JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of them don't even know shooting soda cans is illegal, and that's just too hard for some to comprehend as true,

That's because things that make no sense are hard to comprehend for a lot of people.

I'm glad to see that officers are not ticketing people shooting full pop cans. Now, if they could prove that they left them behind, then a ticket is in order.

That's because things that make no sense are hard to comprehend for a lot of people.

I'm glad to see that officers are not ticketing people shooting full pop cans. Now, if they could prove that they left them behind, then a ticket is in order.
I agree it makes no sense but its the understanding of why it is that people need to consider. The soda can analogy was just a simple example of what I was trying to say... many of these people are doing much worst and are clueless to why its illegal. Look at all the trees shot down, and targets placed on top of backstops and ask why anyone would even begin to think that is a good idea.... now try reasoning with someone like that, especially caught in the act.

soda cans should never be illegal to target shoot, and if I see anyone doing it I will never say anything... I only care if they leave them behind.

I'm sure that the logic about allowing only paper targets, is that a few good rains and some time will take care of the leftovers. Cans, plastic, glass, etc... not so much. Of course, that's assuming that the people leaving things behind are following some sort of rules to begin with.

I'm sure that the logic about allowing only paper targets, is that a few good rains and some time will take care of the leftovers. Cans, plastic, glass, etc... not so much. Of course, that's assuming that the people leaving things behind are following some sort of rules to begin with.

I'm not so certain, I think that if paper targets are left behind to the level cans and household trash has been then they would be banned too and then only commercially manufactured targets would be allowed. Those typically don't get left behind because they cost good money.....

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.midwayusa.com%2Fproductimages%2F880x660%2Fprimary%2F283%2F283046.jpg

The logic behind your logic sounds logical. Following the rules is a logical path that most people, with a sense of logic, would logically follow, however, as illogical as it seems, some shooters out there don't have even the slightest sense of common logic.

I'm sure you can logically see where my logic is going with this. It's only logical.

:confused: :D

The logic behind your logic sounds logical. Following the rules is a logical path that most people, with a sense of logic, would logically follow, however, as illogical as it seems, some shooters out there don't have even the slightest sense of common logic.

I'm sure you can logically see where my logic is going with this. It's only logical.

:confused: :D
Sorry, couldn't resist! I'm a little warped sometimes!

You're right about paper being biodegradable in a reasonable amount of time and the other stuff not so much, however, don't leave that behind either! It makes us all look bad!

Legal stuff is paper targets, and other targets that are manufactured specifically for target shooting. That can be steel targets, bouncy self healing targets and other fun stuff. Like Koda said, if you invest in good quality targets, you won't be leaving a mess behind.

No matter what we shoot, we should Trash No Land! (Ha! Like how I snuck that one in there?). It's only logical that I would!

Guess I should stop shooting what is normally left by others. Didnt know about legal targets as mentioned above so thank you for the education. :) I normally pick up then shoot when we go. Never have been stopped or visited would be more appropriate while shooting. But a truck load of garbage would be a good indicator that your not leaving stuff in the woods especially if the shooting area was clean. Did find this pile Satuday before I got stuck in the snow for an hour. Never did make it to the trail cam. 20180120_130020.jpg

Guess I should stop shooting what is normally left by others. Didnt know about legal targets as mentioned above so thank you for the education. :) I normally pick up then shoot when we go. Never have been stopped or visited would be more appropriate while shooting. But a truck load of garbage would be a good indicator that your not leaving stuff in the woods especially if the shooting area was clean. Did find this pile Satuday before I got stuck in the snow for an hour. Never did make it to the trail cam.View attachment 423745
That's just plain old dumping! Someone taking the cheap route and doesn't give a rats bubblegum about their own land! That chaps my butt! I bet you didn't find one bullet hole in that! Doesn't look like much fun to shoot.

You're right about cleaning up first. If nothing else, clean up the area where you'll be setting up your targets. At least you can show that you are shooting the stuff you brought and not all the other stuff that was already there.

Ideally, it would be best to clean up the whole area first, however, that's not always feasible to do.

First and foremost, cover your back side and you should be okay. As for the rest of it, post about it and we may be able to get some folks up there to get it cleaned up.

Did you load and dispose of that carpet?

Did you load and dispose of that carpet?
If you couldn't get it in the truck, and it's still out there, PM me with a Google map link and I'll get an email to the forest officials as to where it is. We are their eyes and ears and it's how we can show our respect for recreation in general (and score a few extra points as well!).

Thanks, Rem!

I dont have a gps so I will try to find my map of the area after work. I wasnt dressed for picking up stuff so it is still there. I was going to send Paul T the road number since it is BLM. There was even a vacuum. There was some target trash but didnt even touch the carpet.

I always pack out more than I bring in, and I see that I'm not the only one who does, but I usually don't have the space for large items. One quarry I use that's particularly busy gets lots of appliances, tubs, etc., but someone seems to clean up the big stuff at least once a year.

This is a up hill battle guys. I went to the clean and shoot in Hockinson. Went back with Joe13 about a month later to test fire a rifle and the place was totally trashed again.

Something has to be done to hold people accountable for there actions. :mad:

Unfortunately the only way LE can hold anyone accountable is to actually she them commit the offense. So basically the have to sit in the bushes and watch and bust them as the are leaving. Not that I'm against them doing this, it's just very labor intensive and that = money. Money most departments don't have. This is Wa St. law the officer has to see offense perpetrated by offender.
I was up on Larch man In Wa. One day a couple of yrs ago and talked to one of the DNR cops about this very subject and this is how he explained it to me anyway. They patrol that area pretty heavily all days and times of the week. This guy was cool, but I had a runnin with another officer that was a total d**k and I had to remind him who owns the land and who he works for. When I started to confront him my wife just walked away sure that I was going to jail I wasn't a a** I just gave him a firm friendly reminder that it wasn't his private forest and he doesn't make the rules. ( he tried to say I was shooting in a unsafe manner when in all reality I was just finishing putting my guns and garbage away and he didn't even see me shooting or were my targets were placed and I always have a earthen back stop ).
I must've got him pretty peeved he went down the road a 1/4 mike and stopped two kids on dirt bikes riding on the road one kid just barley went off the road to turn around to talk with him and he wrote the kid a ticket for over a 150.00 for riding off road were talkin two ft. Off of it if that. I told the kid to fight it. Sorry I digress a little.

Stacy

What do you mean be nice? I'm not sure I could be nice if I saw someone trashing the woods and possibly taking my rights away of shooting in the woods or hunting because there to damn lazy or cheap to clean up behind themselves.

In fact that sheit pizzes me off!!!!!

It pizzas me off too but,
There's a couple of things you have to take into account with these types of people a lot were trained to take tv,botttles,cans and such out to shoot by there families and it's been passed down thru generations of shooters sad but true. Also there was a time when it was socially acceptable to shoot this stuff and just leave it. Also very sad but true. They need to be retrained. Sad having to teach grown men not to litter.
I taught my kids before they could shoot that we always pick up afterwards and not to shoot glass and such. My son is so anal about it it bothers him if he can't find a 22 case I have to remind him one isn't going to be the end of the world. We usually lay out a 12x16 tarp and capture all the brass on it makes for easy clean up.

Stacy

Also there was a time when it was socially acceptable to shoot this stuff and just leave it. Also very sad but true.

I dont belive this, it was never acceptable when I grew up target shooting with my day over 30 years ago we cleaned up everything. Wonder where he got it from?

I was up on Larch

This happens to be the site that we cleaned up!! I don't think its acceptible for anyone to leave there trash behind no matter what it is. There are so many options for people to shoot if they choose to. It is our job to correct people and inform them of what they can do to make things better for our kids and our kids, kids.

I have met some of the rangers up on Larch and all of them have been nothing but respectful to me and any one I was with. knowing these guys they only usually get upset it there is a reason to be.

I dont belive this, it was never acceptable when I grew up target shooting with my day over 30 years ago we cleaned up everything. Wonder where he got it from?

I came to that conclusion because I seen more appliances and glass being shoot and left back then (30+ yrs ago)than I do now more garbage was being dumped period back then.( also this is just my opinion too I have no facts or proof one way or another) I got into shooting seriously when I was 13 started at 9 I'm 48 now I was also taught you don't leave your garbage including shell casings.

This happens to be the site that we cleaned up!! I don't think its acceptible for anyone to leave there trash behind no matter what it is. There are so many options for people to shoot if they choose to. It is our job to correct people and inform them of what they can do to make things better for our kids and our kids, kids.

I have met some of the rangers up on Larch and all of them have been nothing but respectful to me and any one I was with. knowing these guys they only usually get upset it there is a reason to be.

No were I'm talking about is not up at the pit it's on the Bear Prairie side.

You have met some of them you stated
obviously not the one I'm talking about he nothing but a d**k doesn't think anyone should be up there shooting or riding. As he stated that fact to me that's why I got in his sh*t. He had no reason to act the way he did especially when he didn't see me shoot so he really had no reason to be upset other than he doesn't want people there shooting his job is to enforce the law and treat honest law biding people with some respect.

I'm not sure we're you and Koda came to the conclusion that I thought it was EVER ok to leave your trash. I said it was my believe that it was socially acceptable only buy the amount of people doing it then compared to know.

Not trying to start crap but I just want both of you to understand that's not what I do or ever have done!

Stacy

Last Edited:
Without fail every time I head into the Tillamook State Forest I will be two minutes from wrapping up the takedown and clean-up and a deputy pulls up. They sometimes suggest a place to dumpster it all away so I don't have to pay for a second can at my house that week, sometimes they just watch for the last minute and then wave and drive off. Just assume they are always there and there is a lot of good cleaning it better than you found it.

20171230_201436381_iOS.jpg

What would be extremely helpful is to post the rules as often as necessary. Brown's Camp users should have it memorized.

I'm not sure we're you and Koda came to the conclusion that I thought it was EVER ok to leave your trash. I said it was my believe that it was socially acceptable only buy the amount of people doing it then compared to know.

Not trying to start crap but I just want both of you to understand that's not what I do or ever have done!

To clarify, I never concluded that and do understand thats not what you do.

I think part of the issue is illegal dumping gets confused with trash shooting where people leave their target junk behind. Ive seen lots of dump sites in the woods, recent and back in the day...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top