days and I've wound up with shiny bores that shoot rather well.

Keith

I once had to clean a black powder rifle that had been stored loaded! you can imagine the amount of decay. The barrel looked like a sewer pipe, so I plugged the muzzle so no liquid could escape and filled it with white vinegar. I left it standing upright for 5 days, when I removed the plug it was like I pored out a old can filled with water, just red rusty filth. I was then able to see the pits and the lead ball , witch was now lose. This will also work on anything rusty that can be submerged . Warning it will remove blueing, but not instantly. Rinse with water dry it in oven and oil it. Viola! Thats what I did , It works.

Try it it will amaze you to what will come out of that barrel. ide give it 5-7 days, 1 gal is a buck . the bore will be metallic again and you will really be able to see how extensive the piting is. 80 dollar rifles worth a try.

I have had a couple that I thought were hopeless. After doing some research I electrically cleaned them, all it takes is a low voltage transformer like you would use for a cell phone or other electronic device. A steel rod, some shrink tubing to fit over the rod and isolate it from the bore, a rubber stopper to hold the electrolyte in the bore (chamber end) and a water vinegar solution (or windex). I used binder clips from my desk drawer to hold the wires in place. put it all together and a bore can be spotless in no time (4-8hours).

I can put a setup together at ace hardware for less than 10 bucks.

The other plus is you don't put more wear on the bore trying to clean it.

I think you made a sound purchase. Mosins are solid and reliable, and the M38 is the most handy of them all. Mine was acquired a decade ago at Big-5. It was cheap, and probably worse off than yours: roughly finished wartime production, counter-bored, external pits under the hand-guard, a crack in the magazine (the black paint was there, that's what the Russians pass off as "arsenal refinishing"), and red gunk and preservative in the chamber. I used an AR-10 chamber brush to clean the chamber and lug recesses, scrubbed the bore with every imaginable combination of solvents, pastes and boiling water. It was a hopeless cause, or so I thought until I took it out and shot it. I, like yourself, had little hopes of it being a shooter, just a cheap gun to leave in the trunk until it was needed, so I pessimistically set my target at 50 yards. I aimed, squeezed through that long trigger pull and... punched a hole dead center through the target. The next 4 rounds all clustered within 1.5" of the first. I set up some water-filled milk jugs at the 200 yard line. Five hits with five shots. I like my ugly duckling. I put it in an ATI Mosin stock with a decent shooting sling. If I ever decide it's worth the effort, I may cover up those pits with some Aluma-Hyde. If in doubt, have it checked by all means, but don't judge it until you shoot it! You may become even more attached than you are now!

Electrolytic method is very good, can be overdone though, as anything else. Aside for that, we had great success with manual transmission fluid that was used in Ural army trucks in Soviet Army decades ago. I do not know the chemical make-up of it, but trying regular Dex/Merc would not hurt at all. I would flush the vinegar thoroughly, as it is corrosive - akin to fighting forest fires with a controlled fire.

Alright! im glad that worked for you, Its really amazing how it eats that garb up, breaks the rust free from the steel. I thought you'd like that!

Vinegar cleans because it's a mild acid. It well remove bluing if not careful.

Electrolysis tank is the safest way to de-rust I have used, no harm to the underlying finish.

receiver.jpg
receiverafter.jpg

A friend of mine had an old Eddystone -06 that had been shortened and recrowned, but had a very rusty bore that was full of pits inside. It's accuracy was atrocious to say the least. After a vigorous scrubbing, I wrapped some 4-0 steel wool into a bore brush and began working the bore. I added a little more after several passes until I had a snug fit and then went to work. It came out very acceptable and shot well enough to be a good 100 yard unit that grouped around 2" with open sights. It worked on a rifle that was destined for the scrap heap, and now hunts blacktail and rosies down on the coast.

As a side note, I made up an electronic bore cleaner much like the one mentioned earlier, using simple flashlight batteries, a steel rod, and wire and the results were very good. Do a google search on (homemade electronic rifle bore cleaner) there many examples. Keep to a simpler design, some get very extravagant.