JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Democratic gun reformers give Obama a pass as they push for tougher laws - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), Congress's loudest voice for tougher gun laws, also declined to poke Obama on the issue, suggesting the president is focused on things like the economy that resonate with a much greater number of voters.

"I do believe the President of the United States ... believes in what we believe in," she said this week. "But there are other things that, right now, [are] on everybody else's plate."

Obama on Wednesday addressed the gun-violence issue, emphasizing his support for the Second Amendment while simultaneously conceding that current safeguards aren't doing enough to tackle the crisis. The president suggested support for tougher gun laws – a position consistent with his 2008 campaign platform – but also indicated that he'll be focusing instead on lesser-profile programs that don't need congressional approval.

"I'm going to continue to work with members of both parties, and with religious groups and with civic organizations, to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction," he said in an address the National Urban League convention in New Orleans. "Not just of gun violence, but violence at every level, on every step, looking at everything we can do to reduce violence and keep our children safe."

White House spokesman Jay Carney on Thursday clarified Obama's comments, saying the president is seeking a "broader effort" to reduce violence that essentially sidesteps a Congress that hasn't shown any appetite for gun reform.

While Obama supports an assault weapons ban, Carney added, he will focus on avenues "short of legislation and short of gun laws."

The approach by lawmakers highlights the difficulty of moving controversial legislation in an election year – particularly when the White House is up for grabs. And perhaps no single issue is as toxic, in the eyes of lawmakers, as gun reform, which has made Democrats uncomfortable since they lost control of the House in a 1994 sweep often linked to their support for strict gun reforms – including an assault weapons ban – earlier that same year.

Maybe this is the kind of stuff, that doesn't require new laws or congressional approval, that they're talking about.

How about simply not renewing import permits on Import Permits? They're not banning them.. they're just not going to renew the permits.

Import Ammo & High Capacity Magazines: Stock up Now! - YouTube

Some say there is no difference between Romney and Obama. For me, the difference seems to be that Yes Romney signed into law a bunch of crap in MA. But I don't see him as the driving force behind it. Obama has shown me that this is something HE is passionate about getting done. And considering the tactics he's taken on Health Care, Fast and Furious, and Illegal Immigration, I'm convinced that he WILL DO whatever it takes to create "Change" regarding the second amendment. The biggest of which will be another appointee to the Supreme Court which could change things forever.

Of course he's going to stay quiet right now before an election. He has to say 'something' to calm those on the left who want a reaction the Aurora, but he won't attempt any real change until his second term.

Even if you don't like Mitt. At least we'll have leverage against him. He will want a second term as well, and won't risk doing anything either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top