JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well that makes sense. I guess I was confused as I assumed this was a legal purchase with a completed and passed BGC.
It has been very strange. When it's happened the buyer passed Insta Check, State did not say no or yes so FFL let's gun go. Then state comes back saying hold it. Buyer may still eventually pass but, state wants gun at FFL while they do more checking. Guess some pass the Insta but state still doesn't want them having a hand gun at the time. Real whores nest mess right now.:mad:

I take it you have not had a disagreement with the Gubmint before?

In plain English, the FFL can release the firearm under the circumstances stipulated.

But anyone who has ever made a payroll knows when the Gov't rules contradict, the citizen pays the price.

The FFL that releases such a weapon prior to the BGC coming back runs the risk of having to defend that position, in court, with real dollars, if Inslee's stooges have a different interpretation of the law.

The FFL has to weigh the cost of defending their lawful actions.

That is NOT a hypothetical. That is the actual dilemma.
I understand the dilemma, but all businesses are subject to unwaranted lawsuits. ImHO the FFL's first duty is to his customer. Does he really have a duty to public safety or to the customer and the law. Hell...the LE's have no duty anymore to public safety and the pols have none to the law. But , I'm not an FFL, so Machs nix.

There is a difference between 'unwarranted' and 'unprovoked'.

I am NOT saying the government is always right, or even always wins.

But a man has to count the cost of building a house before he breaks ground. The government has DEEP pockets, because they are ours!

Write some checks for your legals fees for defending your LEGAL, CORRECT actions and you'll pick up what I am putting down.

Last Edited:
ImHO the FFL's first duty is to his customer. Does he really have a duty to public safety or to the customer and the law.
I am assuming the 2nd sentance is a question. And if so YES, the FFL does have a duty to public safety and the law to PROTECT HIM/HER SELF.

Say buyer comes in on day one dressed in a three piece suit and is very polite and proper - yet fails his BGC.

Then on day 11 the buyer comes back suffering from the soaking sweats and terminal psychosis demanding his gun because YOU told him you would relinquish it to him. Would you hand it over because your first 'duty' is to your customer?

I don't recall saying that I bought it from Vancouver PD, they are the ones I was told was doing the bgc. And tropics policy is they won't release the gun till after they get confirmation from them. Even after 10 business days, so there you have it edison.
I'm sorry, but you're mad at a FFL for following their policies?

Why are you guys giving @3wcoupe such a hard time? I totally get his point. The FFL is the expert, not the customer. Plenty of people come in there with way less preparation than he did. While it's not necessarily legally required, the proper thing to do is to set expectations from the outset. They should have informed him of store policy. He shouldn't have had to ask. It's just the right thing to do.

Gosh darn it, I want my pistol while I'm still mad!

Yes it's annoying and the people of Washington decided that's fine. Don't be mad at your chosen FFL for following the law, nowhere did it say they must release a weapon after 10 days, just that they can. If they choose not to, it's probably because we live in a litigious society and they don't want to deal with a lawsuit when someone does something dumb before they get a bonafide "proceed"

So the police have to go retrieve it? Then what? You get it from them? That doesn't sound right but then again WA laws have changed quite a bit since I was kicking around Puget Sound.
Ha, this is all news to me! I just pay money, fill out form, address on form determines who gets my bgc, FFL sends to the agency whose jurisdiction I reside, get a proceed within 4 or 5 days.

What sucks, is you're at the mercy of whatever jurisdiction you live in. Some take it seriously and try to get your check done right away, some contract it out, some just don't seem to care and it makes the FFL out to be the bad guy.

This is all because the DOL got called out by the feds for re-running bgc even though you got one for your CHL and you got one point of sale.

I understand the dilemma, but all businesses are subject to unwaranted lawsuits. ImHO the FFL's first duty is to his customer. Does he really have a duty to public safety or to the customer and the law. Hell...the LE's have no duty anymore to public safety and the pols have none to the law. But , I'm not an FFL, so Machs nix.
So, how many checks have you written to settle your frivolous lawsuit defense cases lately?

Legal fees are not a hypothetical.

as a side note , went to bimart yesterday and their entire gun section was empty , all guns removed from display, with a sign stating they will no longer sale firearms or ammo and all pending sales are canceled until the Clark county system is up and running ,

Disclosure: I didn't read all the posts in this thread. :eek:

AFAIK, non release is almost EVERY FFL's policy... too much liability with the possibility of some richardbite doing a bad and then the media publicizes where the gun was bought and they get slammed.

This is true in WA, OR, ID, in my experience. Good luck finding a dealer that will let you have it just because the law says it is legal to do so!

I have a dealer that allows it, I was once delayed for a year, but he knows me personally and therefore knows I am not a BG/DoBad. Still, it IS a risk on his part.

Why are you guys giving @3wcoupe such a hard time? I totally get his point. The FFL is the expert, not the customer. Plenty of people come in there with way less preparation than he did. While it's not necessarily legally required, the proper thing to do is to set expectations from the outset. They should have informed him of store policy. He shouldn't have had to ask. It's just the right thing to do.
Sorry, disagree completely. Caveat emptor. Surely you've seen this diagram:

A55/U/ME.

Make assumptions and you get what you get. Then subsequent whining about your own indolence is just crass.

The whole point of recent gun control initiatives and laws (written by Gun Control Inc) advocates was to impede and harrass gun owners to make it more complicated. Since they already know gun control doesn't stop actual criminals.

to impede and harrass gun owners to make it more complicated.
Yep ,
Look at bimart , even stopped selling ammo do to the background check issues and the system inop
I do not understand that
I think FFL's don't want to take any chances because if something happens they will get no mercy in the NW courts from the District Attorney

Hawking and Tesla are taken, so can I be Mandelbrot?
No, you can be Rorschach. But not the one you're thinking of:

main-qimg-5671a1430b698174ae56105ce8894de5-c.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews