JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And feed em a green bologna sandwich at noon!:)
Simple write them a ticket and give them the option to pick up three or what ever garbage bags of trash and turn it into the local law who then would give them a receipt to turn into court and have their fine suspended. Trash must be targets W holes. Good community service ~~ their gas/time and $$$

Simple write them a ticket and give them the option to pick up three or what ever garbage bags of trash and turn it into the local law who then would give them a receipt to turn into court and have their fine suspended. Trash must be targets W holes. Good community service ~~ their gas/time and $$$
Way too easy.........

Love it! Short and sweet. Gets the message across and is a win win for all!

As it stands, I believe it is littering public lands, maybe even dumping on public forest lands, and illegal discharge of firearms in the way of unapproved targets... to me, that seems like a couple grand in fines if ever caught.
I would think community service related to the offense would be a good addition to fines. If they can't afford to pay, credit additional community service hourly at minimum wage.
Now they just have to get caught...

Just my 2¢ and many may not agree with me but blunt and opinionated and all...

Stop giving out maps to shooting areas to city slickers who wouldn't have a clue as to how to get into the forest in the first place.:rolleyes:

I'm sure it looks good on paper as a way to keep people shooting in designated areas but your giving the key to the forest to a bunch of people that have no training, respect or consideration for the places they are being led to.

If you take the time to attend cleanups or drive around to find good places then your way more likely to clean up after yourself imo.

Things given and gotten freely have very little value to the crowd y'all are concerned about.

I never thought putting forest shooting areas on the internet was a good idea for the reasons listed above.

That's just me though.

While I agree with what you are saying, my thoughts are that most people who would ask for shooting locations are doing so because they want to shoot somewhere that would be deemed responsible. Let's face it there's a lot of places that one can just shoot as they please if you were not the type to care about stepping on toes or infringing on laws. In other words, the jackasses who leave the trash are probably just hillbilly jerks who wouldn't bother to ask where they can shoot. They just encroach on others spaces. I've asked where to shoot because I'm not completely familiar with the forest lands but I'd never do what these jerks do. I only ask because I am trying to find a spot that doesn't infringe on the laws and rules.

Nah, I am literally talking about paying a handful of people to man stations that access the shooting pits,

Unfortunately you can't fix stupid and immoral behavior in a legal way that would stop this POS's, getting them on camera and imposing jail time and big fines would be effective though
It would still be less expensive than going to a full service range whether indoor or outdoor. I'd pay a small fee to shoot to pay for overwatch. Rules aren't a problem for people who would live by them anyway.

While I agree with what you are saying, my thoughts are that most people who would ask for shooting locations are doing so because they want to shoot somewhere that would be deemed responsible. Let's face it there's a lot of places that one can just shoot as they please if you were not the type to care about stepping on toes or infringing on laws. In other words, the jackasses who leave the trash are probably just hillbilly jerks who wouldn't bother to ask where they can shoot. They just encroach on others spaces. I've asked where to shoot because I'm not completely familiar with the forest lands but I'd never do what these jerks do. I only ask because I am trying to find a spot that doesn't infringe on the laws and rules.

I can appreciate that. IMO finding a forum and starting to be an active participant in threads entititles you to ask and most likely you will get some PM's or links to other threads where places have been given out (your obviously not one of the people that have 3 posts and all of them are "Where can I go shooting".

That says (at least too me) that you are someone that we would want out in the forest at good shooting locations;).

BTW - just to nit pick a little bit:p, us hillbillies/rednecks are the ones that know the areas and keep them clean so we can keep shooting there. It's the white trash, meth heads and some of the entitled very well off people that leave junk all over the place and bring TVs and dishwashers to shoot so they can do a mag dump and see how cool their new rifle is before driving off and leaving it there.:s0137:

I can appreciate that. IMO finding a forum and starting to be an active participant in threads entititles you to ask and most likely you will get some PM's or links to other threads where places have been given out (your obviously not one of the people that have 3 posts and all of them are "Where can I go shooting".

That says (at least too me) that you are someone that we would want out in the forest at good shooting locations;).

BTW - just to nit pick a little bit:p, us hillbillies/rednecks are the ones that know the areas and keep them clean so we can keep shooting there. It's the white trash, meth heads and some of the entitled very well off people that leave junk all over the place and bring TVs and dishwashers to shoot so they can do a mag dump and see how cool their new rifle is before driving off and leaving it there.:s0137:
:Dit's the 20 something kids who haven't yet fully realized there are consequences for their actions.

Didn't mean to insinuate hillbilly being a derogatory term.. Just a term that's been sullied much the same as being a gun owner has been in general over the years! I'd like to see it change in a positive way!

if game wardens can hide out in the dunes and ticket a dad for helping his young child dig a clam, they should be able to hide out in some of the more active shooting spots and bust these jack holes for littering. They could even raise the fine for dumping to make it worthwhile.
I totally agree! If they have time to hangout and catch people poaching animals they can spend a little time catching these guys. Part of the problem is the gun community is part to blame for the mess. How many times have you been out and some jerk is shooting at trash and many of you have not said a word to another shooter? I know I am guilty of it. Now I make it my business. We are running out of space people. Just because the trash is already on the ground all shooter should refrain from partaking in garbage time. One TV can turn into thousands of little piece of trash. Just my two cents.

I just got back from driving to an indoor shooting range in Camas. As nice as it was, I could save myself a trip just staying in Oregon forest land. Waiting on a local rifle club membership. Costs money but shooting isn't a cheap hobby no matter how you break it down.

I totally agree! If they have time to hangout and catch people poaching animals they can spend a little time catching these guys. Part of the problem is the gun community is part to blame for the mess. How many times have you been out and some jerk is shooting at trash and many of you have not said a word to another shooter? I know I am guilty of it. Now I make it my business. We are running out of space people. Just because the trash is already on the ground all shooter should refrain from partaking in garbage time. One TV can turn into thousands of little piece of trash. Just my two cents.

Well, the cops hiding in the dunes are paid for by license fees for clamming. Should we have a license fee to shoot in the State Forest? And should someone shooting garbage, plastic jugs that were left by someone else, be ticketed even if they were packink them out when they were done?
Just looking at it from another angle.

No. Remove protective details for the governor, capital, and VIPs. If they don't feel safe they can obtain a carry permit and buy a gun, and maybe take a training class.

Reassign those troopers to F&G with a directive to oversee shooting areas and nail violators.

But that'd happen right after hell freezes over and the Clintons get publically hanged by the Bureau of Prisons for treason. Its more likely that Santa will bring me a stack of approved form 1s and a pile of transferrable pre 86 M16s this year. :rolleyes:

Part of the problem is the gun community is part to blame for the mess. How many times have you been out and some jerk is shooting at trash and many of you have not said a word to another shooter?
I hear what your saying but don't totally agree, butting in on a bunch of heavily armed irresponsible shooters may not be the safest thing to do. Most of them don't even know shooting soda cans is illegal, and thats just too hard for some to comprehend as true, so intervening you instantly become that liberal anti-gun snowflake trying to tell them what to do... it goes downhill from there.

55097F3F-286E-4525-8C6A-39E6CFE44D25.jpeg
No. Remove protective details for the governor, capital, and VIPs. If they don't feel safe they can obtain a carry permit and buy a gun, and maybe take a training class.

Reassign those troopers to F&G with a directive to oversee shooting areas and nail violators.

But that'd happen right after hell freezes over and the Clintons get publically hanged by the Bureau of Prisons for treason. Its more likely that Santa will bring me a stack of approved form 1s and a pile of transferrable pre 86 M16s this year. :rolleyes:
Your note reminds me of the first time I met our Gov Otter. It was the first year of his first term. In Idaho, we have a tradition of having a celebration of President Lincoln (the actual founder of Idaho) in each county every year. The politicians come out have a little speech and just mingle in the crowd for a few hours. We usually have a congressman, a senator, local and state officials. It is open to the public and we usually have 100 or so people attend. So, I was talking with our wonderful Senator Risch and in walks Otter dressed in a cowboy hat, jeans, a trophy buckle and jacket. He was alone, had driven himself from Boise. Otter is one of those gregarious guys that always remembers your name and who you are. My Land Rover was parked on the other side of the wall with a fully loaded AR15 and who knows what other artillery...no problems, no drama. Otter came around the room later on, picked me up by the lapels and said....."who are you....your a pretty good looking guy" we talked for maby 45 min mostly 1 on 1 and we have been fast friends since. That is Idaho.

A friend of mine from work was shooting on MLK DAY in Tenino Wa he said lots of people out shooting on the holiday and a game warden came out there and was handing out all the rules for shooting he said no tickets issue just making sure everyone knows the rules

A friend of mine from work was shooting on MLK DAY in Tenino Wa he said lots of people out shooting on the holiday and a game warden came out there and was handing out all the rules for shooting he said no tickets issue just making sure everyone knows the rules
I tend to do that often. Usually it's a special trip just to hand out the rules brochure (not planning to shoot that day). (I do do a lot of shooting, but, most of it is with a camera!) Any other time I'm on public land, for any reason, I always pack a few fliers and hand them out if I have the time and opportunity.

Now if I had a badge, I would be able to approach more shooters, however, as a 'Joe-Blow' walking up on people who are minding their own business while target shooting, I'm likely to get a negative reception. So, I read the group in advance and tend to shy away from those who 'look' too rough.

If I feel okay about visiting, I approach with a wave, smile and hold up the flier (and always Open Carry!). Most are receptive of that and seem to feel comfortable with this stranger coming into camp (not posing a threat and looking like another recreational shooter).

I just about always see they are shooting stuff that would be deemed illegal in the eyes of an officer, however, I don't make a big deal about it. I do mention that if an officer sees you shooting that, he could give you a citation for a violation of the rule (or worse, a misdemeanor charge if he felt it was Reckless Endangerment or Offensive Littering). Then we get into a conversation about what's legal and what's not. I don't argue, because I think most of it should okay, as long as you take it out, however, the law says... bla bla bla, and if we want to keep this privilege open to shooting in the future, we need to respect the law. I've never had a bad experience, (yet), and like to think I might have gotten through to another one or two who didn't know.

That IS encouraging to hear that LE is handing out the rules up there in Tenino. In the Mt Hood Nat Forest, Officer Olson always handed out fliers of the rules and even gave out maps to the gravel pits where shooting is generally safer. Clackamas County Sheriff's deputies also carry our brochures and hand them out when patrolling in Mt Hood forest. I know some foresters in Tillamook State Forest do the same.

So, download and print the rules. Take em with you and hand them out freely. If you can't print them at home, stop by a Forest agency office and ask for a few copies of the rules (they'll be happy to print them for you!). It's for the good of our kind of recreation! Rules can be found here: Trash No Land Shooting Rules and a Target Shooting on Public Land brochure can be printed from here: Shooting Brochure

And shake that game warden's hand next time you see him!

Bill

I tend to do that often. Usually it's a special trip just to hand out the rules brochure (not planning to shoot that day). (I do do a lot of shooting, but, most of it is with a camera!) Any other time I'm on public land, for any reason, I always pack a few fliers and hand them out if I have the time and opportunity.

Now if I had a badge, I would be able to approach more shooters, however, as a 'Joe-Blow' walking up on people who are minding their own business while target shooting, I'm likely to get a negative reception. So, I read the group in advance and tend to shy away from those who 'look' too rough.

If I feel okay about visiting, I approach with a wave, smile and hold up the flier (and always Open Carry!). Most are receptive of that and seem to feel comfortable with this stranger coming into camp (not posing a threat and looking like another recreational shooter).

I just about always see they are shooting stuff that would be deemed illegal in the eyes of an officer, however, I don't make a big deal about it. I do mention that if an officer sees you shooting that, he could give you a citation for a violation of the rule (or worse, a misdemeanor charge if he felt it was Reckless Endangerment or Offensive Littering). Then we get into a conversation about what's legal and what's not. I don't argue, because I think most of it should okay, as long as you take it out, however, the law says... bla bla bla, and if we want to keep this privilege open to shooting in the future, we need to respect the law. I've never had a bad experience, (yet), and like to think I might have gotten through to another one or two who didn't know.

That IS encouraging to hear that LE is handing out the rules up there in Tenino. In the Mt Hood Nat Forest, Officer Olson always handed out fliers of the rules and even gave out maps to the gravel pits where shooting is generally safer. Clackamas County Sheriff's deputies also carry our brochures and hand them out when patrolling in Mt Hood forest. I know some foresters in Tillamook State Forest do the same.

So, download and print the rules. Take em with you and hand them out freely. If you can't print them at home, stop by a Forest agency office and ask for a few copies of the rules (they'll be happy to print them for you!). It's for the good of our kind of recreation! Rules can be found here: Trash No Land Shooting Rules and a Target Shooting on Public Land brochure can be printed from here: Shooting Brochure

And shake that game warden's hand next time you see him!

Bill
Lol my friend was surprised when he read the rules because he had a twelve pack of soda cans but the warden just told him pick up your trash and here are the rules

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top