JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is one of those topics where if you ask a hundred different people you'll get a hundred different answers. BDC reticles on their own I've found fairly useless. I've been using the Primary Arms 1-6x Raptor FFP and although I have not really used it to it's potential, the idea behind the ACSS reticle in a LPVO seems more effective to me. It functions almost like a red dot at it's lowest power so that short range target acquisition a breeze. Not sure how effective it would be for hunting. They are dialed to a specific caliber. The one I used works with 5.56 and .308.

Last Edited:
This is one of those topics where if you ask a hundred different people you'll get a hundred different answers. BDC reticles on their own I've found fairly useless. I've been using the Primary Arms 1-6x Raptor FFP and although I have not really used it to it's potential, the idea behind the ACSS reticle in a LPVO seems more effective to me. It functions almost like a red dot at it's lowest power so that short range target acquisition a breeze. Not sure how effective it would be for hunting. They are dialed specific to a specific caliber. The one I used works with 5.56 and .308.

And It's not just all about bullet drops and leads for the individual shooter...

One thing to consider with these "Christmas Tree" type reticles and BDC like the ACSS is when working in a team environment and everyone has the same optic it aids in communication. Picture this, one member has eyes on a hidden treat, the others have no clue where the fire is coming , all members take cover and eyes on guy calls for everyone to slap the cross hairs in top story window on the right, now everyone is on the same reference page, eyes on guy calls out coords on optic, team takes out threat and goes for beer.

IMO, this is THE ONE if going for a PA ACSS reticle in LPVO.
Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope Dual Illuminated Green Chevron ACSS Aurora Reticle TA31-G-AURORA

And It's not just all about bullet drops and leads for the individual shooter...

One thing to consider with these "Christmas Tree" type reticles and BDC like the ACSS is when working in a team environment and everyone has the same optic it aids in communication. Picture this, one member has eyes on a hidden treat, the others have no clue where the fire is coming , all members take cover and eyes on guy calls for everyone to slap the cross hairs in top story window on the right, now everyone is on the same reference page, eyes on guy calls out coords on optic, team takes out threat and goes for beer.

Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope Dual Illuminated Green Chevron ACSS Aurora Reticle TA31-G-AURORA

Or just have a magazine full of tracers!

@No_Regerts I'm also looking to scope one of my AR's with an LPVO or ACOG style of optic. (a 20" bbl). There are a lot of options and it is confusing. I'm told the BDC reticles are primarily intended for 3-gunners. Most of these LPVO's are for sports and not duty. I think one advantage of the FFP is you can use it to range targets at any magnification... I know a lot of people keep their LPVO at either 1x or at Max, but personally, I like 3-3.5x. I find anything over 4x and the sight picture shakes too much in the offhand position. That's why I'm also considering a Prism, or some other fixed power optic.

I like the concept of the ACOG, I just don't like the eye relief issue. There are versions like the TA44 and TA45 that have a lot more eye relief, but they are 1.5x. That, and they are all expensive.

ACOG's may not quite be obsolete but they are obsolescent, if it wasn't for their extreme robustness they'd be done.

I think these days too many "team environments" require a headset and a controller. In mom's basement. :D

Just pulled the trigger on a STRIKE EAGLE!!!!!

Sorry, I think the name is ridiculous. I got the 1-8x24 model.

It sounds scary enough. Did it come with an "operator" beard starter kit? :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads