JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NEWINGTON — Gun laws in Connecticut have gone through drastic changes in recent years, with another series of new regulations up for debate at the state capitol. Amid those debates a new trend is emerging in which a growing number of women are becoming gun owners.

The Connecticut's Citizen's Defense League told FOX61 they have a total of 27,000 members who own firearms, roughly 5,400 of those members are women, and that the majority of their women members joined in just the last four years.

"There's definitely an ever growing rate of women shooters, we see it, its apparent here in the store," Peter McClusky, sales manager of Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington, said. He went on to say, "In the industry the rate of women that are getting involved competition shooting that kind of stuff definitely going up there in numbers."

When it comes to gun ownership, the numbers show the gender gap is shrunk by roughly 20 percent between 1990 and 2014, according to the independent research organization, NORC at the University of Chicago.

Read More: More women owning guns; What's triggering the change?

All you have to do is watch the news to know why anyone, male or female, owns a gun.
Which I don't by the way. News is not news. It's become a body count.
I've owned and carried since 1967.
Mostly because people are why I love my dogs so much.

For women AND men, a few very obvious factors help explain recent gun sales trends that all encompass some element of fear:

- Porous borders with zero meaningful scrutiny/enforcement. MS13 (et al) is not an imaginary grumpy troll hiding under a fairy tale bridge.

- Open invitations to populate refugee havens - inclusive of an arguably small percentage radical terrorist riff-raff intent upon the destruction of all western culture. Kumbaya baby.

- And the disease from within. Hypocritical vote-whores in Salem, DC and everywhere relentlessly chipping away at 2A private gun ownership by proposing and passing an incremental but endless avalanche of rules, restrictions and barriers that will eventually add up to a de facto ban on (legally) acquiring new or used firearms. Next will come ownership. Bit by bit, starting with specific items. Just like the trail being VERY effectively blazed in California.

Will #3 above all happen overnight? No. And that's the problem. Is it the ultimate left political agenda? Don't doubt it for a moment. Oregon is a tolerant, compliant ostrich with its head stuck in the sand.

Get 'em while you still can.

Last Edited:
I think people from all walks, women and men alike are smart enough to read the news accounts of attacks, rapes, murders - one bug thing in common, the police arrive AFTER the deed is done. Big brother can't protect you, no matter how much they promise - as we all know well enough here on NWFA, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I like that folks are starting to awake to their own personal responsibility when it comes to safety. I think it's a positive sign of better things to come.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top