JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw that article this morning. The first thing they do is quote a statistic from the CDC, which is a correct number, but fail to note one important point. They note that there were roughly 31,000 deaths by firearm (assuming they were referring to the latest 2010 numbers on the CDC site). Yet of those 31,000, a full 61% were by suicide. 11,078 were used in homicides. I don't think you can blame the gun industry or gun owners for roughly 18,910 people that wanted to end their own lives and chose a gun.

I think it's interesting to note something else. They stated there are roughly 270,000,000 to 310,000,000 guns in the US. So, if you take that 11,078 homicides and divide it by the lower number (to keep it conservative), you find that 11,078/270,000,000 = .0041% of guns in the US were used to commit a homicide, or in other words, 269,988,922 guns were not used to commit a homicide (assuming only 1 homicide per firearm).

When you look at real numbers, it tells a different story. The US may have more guns per capita than any other country, but look at the stats - we keep our guns under control - by a huge margin! These anti-gun folks love to twist the numbers to get an emotional response. Unfortunately, it works. I wonder if they have any concern at all about the number of accidental deaths by drowning per year (3,782) or accidental deaths by smoke inhalation (2,782) versus accidental deaths by firearm discharge (606). Using those numbers and only those accidental death causes, guns account for 8.4% of accidental deaths. Yet the focus on prevention is on the guns, again.

It just doesn't add up. But coming from MSN/MSNBC, I'm certainly not surprised.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top