JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw George Carlin's standup in Las Vegas a few years ago and he made a joke about that.

You live in suburbia with all your pal neighbors with their perfect lawns and barbeques. Well just wait until the lights and food go away for a couple weeks. Bob the neighbor will be sitting in the dark in his LazyBoy trying to figure out ways to kill you.

Not really a joke per se, LOL!. I remember looking at my friend and commenting that I'm glad I paid $45 to be cheered up.

About fifteen years ago I was talking to some experts from the Oregon Department of Geology and the subject turned to earthquakes and their expected damage. I pointed out that a quake in December or January would be much worse than one in July or August, since the level of soil saturation would be much worse. The experts shuddered and agreed that a wintertime quake would do MUCH more damage.

Now add cold and wet to the greater physical damage from the quake, and no fresh produce available.

Not a pretty picture.

1971 Sylmar

I was a civil air patrol cadet rescue worker in San Fernando CA, I saw:
Homes knocked off their foundations. (Visualize a neighborhood built of cards.)
Overpasses fall (crushed pickup truck, of two Western Electric workers Al Williams my friend's dad)
water mains break, natural gas pipe fracture, power fails.
Hospitals, municipal govt structures fail.
Telecommunications fail (underground cables break, backup power 8 hours, diesel for a few days.)
Malls collapse, subside
people helping people everywhere. pics

1989 Loma Prieta pics
<broken link removed> pics 1971 overpass rebuilt, fell again, killed LAPD officer
1700 quake

Notice older buildings with iron plates on outside walls between floors?
Built before 1931, no internal structure.
A fire will burn the wood beams and they will collapse
A quake will shake the bricks loose and you can watch the breeze make the walls sway If they don't fall right away

If you don't prepare now, then you are ignorant sheep, or a marauder wolf.

This thread is aging a little, but I'd like to hear more from people who've done their homework. As others have said, my primary reason for preparing is the likely event of an earthquake. It's not so much the quake that worries me though, so much as the tsunami that is promised. Has anyone narrowed down the likely inundation zone for an incoming tsunami? I have read conflicting things. Some articles say that it'll go 300 miles inland, Some say that anybody at an elevation of over 300 feet will be fine. I haven't heard any effect it'll have on the local rivers. I know it's best to try to blanket prepare for all eventualities, but it would certainly be easier to narrow it down to just the most likely.

Does anyone have any better reading material than the conflicting articles I have found?

Blaylocke;
Tsunami inundation zones depends on where the quake is, how strong, what type of fault.
Sumatra Indonesia tidal wave hit Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Africa.
Fukushima Japan tidal wave caused damage at Crescent City Calif.
Bangladesh and nearby parts of India are flat and at sea level. A tidal wave would go a long way there.
Same as south part of Florida and it's keys.
My friend built a cottage in Lincoln City, ten feet above the hi tide line. The Fukushima tsunami wave didn't hurt it. The next one may turn it into toothpicks.

Blaylock, Oregon has a great Tsunami zone map, with areas painted based on how bad the tsunami is. Real well done. The newest version is a charge, but the last one was on the net.

If a Tsunami devastated the Valley up to 300 ft. MSL, it would leave Eugene as the largest city in Oregon.

Most of Portland would be wiped out, along with Salem, Albany, Corvallis, Newberg and McMinnville. Higher elevations of Oregon City and West Linn would escape inundation. We can assume that there would be no city left along the Coast.

Something to think about!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads