JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been going back and forth with myself for a long time. I have a few guns already, .22, .17hmr and an ar15 to name a few. I really want to get an ak style rifle so i can 1) have an ak. 2) have a rifle that can easily reach 300 yards with more punch than my ar and with cheap ammo.

OR

Do i buy more ammo for my AR and become mkre proficient with my ar and worry about an ak and other guns later?

I am completely undecided and want some opinions please. Thanks for your help!

if you want an AK this is a good time to buy one as firearms are at low prices for now , it's possible you may not be able to buy an AK in a few years from now with anti assault weapon bans being pushed non stop on the west coast , just saying in a few years we may not be able to walk in and buy an AK or high cap magazines,
I hope we do not see this happen but the west coast liberals in office are hell bent on passing a bill to do so
on the other hand I read Russian imported ammo may be not imported soon but not sure where I read that ,
there is a lot of heat and a huge push for gun control right now, and AR's and AK's will be high on that list
I just read this a minute ago I hope this is not the first step of more to come
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/president-trump-directs-justice-department-to-ban-gun-modifications-like-bump-stocks-used-in-las-vegas-massacre/ar-BBJnGfk:(
I do think an advantage of the AR is parts will be easily available and 223/5.56 ammo will always be available at a fair cost, but if Russian bulk 7.62 x 39 goes away it will be a costly AK to feed , just some thoughts IMHO

Last Edited:
if you want an AK this is a good time to buy one as firearms are at low prices for now , it's possible you may not be able to buy an AK in a few years from now with anti assault weapon bans being pushed non stop on the west coast , just saying in a few years we may not be able to walk in and buy an AK or high cap magazines,
I hope we do not see this happen but the west coast liberals in office are hell bent on passing a bill to do so
on the other hand I read Russian imported ammo may be not imported soon but not sure where I read that ,
there is a lot of heat and a huge push for gun control right now, and AR's and AK's will be high on that list
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/president-trump-directs-justice-department-to-ban-gun-modifications-like-
bump-stocks-used-in-las-vegas-massacre/ar-BBJnGfk
:(

Thats kind of what i am thinking. I am thinking that living in oregon i am worried about some sort of ban happening. For me, if i were to wait i would buy it in summer and just buy ammo and a few steel targets and stuff for now. Irs not like i am pushing it off fpr a year or more. Its only temporary. My firearms purchasing goals this year ar AK, handgun,new ar 15 upper and eventually a lower, and a bolt action for some longer ranges.

I believe you've answered your own question...... you want an AK. :)

Now, if you are looking for something that shoots a 7.62x39, might I suggest a complete upper for your AR?

(i wanted something "different" too. I looked on PSA and found a "blem" 7.62x39 complete upper. Bought some ACS mags and am having a blast with it. Honestly, i like shooting it more with the 7.62x39 than the .223/5.56 on the lower.)

Just a suggestion. :)

That's a tough call to make for someone else.

Given what you wrote, not knowing you nor your particular concerns nor situation.

I'd recommend buying another AR (or few). Prices honestly can not be beet rite now. Ruger AR556 as an example, or other mid range models on here used with upgrades.

For longer distance consider jumping up to AR10 or G3 (PTR91)...7.62x51/.308.

It's not that great of a time (price wise) to get into the AK game, at least for the equivalent quality of the low priced AR's. Price difference for similar quality is +3 to $400. Then you need to think on mags, carriers, optics (or no) etc.

I'd been thinking on getting out of AK47's for a while now (prefer AK74's).

JMHO

To me this is a simple, simple answer. Buy more ammo! everytime you go to the range what ever you shoot buy twice as much to replace it. If your like me you will be surprised how quickly you can up your stock pile.

As for the AK I'm not a fan so I say go buy two or three more AR's while prices are at a low and get proficient with one style.

ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/president-trump-directs-justice-department-to-ban-gun-modifications-like-bump-stocks-used-in-las-vegas-massacre/ar-BBJnGfk:(
I do think an advantage of the AR is parts will be easily available and 223/5.56 ammo will always be available at a fair cost, but if Russian bulk 7.62 x 39 goes away it will be a costly AK to feed , just some thoughts IMHO
I disagree with the first part of this post as of Wednesday all the price of so called assult wepons has went up YOU SHOULD HAVE BAUGHT TWO WEEKS AGO I would say buy ammo and mags for what you have those will be the first to be banned so called hi cap mags and buying ammo through the mail

I am in favor of practice with what you have , until it becomes second nature...so I would be thinking along the lines of more ammo and good practice...not just shooting.

That said...
As always after a shooting , certain guns are up for bans and restrictions...so it might be good to get your AK copy if that is a rifle you want...
But what if AK copies are banned and there is no "Grandfather Clause"?....
Just something to think about...
Andy

I'd really like an AK, Pretty close to the top of my list in fact.

Having said that, you could get a couple thousand rounds for what you currently have and not be where I am an have very little ammo for a couple of my guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews