JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We finally machined the 80% AR10. Turns out the fire/safety detent hole is drilled at an angle preventing the fire/safe selector switch from operating correctly. We drilled the selector switch hole in the jig (EasyJIg Gen2) and it's perfect.
The fire/safe detent hole from the mfg is drilled at an angle preventing the detent pin from engaging the fire/safety switch in the correct position.

I called and subsequently 'sent' images to Moriarti Armaments advising them of the issue. (I even included my BANK PAYMENT) Now they're telling me they won't exchange it because it's been machined. That would be ok except, there's no way to know the detent hole was/is drilled wrong from the mfg until the fire/safety hole is drilled.
Unless I'm missing something like my Xray vision?

Here's the conversation.. & the images I sent them.
No "management/higher ups" ever called or contacted me.

1. after speaking with management, we cannot swap the upper after it has been drilled and if the issue is the jig you would have to contact new frontier armory which are the makers of the jig. On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 1:19 AM​

2.hello dan we did read the letter and it was a typo on our end. management has been informed and they will be in touch with you soon.​
On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 1:40 PM

3.no problem at all we will solve this as soon as possible for you thank you for your patience. On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 2:16 PM, Dan wrote: Thank you, I really appreciate it.​

4.I have been told by the higher ups "we can only take unmilled lower back. if there was any work done, we can't take it back. needs to be checked prior drilling. that's 80% lower"​
On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM​

The image with the green paper is my lower with a drill bit in the detent hole. The other is the same drill bit in the defective lower that Moriarti Armaments apparently wants not to replace.
The last image is the defective lower in the jig showing a clean aligned hole for the safety selector switch.

IMG_7550.JPG IMG_7551.JPG IMG_7545.JPG

Doing a quick google search shows they have less than stellar quality…. Quite a few people have issues with their products. Hopefully it didn't cost much.

They probably won't take it back since it is now a firearm and they may not be set up for that.
Unsure how that works due to a mfg defect. But even so, replace the part? They can supply a replacement with no liability issues.
Doing a quick google search shows they have less than stellar quality…. Quite a few people have issues with their products. Hopefully it didn't cost much.
It cost more then it's worth at the moment. But I HATE it when any company won't stand behind their product. I was warned about them after I purchased but it was to late. I guess a small claims court is in order. They can or could be decent about this but I'm guessing they have no intention or interest in doing so given their responses todate.

I'll give them a chance to make it right but then...hmm

Dan

Unsure how that works due to a mfg defect. But even so, replace the part? They can supply a replacement with no liability issues.

It cost more then it's worth at the moment. But I HATE it when any company won't stand behind their product. I was warned about them after I purchased but it was to late. I guess a small claims court is in order. They can or could be decent about this but I'm guessing they have no intention or interest in doing so given their responses todate.

I'll give them a chance to make it right but then...hmm

Dan
Sadly customer service across the board is in the toilet. I stay loyal and will pay a premium for the companies that I can trust. I hate it when stuff like this happens though. Hopefully it gets resolved.

I had this same exact problem with my first AR-10, I wound up getting an RGA & returning it-- then the company refused to refund my money or provide me with another 80% AR-10 lower. I finally did a charge-back through my credit card and wound up with a refund for my whole order (over $200) so I was delighted

I'm no expert, but resizing and adjusting rotation on the 2 photos to match and overlaying them as transparencies... it "does" appear that the holes are misaligned between the 2.. ever so slightly. The outer dimensions, sculpting and such all match up identically, as do the drill bits used to show the hole alignment, but the one... the hole is misaligned to the left of the other "good" one. Putting the detent hole off center.

I use an easy jig gen2 as well, but I haven't done an AR10 on it. Without digging my own out, I dunno exactly what would do that... lower plates oriented incorrectly(?) Something with the lower that didn't allow the threaded chuck to seat properly and pulled/pushed it slightly out of proper front/back alignement(?) Although, that would be more difficult since the cross pins wouldn't have aligned properly either.

Dunno, but something does appear to be off. Using the selector holes between the two as an alignment point, run a dowel through both of them and see how the bodies align with each other might be telling(?)

Doesn't help anything, I know. What's done is done but if there was some other issue at play you probably want to identify it and avoid a possible repeat on the next one, right? ;)

On Edit: I shoulda saved the overlay, hu? ;) Just eyeballing the photos something looked a bit off so I was just checking for my own curiosity and didn't think about saving it for later. Here's a "down and dirty" re-version.

1656500847178.png

"Left" shows both for alignment and matching. "Right" shows maintaining alignment and simply lowering the overlay to reveal the orginal "good" lowers selector hole. The external aluminum ring slightly obscures the hole edges, but the box is placed on the actual rim and still fairly obvious.

Not perfect, and helpful or not, I dunno.

Last Edited:
If your ability to shoot straight on photos is as good as your drilling...

Sorry, just poking fun. Your images are not photographed from the same angle and distance and you're asking us to judge a minute detail. I trust what you're saying, but your images are not "proving" it to me. Put the camera in a vice/jig/tripod/whatever along with the object so that you can get two perfect overlaying images.

I've built & helped others build more then a few 80% lowers and never had this happen before. If I measure the hole distance from the bottom, (ie: the entry point of the hole) where the mfg. drilled them from, the dimensions are virtually exact. Something like being off by maybe .001 or less.

That detent hole is SUPPOSED to be dead center of the hole @ the bottom where the selector switch goes through. It's not. It's offset towards the front of the weapon. That offset shows in all 3 images. More so with the drill bit pushed all the way thru.
The problem being the detent hole was drilled crooked and it came that way by the MFG.
NOTE: we tried 3 different selector switches with the same bad results.

I just want Moriarti Armaments to replace it. I'll even send this one back if they want. I wouldn't put it past them to drag their feet and then say they can't ship a new one because the 'new Washington law' makes it illegal.

Dan

IMG_7554.JPG IMG_7556.JPG wrong 2.jpg

The problem being the detent hole was drilled crooked and it came that way by the MFG.
It may just be an optical illusion between the 2 photos (one showing proper hole placement and detent hole alignment + the one that is not), however, it "appears" that the drill bits in the detent holes between the 2 lowers are perfectly oriented and aligned with each other. Indicating that the detent hole was drilled correctly by the mfg, but that the selector switch hole was drilled slightly back and out of spec from where it should be.

If that's true, then it doesn't change anything anyway. The receiver is still unusable, however, it may indicate an issue with the easy jig setup that should be explored before attemptnig to mill another lower. Reproducing the same error on another lower would be no fun at all. ;)

Mfg or user error though, them replacing it seems moot. They seem to have chosen to apply their warranty exclusion and WA state prohibition laws so... unfortunately, not many options remain.

That easy jig has built 5 AR10's with no issues until this lower. The 3 pics are the same defective lower.
Lower is to old to warranty....

Dan

Last Edited:
Is there any way to get it to work? Modifying the selector?

Just in case the manufacturer decides not to play ball.

Is there any way to get it to work? Modifying the selector?

Just in case the manufacturer decides not to play ball.
Nope. It's junk now. Maybe I should send it to buttttt-wipe bob or jack a@sssss jay. You know, turn it it for safety... :rolleyes:

Dan

There are a couple options you can try. 1. Elftmann push button safety. 2. Drill and sleeve. KE Arms makes a single diameter detent instead of the standard stepped detent. Pic below for a general idea:
3s1nNYWl.jpg

I'm thinking about stuffing an aluminium pin in the hole & redrilling. I have the equipment, material & time. It wouldnt be the 1st time I've had to mfg something to correct a mistake.

Dan

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top