Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

more revelations on ammo and reloading shortage.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by prkrgrp, Feb 22, 2014.

1. prkrgrp

prkrgrp oregon Active Member

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. bzltyr

bzltyr Portland Metro area Active Member

I think more people are buying guns, the ar platform in 22, with 22 handguns is very popular. It used to be buying ammo was one box or so. Now u see people buying a case and being unsure on stock. The ammo is coming back and restrictions on quantity is beling lifted. In due time.

3. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Ammo isn't in short supply!

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I am not sure what is being leaked here. Some of the info is wrong. Some just plain bad. Not to the least is appears to be an old article from sometime last year, but there is no actual date on the information.

5. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

"...Another avid shooter, who asked not to be identified, went so far as to say he thought “the United States is in a pre-revolutionary condition, where the citizens are afraid of the government and are hoarding ammunition in preparation for an eventual civil war.”

Supporting that opinion, a recent Fairleigh-Dickinson University PublicMind Poll found that 29 percent of Americans, a sizable minority, agreed with the statement: “In the next few years, an armed revolution might be necessary in order to protect our liberties.” By political party the results included, Democrats: 18 percent; Independents: 27 percent; and Republicans: 44 percent. Results were similar for men and women."

This^^^

6. markpeters1970

markpeters1970 PNW Active Member

A few items:

1. Gary and Bret are great guys
    2. Cross Tac has not been in Montana for about a year
    3. This seems like old information

I do agree all of our rights are under attack. I would think we could use current information to address those looking to have us part ways with the 2nd amendment. it would also serve the cause better to understand causes of supply and the additional tolls on metals from 2002-2012. China?? And lead smelters closing has already been proved a non-issue by the ammunition manufacturers.

7. GrpCapMandrake

GrpCapMandrake Vancouver Active Member

Personally I think there are a couple of forces at work in the ammunition market.

1. Fear of bans, restrictions and other paranoia.
    2. Hoarding based on the above and a number of unscrupulous people who try to effect local market prices by trying to sit on large supplies of ammunition. I have seen it happen in other markets and my guess is that ammunition is not immune to this activity.

Both are on the part of the American gun owner, not the government. I do not think the government is buying all the ammo or even the vast majority of it as an underhanded move to deprive you, the American citizen, of ammunition for your gun. Have you noticed the governments outstanding ability to keep conspiracies under wraps? Me neither.

In my humble opinion as long as people are willing to shell out large amounts of cash for a product out of fear, then the market will continue to suffer for consumers and be a financial boon for the sellers. The well known proverb about a fool and his money comes to mind. This madness over ammo is no different than what happened to magazines and semi-auto rifles.

Take a few deep breaths folks.

8. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

That article is from August of 2013.....found it here: Out of Ammo

Definitely old information.

9. usagi

usagi Redmond Well-Known Member

only 22lr is in short supply. everything else is plentiful.

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

AK ammo and many others are coming down in price quite a bit now. Have seen it at 22 cents a pop in case quantity, and readily available online

11. whodareswins

whodareswins sw overwatch Member

the only ammo that was ever short in my area the past year was .22lr and .223...everything else we had plenty of

12. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

CTD has 7.62x39 for as low as 4.09 per 20, and .223 Armscore for about $7 a box. That's getting back down to 2010 prices. Ammo is on the shelf at WalMart and unless you're looking for 9mm or .22 LR, it's definitely out there.

13. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

10mm appears to be in short supply judging by how many "out of stock" messages appear on the distributors & retailers websites

14. Blitzkrieg

As Artillery man stated, less popular specialty rounds are still difficult and $$$$$$$$

15. Michael

Michael Oregon Member

Yup, just started looking for it myself and not having much luck!

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

The thing about "specialty" ammo is that they only do limited/finite runs of varying duration/amount per year instead of full-time, non-stop production of the most/more demanded rounds.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Blitzkrieg

Which is why serious shooters of those calibers need to handload

18. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Is it possible to be a serious shoot and not reload? :paranoid:

19. BryanMunson

BryanMunson United States, Albany, OR Member

If you think ammo is hard to find, try finding powder. I would expect a shortage in the market with a spike in demand but I cannot figure out why the supply chain hasn't expanded its capacity to meet current demand? I know there is a fear that the current demand is just a bubble, but for crying out loud this has been going on a year and a half almost!

It's not like there is a scarcity of raw material, like say oil, but a lack of capital equipment. I think there are only a handful of places where gun powder is made and I haven't heard any news on capital expenditures to increase supply.

Martini_Up and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Blitzkrieg

That's like asking a heroin junky if they need a fix! :cool: