JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 1982 film Blade Runner is, easily, in my top five favorite films, particularly the Director's Cut. Anyway, it looks like a sequel has finally come to fruition and will be release in October this year. I just thought I'd pass it along in case others might find it of interest. Cheers.

I'm ready. ;)

wheelers 024.jpg

Bladerunner is pound for pound one of if not THE greatest films ever made. That being said, i think its kind of a hands-off film. Like The Godfather, or Citizen Kane. Just leave it alone.

Nah. Sequel.

Having read the book ... the movie is nothing like that material.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
There are actual electric animals for the humans to care for, and what you can keep is a status thing
- Chicken, Sheep, Horse ...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

By 2021, the World War has killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remain covet any living creature, and for people who can't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacra: horses, birds, cats, sheep. They've even built humans. Immigrants to Mars receive androids so sophisticated they are indistinguishable from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans can wreak, the government bans them from Earth. Driven into hiding, unauthorized androids live among human beings, undetected. Rick Deckard, an officially sanctioned bounty hunter, is commissioned to find rogue androids and "retire" them. But when cornered, androids fight back—with lethal force.

I preferred the theatrical version to the directors cut.

Phillip K. Dick may have been insane. But his work stands the test of time - it is still making us think.
Philip K. Dick
Many thousands of readers consider Philip K. Dick the greatest science fiction mind on any planet. Since his untimely death in 1982, interest in his works has continued to mount, and his reputation has been further enhanced by a growing body of critical attention. Dick won the prestigious Hugo Award for best novel of 1963 for "The Man in the High Castle, " and in the last year of his life, the film Blade Runner was made from his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Did anyone watch the series Humans? Airs on AMC in the US
HUMANS

Blade Runner, great movie!

Up there with 2001 a Space Odyssey, Silent Running, Outland...

Sequel for blade runner? Hmmm dunno about that, but thanks for the info!

Edit: other artificial intelligence type scifi movies I've enjoyed are Bicentennial Man & A.I. . Both of those I'm not ashamed to admit make me a bit teary eyed.

Last Edited:
I think I must be the only sci-fi fan that didn't care for Blade Runner. Don't know why, it had lots of good stuff going for it, but it just never clicked with me. But then, I've never been a great fan of the dark, bleak, dystopian futures that are used so often in sci-fi.

So, as for a sequel? Probably not interested, but I may give it one chance.

Yeah, who needs stories of dark, bleak, dystopian futures when we have the real deal in the here and now? o_O

This thread just reminded me of White Zombie's (Rob Zombie) song, More Human Than Human.... LOL

Warning, the opening noises are.... "interesting".

Exactly! Every time I turn on the news, we're already there!

Don't turn on the news, duh!;)

I loved Blade Runner! I've never been into reading, I do it well, I'd just rather watch. I realize I'm probably missing out. I will definitely look forward to the sequel though!

@Mikej - I used to read all the time. 30+ years back. I now get stuff on Audio and listen while doing my workouts.
Our library system (all over PNW and the Military) is available so lots of choices.

Although, I have been on the list for over a year for Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick's award winning title.

This is for Oregon
Home - Oregon Digital Library Consortium

This is for all available
Search and borrow from OverDrive's huge catalogue of eBooks, audiobooks and videos

That's ^^ interesting....I never thought about that.

If you get the Audio books from the library, they have a timer. Can't listen after the check out period.
My solution, is to follow the spirit of their policy, my intent, yea, that's ticket.
I download to my computer and transfer then to my phone which I use to listen to the book.

I didn't like the default app Overdrive. I got a paid reader - the $2 I spent got me speed control, so I can listen at 1.2x or 1.3x - as I typically find that at the 1.0 speed, it is too slow.

Books I store for SHTF, are paperbacks I buy at re-sale shops or garage sales.

Audio book presentations are becoming so cool. On my buy list. Laying in bed comfy, supported exactly correct. The heavy nightly painers are starting their magic. All the various ouchies, ah ohs, scars and various bits of titanium, stainless and plastic settle down and you turn on your audio book player.

You scrowl through the menu. Famous Novels. Moby Dick. In English. Male. Nantucket accent. Select full back ground sounds. You press the "PLAY" button. "Call Me Isamail." (s/p?) You close your eyes. Using your own imagination along with the back ground sounds you can go anywhere and any time.

Any specific recommendations on a good non super expensive audio book player along with light weight good ear phones? Are the ear phone jacks all the same? I have some super good ear muff speakers. I do not have a smart phone. I do NOT have nor want a nice TV. Audio books sound very nice.

PS: Right now at 2:32 pm, Thursday, 6 April, 2017 the F18s out of Klamath are flying around over the Illinois Valley. Very cool. Years ago they put on a neat short air show right over Cave Junction. Loops, rolls. Very noisy. Very cool. Life is good. :)

I'm glad to see that Harrison Ford has at least a cameo role. It will give continuity.

Harrison Ford has limited range as an actor, but he found his niche with Indiana Jones, Han Solo and Rick Deckard (Blade Runner). The roles were so perfect for him he gets to play them his whole career.

He played old Indiana Jones in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (it was awful).
He played old Han Solo (for the last time) in The Force Awakens.
Now he's playing old Rick Deckard in the Blade Runner Sequel.
I'm waiting for old Jack Ryan in a Tom Clancy movie.

By the way, I wish someone had made Red Storm Rising into a movie, even though Jack Ryan isn't in it. I love re-reading that book every couple years.

In the original BR, watching the scene with Rutger Hauer 'running out of time' sitting in the rain is one of the all-time moments in movie history - 'in the rain you cannot even see our tears....'

tac

+1

I think Hauer wrote that part - didn't like the script. Have heard it was ad lib'd, but more likely they did a take and said, nope, and then tried it the other way.

Rutger Hauer came up with many inventive ideas for his characterization, like the moment where he grabs and fondles a dove. He also improvised the now-iconic line "All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain". He later chose "All those moments" as the title of his autobiography.
-- imdb trivia entry

However neither Ridley Scott nor screenwriter David Webb Peoples actually read Dick's novel.
- imdb trivia entry

The inception dates of the different Replicants are:

-Roy Batty (January 8, 2016).

-Leon Kowalski (April 10, 2017). <---- Next week.

-Zhora (June 12, 2016).

-Pris (February 14, 2016).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews