JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As to the chambering problem, clean the chamber.

Put a couple cleaning patches, wet with Hoppe's, or better Ed's Red, in the chamber and let them soak overnight. Then take a .45acp bore brush on the end of a cleaning rod, chuck it into a drill, soak it in bore cleaner and drill the brush into the chamber throat repeatedly (from the rear of the action). That will clean any muck out of it. That should cure the malady and relieve the symptom.

As to the recoil, there is a line in the movie The 13th Warrior (excellent movie!) that goes:

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: [given a Viking sword] "I cannot lift this."

Herger the Joyous: "Grow stronger."

Learn to shoot the Mosin without training wheels. It's what a real rifle feels like. Once you master the Mosin, you have mastered them all. It is a skill and a mindset well worth cultivating. Our fathers and their fathers before them did. You are surely no less than they.

Crutches are for cripples.

As to the chambering problem, clean the chamber.

Put a couple cleaning patches, wet with Hoppe's, or better Ed's Red, in the chamber and let them soak overnight. Then take a .45acp bore brush on the end of a cleaning rod, chuck it into a drill, soak it in bore cleaner and drill the brush into the chamber throat repeatedly (from the rear of the action). That will clean any muck out of it. That should cure the malady and relieve the symptom.

As to the recoil, there is a line in the movie The 13th Warrior (excellent movie!) that goes:

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: [given a Viking sword] "I cannot lift this."

Herger the Joyous: "Grow stronger."

Learn to shoot the Mosin without training wheels. It's what a real rifle feels like. Once you master the Mosin, you have mastered them all. It is a skill and a mindset well worth cultivating. Our fathers and their fathers before them did. You are surely no less than they.

Crutches are for cripples.

Grow stronger or grow more fat in the shoulder. :)

I'm sorry, but if a Mosin proves to have too much kick you need to rethink your hobby.
I have multiple Mosins, both full size 91/30 and M44, both are pussycats compared to any modern 30 caliber hunting rifle above a 308...

Nothing like a little thread necromancy to bring back a topic from the dead ;)

:s0126::s0127::s0128:
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself first thing this morning lol.

My .308 kicks plenty for me. I imagine I'll get into the bigger stuff someday - I figure everyone should have at least one mossin and an elephant gun of some type, well just cuz 'Merica!!!

:s0126::s0127::s0128:
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself first thing this morning lol.

My .308 kicks plenty for me. I imagine I'll get into the bigger stuff someday - I figure everyone should have at least one mossin and an elephant gun of some type, well just cuz 'Merica!!!

You're right, deepest apologies :(

Allow me to elaborate: Mosin kick for the win!!

One of the other things I've run across is where the rear off the bolt cams on the bolt sleeve being rough on many of them. A little bit of polishing on those 2 mating surfaces will help quite a bit, as well as double checking the for the extractor issues mentioned before. Especially the crud underneath the extractor. I had a M38 that drove me crazy trying to get it to close nice and finally after trying most everything I could think of I finally completely stripped the bolt only to find not only some very hard casmoline under the extractor but a small chunk of something resembling either a tiny rock or balled up hardened ball of sand all jamed up jammed under it making the extractor all out of whack on closing. Ya for sure something stupid simple, I know, but if I hadn't stripped the bolt completely down , I'd probably never have figured it out.

I'd even done machinist dye and coated all the surfaces cycling it many many times trying to figure out just what was making it bind. I polished every place that seemed to be making hard contact,,and all along my issue was just because of the little ball of crud under the extractor causing the problem ! Gezz who'd a thunk it??

You'd think with the generous tolerances on the Mossins something as simple as that would have never cause an issue! But it sure did!!! Lots of those that got shot without proper cleaning first I've had to do a major soaking and super cleaning on . Man once that cosmo heats up from firing and hardens like a rock ,,it's a bear to get out!!

I know they kick a bit,,but if the recoil on those bother you that bad with one. , I'd hate to have let you shoot the 500 Nitro Express I used to have ! It was a side by H&H beauty.

Now that mother KICKED!! I'm around 180ish and that thing would set me back into next week if I didn't paying attention!!! For Sure!! It was a hand full and kinda sounded like loading a howitzer when you slid a round down the pipe!!! Ca-chunk!!! The report was pretty respectible too, you think a Mossin's loud,,Ha!!! Think again, you could literally feel the concussion in your gut when you touched it off!! Impressive!

I had to end up selling it though, not necessarily, just, because of recoil so much as the cost of ammo for it,,Good Lord, it was running about 200 bucks for a box of 20 back when I sold it 5-6 years ago, and that was the "lower end" stuff!

You can shoot a 50 Barrett for almost half that price and gotten WAY BETTER performance! And what I sold the H&H for I could have probably bought 2-3 Barretts and a pile of ammo besides at the time. I paid off my house early instead! A better call IMHO!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top