JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/12/border.hearing/index.html

"Sanchez said it's a crime to sell some of the guns from stores within the United States and traffic them to Mexico. Most of the gun stores selling these weapons, she said, are within a mile of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Sanchez suggested looking at what types of guns are being sold in those stores and perhaps instituting some provision against assault weapons."

NO! Automatic weapons aren't taken in from the US, and NO, banning legal semi-automatics will only leave us defenseless, hence why Mexico is filled with violence right now. Only the criminals there have weapons!

Excerpts from:

Attorney General Prepared Remarks
Binational Meeting between the U.S. And Mexico
San Diego, California
[NOTE: THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFTEN
DEVIATES FROM PREPARED REMARKS]
July 24, 2001

Although we do not have firm statistics, there is no question that the United States is the source of a significant number of guns used to commit crimes in Mexico. This is not surprising given our shared border and the violent criminal organizations that span the border to prey on citizens in both countries.

The ATF is the lead investigative agency in the United States for gun offenses. Its reputation for tracing weapons used in crimes is world-renowned. In recent years, the ATF has moved into the international arena, recognizing the problem of guns being smuggled out of the United States and the use of those guns to commit crimes in other countries.

http://www.usdoj.gov/archive/ag/speeches/2001/072401binationalmeeting.htm

So in other words, Americans are responsible for the guns being supplied to to Mexican drug dealers, we don't have any proof or we have failed to give any statistics to prove this point, but you should just take us for our word.

Also the ATF is so good at tracking these seized weapons that we still do not have any statistics to prove our argument.

I have no problem admitting that guns from America are finding their way into Mexico, based on the inefficiency of our "Secure Borders" one would not have to go far to believe this. What I have a problem with is that these idiots are trying to make a case of gun control over these unavailable statistics that show where the guns are actually coming from. Where are the arrests for all those illicit gun shops that are selling the guns that are ending up in Mexico. If there were any arrests, they'd be front page news.

A story you won't hear a lot about, probably because it goes contrary to the stereotype:

<broken link removed>

Good on them and more power to 'em. :s0155:

This is the reason I have been saying there won't be an new assault weapons ban again. We do need to keep a close watch on this Mexico and National Security agenda though.

I believe the whole mexican drug cartel thing is just an 'in' for the Obama administration to carry out their predetermined agenda to disarm Americans. I don't think they really give a sh*t rather or not mexicans are killing eachother.

I hope that we are able to fight this thing off as the gun industry is much bigger than it was when the 1st ban passed. For instance there was just a few AR15 producers before and now there is how many? ...exactly

It's surprising that they'd think to attack the one industry remaining in the U.S. that is thriving and thereby pumping massive flow into the economy. They think the loss of car sales hurts?

Lets see, not too many years back a boat load of fully auto AKs on a China
flag ship, slated for Kalif. gangs was seized. Solution was to ban all ammo from China that still remains today. Humm, maybe Mexico should ban all US
firearms and ammo. Gee, I thought citizens are banned from gun ownership and ammo for the most part anyway. Must be some kind of a gun show loophole involved in this problem. Ask any LEO how any illegal can buy firearms now without going through the hassel of even having a green card.
So refreshing to find our boarders so well guarded. Everyone who has a job securing our country is encouraged with the jailing of two great Americans
who put a round through a trespassing drug runners rearend. Instead of honoring them, they gave the two officers more time than a murderer. Yeah
I'm sure a ban will stop these thugs! What a brillant plan?????:s0131::angry:

The American people are not buying the hyperbole.

WASHINGTON, March 26 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has stated that the Obama administration would like to resurrect the Clinton ban on semi-automatic firearms, as well as other gun control laws.

One of the reasons for bringing back these unpopular laws, according to Holder, is that Mexican drug cartels are becoming increasingly violent and warring with Mexican government troops. Holder says that some of the guns being used by the Mexican drug mafia are being obtained illegally from the United States.

Mexico is a country with a reputation for political corruption and a healthy disregard for the individual rights of its citizens. Still, Holder and the Obama administration think that limiting the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens is a cure for drug violence in Mexico.

However, according to a recent poll conducted by The O'Leary Report and Zogby International, a vast majority of the American voting public disagrees.

<broken link removed>

Just a little police action right now, got to grease the sqeaky wheel. If you really want to get something done, you don't just send a few more fed's there, you send the national guard.

...what percentage of the worlds "assault" style rifles are actually made in America? Then I would want to know what percentage of those were produced for the military and what percentage where actually on the open market. I am pretty confident the ones delivered to the military are not making it into the hands of Mexican drug lords unless our own government is selling them to them. I am betting the percentage of American made weapons making their way into the drug cartels hands is pretty small.

...what percentage of the worlds "assault" style rifles are actually made in America? Then I would want to know what percentage of those were produced for the military and what percentage where actually on the open market. I am pretty confident the ones delivered to the military are not making it into the hands of Mexican drug lords unless our own government is selling them to them. I am betting the percentage of American made weapons making their way into the drug cartels hands is pretty small.

It seems weird to me to too. Why would a cartel member buy a semiauto AR from a gunshop in America for over $1500 when they could go to South America and get an RPG, box of grenades, and a case of fully auto AK's for the same price?

I have been a part of a few military operations throughout Latin America back in the 80's and observing how the "Banana Republics" do business... I submit that military weapons are sold to the various Central American "goobermints", then "El Capitain" of the "Cholo Brigade" sells the fresh government shipments of weapons to "Julio" the drug-monkey to bring back to "El Scarface" who is the top-cock of whatever cartel you want to pick... then they go a huntin' the "policia" and other inept military units that get in their way.

Hum, maybe after Ollie days with guns going out of Mena, Ark. and drugs come in. Nothing flys empty. Our US was going to set up a factory so Mexico could produce their own using our equipment. Not quite ugly American at that point, and besides who would give up a free ride? They set up one of ours (our own) to help this get done or else. Refusal to run the factory, pretty well ended life as he knew it. Spent all his money and a good part of his life fighting the system and their setting him up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top