JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The ACLU has been gradually moving away from it's traditionally neutral stance regarding the 2A for quite a few years now. Most recently they are advocating for gun rights to apply to resident aliens as well as citizens, something even the GOA opposes apparently. Whether or not one agrees with the issue in particular, it's the latest in an encouraging trend.

Ross Eliot,
AGCR
Why Would Gun Owners of America Support Gun Rights? - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Their job is to protect Consitutional rights - although they are accused of being lefties, they are impartial as they can be, given a reasonable interpretation of the Consititution.

You guys need to do a little research on the founders and current leaders of the ACLU.

I may not agree with those folks on all things but like any organization that will support the rights of everyone from neo-nazis to anti-abortion protesters to environmentalist activists and then be wiling to change their mind to a more accepting stance on gun issues.

I see this as a political move to have all guns banned.Look carefully at this premise in relation to the United Nations stuff we are signing on about firearms.....The ACLU has gone completely left wing around the bend since its founding...Spad

You guys need to do a little research on the founders and current leaders of the ACLU.
I have & I'd wager that other posters on this thread have as well. Spad, I'd be sincerely interested in more info on your post-- I'd like to read up on what you mention.

Libertarians among others believe in civil liberties, and it's absolutely a personal right to support the ACLU or not. Organizations of all sorts evolve in ideology over time & we could dig metaphorical skeletons out of the closets of most organizations that've been around for 90+ years.

I don't agree with all of their policies or with the aims of some of the people/organizations that they've defended, but defending Constitutional rights equally will inevitably cause anger among some, depending on the case and an individual's own beliefs. For example, they've defended the 1A rights of some (IMHO) truly scurrilous characters and organizations that I utterly despise, as well as those of many people and organizations that I very much support. And that's what 1A (for example) protects- the right for all to express their opinions.

But the ACLU supports and defends all of our Constitutional rights. They've defended the Constitutional rights of Atheists & the Westboro Baptist Church with equal force. They've defended Lt. Col. Oliver North on the grounds that his 5A rights were infringed. They've defended the rights of American Neo-Nazis and Communists alike. In '06, they joined with The Second Amendment Foundation in central Washington State to force the library board to allow adult patrons to access firearms-related sites. I have OFF, NRA and ACLU stickers on my range bag since I don't have a truck :)

The ACLU has become in my opinion a more left leaning mindset of people looking for creating situations to keep thier jobs. No doubt they have done some good, just as other organizations have done in the past. I support your position that you can be a member and love the ACLU, afterall, it is supposed to be a free country. But atheist, far out BS, let them bend over an face Mecca everyday, that is thier privilidge. I find them to have lost the cause of freedom and have become a haven for not liberal people,but people lost in political causes to become part of something,just to be part of something. Spad.

See where our "lawmakers" want to curb " inceniary speech". A job for the ACLU has appeared I think. Will they jump in with both feet and say this is outrageous, we shall see.It is now not only politically incorrect to say or print certain words, but you can end up in jail, I rant on, sorry. I am not a young person anymore, but I can remember the days when you could refer top people with terms considered bad today and nothing was said about it. Taste in words,now words are outlawed, people persecuted, look at many sites on the net, ,can't write certainwords,the word police will get you.I understand the need for having the site clean so a child can read it,but dare say if a certain colloquialism is used you are banned. Only in past America these words were common and none got upset except now our supposed minority. Think about it, mere words banned, words used in the past considered too offensive for people to hear or write. Spad

I see this as a political move to have all guns banned.Look carefully at this premise in relation to the United Nations stuff we are signing on about firearms.....The ACLU has gone completely left wing around the bend since its founding...Spad

Really? Here's a list of about 75 specifically Christian related legal issues the ACLU has assisted with.
http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com/

+1
In the past the ACLU has not had a position on the 2nd. They do seem now to be moving toward working on those cases and appear to be doing what we would want them to do. Generally I support their efforts even when I don't agree with those they have to support. That is the point of supporting the Constitution.
Libertarians among others believe in civil liberties said:
don't[/I] agree with all of their policies or with the aims of some of the people/organizations that they've defended, but defending Constitutional rights equally will inevitably cause anger among some, depending on the case and an individual's own beliefs. For example, they've defended the 1A rights of some (IMHO) truly scurrilous characters and organizations that I utterly despise, as well as those of many people and organizations that I very much support. And that's what 1A (for example) protects- the right for all to express their opinions.

But the ACLU supports and defends all of our Constitutional rights. They've defended the Constitutional rights of Atheists & the Westboro Baptist Church with equal force. They've defended Lt. Col. Oliver North on the grounds that his 5A rights were infringed. They've defended the rights of American Neo-Nazis and Communists alike. In '06, they joined with The Second Amendment Foundation in central Washington State to force the library board to allow adult patrons to access firearms-related sites. I have OFF, NRA and ACLU stickers on my range bag since I don't have a truck :)

I'll believe the ACLU has changed when I see them listed on a SCOTUS case alongside (not opposing) the NRA!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I'll believe the ACLU has changed when I see them listed on a SCOTUS case alongside (not opposing) the NRA!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Oh, they've obviously got a long way to go still. I just appreciate that one more organization can't be so easily dismissed as entirely anti-gun. It's far too common that people focus only on the negatives.

Now if they would only support ALL legal gun owners rights. Their absence in recent SCOTUS cases regarding WaDC and Chicago speaks volumes.
I wonder, do they support a legal alien's right to carry concealed in Chicago and/or D.C? And if so, why not a citizen's right to same?
Yeah, that's what I thought. They have too many political buddies in both venues.

When they decide to support citizen's rights, according to the BofR across the board, they'll in turn, have my support.
Until they do, they'll have to rely on the limited support of the liberal/progressive base they pander to.
As evidenced by this thread.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Here you go! Notice it wasn't the first. <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show