JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need some well publicized arrests with jail time and/or fines, gun and vehicle confiscation ..........any police officer can do it.
I wouldn't be opposed at all to publicly humiliating someone who got caught in illegal activity in the woods. I am opposed to doing it without positive proof and actual police records to back up the story.

I tried to find out some numbers on fines given, arrests made and final outcomes. It's tough to track that stuff down. It would require a hand search. Violations are not specifically tracked. The crimes: Offensive Littering and Reckless Endangering (misdemeanors) are tracked but not specific to target shooting. So this again would require a hand search and reading of each report attached to see if the charge of offensive littering was the result of target shooting or someone dumping garbage.

The gun/vehicle confiscation would pertain more to a poaching offense, unless a shooter committed a more serious offense while shooting.

I do not want to advocate for gun/vehicle confiscation for target shooting/dumping violations. That would be like shooting ourselves in the foot!

I have a few connections here so it would be easy......but some of you guys need to go have a sit down conversation with the Sheriff and maby a judge or two........might bring a reporter along......you will be amazed at what can get done. Maby make it a NWFA project. Call it community outreach. It would be good for everyone. Cleanups are great but time is better utilized in prevention. It would be good for our image as well as everyone involved.

I wouldn't be opposed at all to publicly humiliating someone who got caught in illegal activity in the woods. I am opposed to doing it without positive proof and actual police records to back up the story.

I tried to find out some numbers on fines given, arrests made and final outcomes. It's tough to track that stuff down. It would require a hand search. Violations are not specifically tracked. The crimes: Offensive Littering and Reckless Endangering (misdemeanors) are tracked but not specific to target shooting. So this again would require a hand search and reading of each report attached to see if the charge of offensive littering was the result of target shooting or someone dumping garbage.

The gun/vehicle confiscation would pertain more to a poaching offense, unless a shooter committed a more serious offense while shooting.

I do not want to advocate for gun/vehicle confiscation for target shooting/dumping violations. That would be like shooting ourselves in the foot!
I am sure the jail confiscation thing would be for egregious multiple offenders, but it wouldn't take many for people to get the message. If you really want to solve a problem, you have to have the courage and resolve to really do it.......not just bar (or computer) talk.

You need some well publicized arrests with jail time and/or fines, gun and vehicle confiscation ..........any police officer can do it.
Before this could happen we would need these as PENALTIES for the violations - which for littering, shooting trees, dumping currently are not.

Before this could happen we would need these as PENALTIES for the violations - which for littering, shooting trees, dumping currently are not.
We have very strict littering laws here in Idaho, there are public nusence laws, dumping laws, I am sure the Sheriff/Da/ and judges can figure something out. Again, sounds like a great NWFA project.

You need some
well publicized arrests with jail time and/or fines, gun and vehicle confiscation ..........any police officer can do it.

Sure but unwarranted arrests are meaningless and can backfire badly especially if some cop wants to play big stick. I record all my interactions with such fun folks. If I'm doing something bad, I get arrested and rightfully so. If they step over the line, I have a legal recourse.

How about we all be nice about it instead?

How about we all be nice about it instead?

What do you mean be nice? I'm not sure I could be nice if I saw someone trashing the woods and possibly taking my rights away of shooting in the woods or hunting because there to damn lazy or cheap to clean up behind themselves.

In fact that sheit pizzes me off!!!!!

Owning a firearm is but hunting and shooting are most certainly not rights, not any more than driving a vehicle is a right. If 'doing something' means assault, the outcome isn't going to be what you think.

Owning a firearm is but hunting and shooting are most certainly not rights, not any more than driving a vehicle is a right. If 'doing something' means assault, the outcome isn't going to be what you think.

I really don't care how you want to look at it in your life. The people who go out and trash things or dump trash in the forests or woods or anywhere that it doesn't belong are low life scum that deserve to be busted. If it continues they will take away the ability for those who take care of those sights to use them.

Sounds like this conversation hits home for you. Before the citification of the Northwest, we were known as a very clean well managed region. My family would have a fit (in someone's face) if a campground or rural area was trashed. Anything unnatural in a natural setting was absolute unacceptable. I remember picking up plastic shotgun wads after shooting grouse in the woods. Why do you think we still have the pristine areas left that we do? I spend a lot of time in Europe. It is amazing how clean and natural the landscape is even near places that have been densely populated for millennia.What are we lacking in our psyche to allow or do this damage to occur? In Basic training, I remember my TI saying "you clean up after yourself....your mother doesn't live here". This is another issue that ads a brick in the wall of gun control and left unchallenged will restrict our right to use guns or even have access to public grounds.

This is another issue that ads a brick in the wall of gun control and left unchallenged will restrict our right to use guns or even have access to public grounds.

Absolutley, if we lose our priveledge to shoot on public lands where do we sight in our guns, or practice and train with them?
What good is an unsighted gun or a gun you cant shoot anytime you want....

How about makeing it a law that any place you shoot YOU must clean up everything possible before leaving ~~ including what was left over from previous shooters. Then when law enforcement shows up /takes your license #. It'll be your responsibility to clean up the area. If you can take the time to drive out there you can take the time to clean it up. All most everybody goes with at least one other person.Not every body would get caught,but it would give the law enforcement a way to check and ticket the shooters.
It will take a lot of work to start with,but after time it'd work.:(:(

How about makeing it a law that any place you shoot YOU must clean up everything possible before leaving ~~ including what was left over from previous shooters. Then when law enforcement shows up /takes your license #. It'll be your responsibility to clean up the area. If you can take the time to drive out there you can take the time to clean it up. All most everybody goes with at least one other person.Not every body would get caught,but it would give the law enforcement a way to check and ticket the shooters.
It will take a lot of work to start with,but after time it'd work.:(:(
Not a bad thought but I am sure there are laws already on the books to deal with the issue. The problem is the will to enforce them. If done on federal lands, might even be a felony.

The type of people who do this are also the type of people who do not deserve personal freedoms, in my opinion.
Hunt them down and throw them on a chain gang.

Making responsible people legally required to pick up after others is a terrible idea, it would actually empower the criminal trash dumpers and illegal shooters to continue doing it...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top