JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
here ---------- <broken link removed>

“Mexico has some of the toughest gun-control laws”

From the Washington Post: “Mexico has some of the toughest gun-control laws in the world, a matter of pride for the nation’s citizens. Yet Mexico is awash in weapons.”

In 25 words, reporter William Booth has made the best argument against gun-control laws that could be made.

But worse than being awash in guns, Mexico is awash with gun killings. The homicide rate for Mexico is 15 per 100,000 residents — 14th highest in the world. Latin American countries dominate the top of the homicide list, so it is not just the drug trade.

The story went on to blame the Second Amendment in the United States for the proliferation of guns in Mexico, but never quite got around to Mexico’s standing as a murderous nation.

From the article: “Manzano said the wide gulf in gun laws between Mexico and the United States creates an almost irresistible arms-trafficking market for the powerful criminal organizations terrorizing wide swaths of his country.”

I have many times blamed Mexico’s illegal drug trade on American law-breakers who use these drugs, particularly marijuana which accounts for roughly two thirds of the Mexican drug trade.

The difference of course is that Americans legally sell guns where as the drug dealers are braeking the law on both sides of the border.

But if we want to stop the sale of guns to Mexicans, make gun dealers check IDs so they don’t sell to illegal immigrants.

Likewise, the fault for guns in Mexico lies with the Mexicans, not the Americans.

See gun control works...... :s0054:

I saw <broken link removed> in today's Seattle Times - it seems like they just keep printing the same basic article over-and-over. This version focuses on the Mexican gun store; other versions focus on police who capture guns, etc. But, it's always "American gun laws are flooding Mexico with illegal guns" - followed by a dozen examples that suggest this isn't the main problem down there.

This part caught my eye:

Manzano said the wide gulf in gun laws between Mexico and the United States creates an almost irresistible market for arms trafficking for the powerful criminal organizations terrorizing wide swaths of his country.

And then....

Alberto Islas, a security expert based in Mexico, said it is common knowledge that the easiest way for the average citizen to buy a gun is to ask a friendly local police officer.

"The cop will bring it to your house and show you how to load it," Islas said. "Of course, it is technically illegal."

And, of course this interesting part...

The U.S. and Mexican governments have worked together to trace 73,000 seized weapons, but both refuse to release results of the traces.

You know, I'm not usually one to suspect some grand media conspiracy at work, but this stupid story just keeps coming back too many times - say it enough times and it'll be true?

Of course, Mexico's president Felipe Calderon doesn't want us to secure the border so as to allow the illegal immigration to go north and then complains that illegal weapons are heading south through those same borders!

I find it interesting that the liberal media reports this without question (silly me for thinking) and the knuckleheads in DC think there's a problem with laws regarding firearms.

from post by sun 195:
Alberto Islas, a security expert based in Mexico, said it is common knowledge that the easiest way for the average citizen to buy a gun is to ask a friendly local police officer.

"The cop will bring it to your house and show you how to load it," Islas said. "Of course, it is technically illegal."

This is actually funny. I spent a few months when i was 14 in Nicaragua as part of a famine relief program with my parents. One thing about alot of Central America that i found out was anything can be bought at the black markets. I asked a police officer one day where the baby jaguars were at and he asked if i was looking to buy a gun. I wasnt, and he asked if i had one, i said no and he said i should buy his...lol He was carrying a fully automatic m16 with a grenade launcher underneath it. Pretty sure it was provided by our US military... but anyways he offered to sell it to me for 100 bucks with 20 grenades. I asked him if he would get in trouble and he said he would have some family members beat him up and say it was stolen... He was pretty desperate for money and 100 dollars at that time was 3 months wages.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top